Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

On 12/28/2018 at 1:04 PM, Brundlefly said:

Bring us Azkaban!

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Jay, any chance you could post the cue list for POA (not the sheet music or Ascap list) with all the correct slates and titles?

These two guys are right!

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I find myself mostly attracted to the more 'insignificant' cues, like Winter's Spell, the courtyard and the pub music. The latter is just so amazing.

I keep getting drawn back to cues I never knew I would love like Crystal Ball and Summoning the Patronus. Also loving all the Pettigrew material. I love it all really. LOL.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Speaking of Summoning the Patronus, anyone know what that deep instrument is when the choir kicks in for the succesful Patronus? There's something primal and unearthly about it that I just love.

The deep instrument sounds to me like a few instruments combined - probably sustained low brass with churning double basses (and cellos?) below. There very well could be some bassoons woven in there, but they tend to blend so well that they're hard to pick out. And then I'm sure there's at least a little bit of help from the synths. It's a really wonderful texture...yet another incredible moment from this score!

• 1 month later...

No idea if people already mentioned this, but is it a weird unnecessary fade-in that I'm hearing at 2:18 in A Walk in the Woods and Bird's Flight in the Azkaban score? Doesn't sound like a performance thing!

7 hours ago, Chewy said:

No idea if people already mentioned this, but is it a weird unnecessary fade-in that I'm hearing at 2:18 in A Walk in the Woods and Bird's Flight in the Azkaban score? Doesn't sound like a performance thing!

Yes, that's bugged me for a while as well. Bit distracting.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's too extensive and pricey for most Potter fans - for them a single album of highlights would suffice.

On 4/17/2019 at 2:56 AM, crumbs said:

Yes, that's bugged me for a while as well. Bit distracting.

Mike and his fade-ins... :pat:

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Anyone else astonished that this is still in stock/in print?

I am. I remember posting back in November my opinion that this set would be gone in a matter of weeks.

It’s all the more surprising for the HP box set because it had so much going for it— a globally-beloved property with pent-up demand for expanded scores by the world’s most beloved (film) composer, released at peak holiday shopping season  alongside the theatrical release of FB CoG...

If our community is indeed dying out, let us pray at least that all remaining JW scores get the expanded treatment they deserve before the clock runs out.

I know we all want it to sell because LLL makes its money back and, well, it's cool when something has sold a shit ton.

But when this is sold out, we go back to only the OSTs being available, like JP is now (outside the US).

Maybe most people don't care about HP anymore. I can't blame them either, but the days leading up to Black Friday, seeing the announcement appear live and the excitement that followed are days I won't forget very soon.

It's rather a case of having adjusted to the new 'normal' that all of JW's Potter scores are complete. Same with many of his scores now - the days of most of his filmography only being available as a listening experience are gone.

Guess it depends how much we can read into the variance in order numbers across that first few hours of ordering (factoring in that hundreds of orders that day might not have included the Potter box). 

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a thought while listening to POA (presentation still growing on me): Are Befriending the Hippogriff (so not the entire track) and Buckbeak's Flight meant to segue into one another?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I just had a thought while listening to POA (presentation still growing on me): Are Befriending the Hippogriff (so not the entire track) and Buckbeak's Flight meant to segue into one another?

Yep! Also, the drums are a revised opening to the cue; the edit in the film seems to capture Williams' original intention for the segue, completely skipping the quietly pulsing woodwinds. The full original opening to the cue has never been heard; it's a longer version of those pulsing woodwinds. If the original opening had been used, it also would have segued directly from the last note of Befriending the Hippogriff.

1 minute ago, Datameister said:

The full original opening to the cue has never been heard; it's a longer version of those pulsing woodwinds.

If it's not on the new set, is that because it wasn't recorded?

4 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Yep! Also, the drums are a revised opening to the cue; the edit in the film seems to capture Williams' original intention for the segue, completely skipping the quietly pulsing woodwinds. The full original opening to the cue has never been heard; it's a longer version of those pulsing woodwinds. If the original opening had been used, it also would have segued directly from the last note of Befriending the Hippogriff.

Ooh, interesting, thank you for that! I shall revisit my edit right away.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not necessarily. We haven't been told what was recorded but ultimately omitted on the LLL set (other than the alternate Aunt Marge Points the Finger).

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think it was recorded, because the end credits suite on the OST is slightly different in the way it edits down that passage. But it's hard to say for sure.

Just now, crumbs said:

Not necessarily. We haven't been told what was recorded and not included on the new set (other than the alternate of Aunt Marge Points the Finger).

And @Jay, who worked as a consultant on the set, is not at liberty to say?

The full original opening was recorded when the original version of the cue was  Later, the drum opening was written and recorded, which was edited over the original opening in the film and on the OST (and the LLL CD)

Interesting bit of info. Thanks @Jay.

Are you aware of the original opening being heard partially in the film or bonus material somewhere? Would a mockup be possible if the sheet music has leaked?

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then I guess JW didn't want the long original opening included on the new set. Fair enough.

Would it be substantially longer than the revised insert? I'd have to compare with the film but I don't remember there being a huge timing difference.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

The sheet music has leaked and mockups have been floating around ever since

I'm a bit ignorant on this topic so these might be some silly questions, but could you please clarify exactly what it means when "sheet music" leaks for a score? I'm assuming we're talking scans of JW's handwritten sheet music in this instance, not leaks of the fully orchestrated score as distributed to an orchestra during the recording sessions?

How exactly does something like that leak anyway? Recording session leaks I can understand (given they're recorded digitally and probably shared among industry workers) but how would JW's handwritten sketches leak for older scores unless every page were digitally scanned at some point? Is that how his scores are distributed to orchestrators/JKMS to extrapolate nowadays?

And being the original sheet music, such a leak wouldn't include revisions made at the podium or inserts written late in the schedule, hence occasionally not knowing exactly what was/wasn't recorded based purely on the contents of a sheet music leak (which could be incomplete anyway)?

It looks like this

image.png

How does it leak?  I dunno, someone gets it and gives it to a friend, who gives it to a friend, who gives it to a friend....  who knows