Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Maybe someone requested these verbatim statements for those scenes. You're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in.

Exactly my point; like I said, it must have been a case of a temp track (featuring the trailer music) being followed pretty literally, probably at the request of the filmmakers. 🙂

I remember the critics calling the score repetitive - what a load of bollocks! Isn't that how a theme or motif operates, through repetition?

I usually like CC’s reviews but his Harry Potter takes are absurd, he actually reduced the rating from 4 stars to 3 after reviewing the LLL expansion!

1202D219-4201-4BD2-912E-30AABFECA044.png

Another Clemmenson misfire. Both the abandonment of the big main theme - milked beyond its worth in Part I - and the more airy new themes were a simple necessity to address Cuaron's wishes for a less bombastic/theatrical style (and probably also for a less russian, more english folk type of music). 

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Were one to apply to same idiotic rationale to The Lost World, you would rate that score 0 stars, simply because it abandoned practically everything the previous score established, entirely at the service of a drastically different movie (just as Azkaban dutifully reinvents the Potter series into a more mature, atmospheric tale than what Columbus established in his two films).

I checked and right on the money, CC gives Jurassic Park 5 stars and Lost World 3 stars. At least he's consistent.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I don't think a single Williams score has personified the director's vision more succinctly than the score for Azkaban, at least in the last several decades. Clummenson comes across as a clueless tit. The concept of strict thematic retention across multiple films might have merit in specific circumstances but it's utterly irrelevant compared to the composer's ultimate responsibility: scoring a film on its own merits.

Clem seems like the sort of bloke who knocks points off if the CD spines don't match.

Just now, bollemanneke said:

CC is right about senseless discontinuity in this score, but what on earth does he mean by that Hedwig B phrase thing absent from the opening? What is that?!

The flying/Nimbus theme IIRC?

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

CC is right about senseless discontinuity in this score, but what on earth does he mean by that Hedwig B phrase thing absent from the opening? What is that?!

8 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

The flying/Nimbus theme IIRC?

He means that for the title in HP1 and HP2 there is a grandiose horn statement of the B-Phrase of hedwig's theme (typically used for establishing shots of Hogwarts). The one in HP3 he says is weaksuace by comparison. 

I just can't knock POA for breaking continuity a) because it's so brilliant in its own right and b) because there's really no way to tell how it would have gelled in an 8-score series by Williams. The problem is that the story itself is a bit of a detour from the formula of the first two (particularly no Voldemort) so it remains a question mark. I like to think the Past theme would have stuck around if nothing else and the core stuff from the first two would have been re-integrated, and maybe some of the medieval character would have remained making POA feel essential to the scope of the thing. Instead it's a reset button which is a trend that basically continued with every composer change, leaving the series with a lot of dangling participles and not much of an arc, musically.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He means that for the title in HP1 and HP2 there is a grandiose horn statement of the B-Phrase of hedwig's theme (typically used for establishing shots of Hogwarts). The one in HP3 he says is weaksuace by comparison. 

That's what I thought, but he keeps banging on about this B phrase being absent when it's clearly present in some cues of which he says it's not.

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=74438#74458

It's been 3 or 4 months since I re-wrote those reviews (such is life at the moment), but upon hearing the LLL set for the first time, I remember Sorcerer's Stone being exactly what I expected it to be (probably because I had already reviewed the bootleg), Chamber of Secrets being overwhelmingly impressive in expansion, and Prisoner of Azkaban being surprisingly tedious and even more disconnected from the franchise than I had recalled. The expanded presentation of Azkaban was a significant disappointment.

All three scores originally received a 4-star rating, and all of them have now changed. The first two should be in the top 5 or 6 for their years.

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I can't believe we're still missing the shawm cue!

And the original Buckbeak's Flight intro! It's sad cause I'm sure there is still free space for it on the CDs!

And Marge Points the Finger alternate from the DVD menus! Though I concede there was absolutely no space on the disc for those 5 seconds. And technically we're missing clean openings necessary to recreate the HP2 tracking and a clean opening for the intended Diagon Alley without the quickly abandoned Reveal Insert over it, so the sessions for 1 aren't completely obsolete.

Jay called it Reveal Insert the one time he addressed it. We have no more information about it at all.