Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

I usually prefer listening to complete scores than to OSTs because with an OST you don't get the full picture and you might not get the best version of a cue. Many times the film version of a cue is much better than what we get on the OST. Thematic development is often ruined on a 1 hour OST because of chronology problems & missing music.

For not nearly all scores that deserve it (or not to the extent), and after decades of only having the butchered one available!

So how did the Azkaban prototype OST leak years ago and it wasn't common knowledge on here? Does that mean people have already had the Shrieking Shack cue for literally years before the LLL came out?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

So how did the Azkaban prototype OST leak years ago and it wasn't common knowledge on here?

Tons of stuff leaks privately among small circles of fans that don't get discussed on public forums

Does that mean people have already had the Shrieking Shack cue for literally years before the LLL came out?

Yes.

The LLL tracks adds the short cue the precedes the scene to the front of the track.  I think that's it

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

What we want: John Williams recording sessions leaks

What we get: Bryan Tyler Bates recording sessions leaks :pukeface:

yeah

Actually I forgot that one cue from ROTS did leak out - "6m4 Heroes Collide", but that's publicly available now too

Just now, Jay said:

Actually I forgot that one cue from ROTS did leak out - "6m4 Heroes Collide", but that's publicly available now too

I am the Senate didn't leak?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm not overly familiar with the cue titles for ROTS. Is this the same cue that was featured in the DVD documentary, with Anakin/Obi fighting atop the narrow bar then getting trapped at the end of the big metal structure after lava engulfs their path (the cue with those fantastic bells)? 

I can't think of any other unreleased music from their battle sequence (other than the edited stuff in Anakin v Obi Wan). 

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not sure, but you may be thinking of an April Fools joke I pulled a few years back.

Haha. I asked that because I read somewhere that : "I am the Senate" was supposed to be on the OST (like the Shriecking Shack cue).

How annoying. Both those cues would've added significantly to that OST presentation, plus an unedited version of Heroes Collide. 

It's interesting to see how Williams' Star Wars soundtrack assemblies have changed since becoming so involved with Matessino and expansions. Basically maxing out the album space, sticking to a mostly chronological presentation, and no longer reprising concert suites wholesale in the end credits. I guess he was really spoiled for choice with both scores, considering they're two of the longest scores in his career (if not the longest). 

54 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

To be fair, if I Am The Senate had been included, everyone would be wanting to hear Grievous and the Droids, which was not on the original tracklist.

But I Am The Senate is a better piece, especially in complete form.

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

To be fair, if I Am The Senate had been included, everyone would be wanting to hear Grievous and the Droids, which was not on the original tracklist.

True. A completely unused, unreleased cue? We'd have been rabid. At least I Am the Senate is partially heard in the film.

2 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Wasn't the end used? and tracked into the later Grievous scenes?

Oh you're totally right on both counts. I've been away from that score for too long!

Either way had it been unreleased we might not even known about the entire first half, aside from the sheet music and possibly video games. Whether we had gotten IATS or GATD (yes, I did just abbreviate them) it's a lose-lose situation either way.

The repetition isn't "horrible" - I don't even dislike it. But it is there. Throw in the train ride to Hogwarts, and you've got what, five statements of the A theme copied verbatim from the same part of the trailer score, all in the first act? That's very atypical for Williams.