Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

9 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I think DH1 is a great score. I put it on a par with GoF. 

The others aren’t as good but shur they’re not Child’s Play 2 levels of crap or whatever.

Let rip, @Kasey Kockroach!

So how would all the ource music be handled on GoF? All the World Cup stuff (duduk, ney fit, percussion, sitar, oirish, bagpipes) could maybe go after the main program better. Was Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy-warty Hogwarts recorded with a choir? It has no place to fit in the cue sheet but if it was, it should be in there somewhere. I'd be bummed if we only got the fleshed out OST version of the Hogwarts March, the abruptly interrupted version works so well between Voldemort and Cedric's Death and an incomplete version would belong well after Dumbledore's Warning to frame that whole final setpiece.

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

So how would all the ource music be handled on GoF? All the World Cup stuff (duduk, ney fit, percussion, sitar, oirish, bagpipes) could maybe go after the main program better. Was Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy-warty Hogwarts recorded with a choir? It has no place to fit in the cue sheet but if it was, it should be in there somewhere. I'd be bummed if we only got the fleshed out OST version of the Hogwarts March, the abruptly interrupted version works so well between Voldemort and Cedric's Death and an incomplete version would belong well after Dumbledore's Warning to frame that whole final setpiece.

I bet we might as well forget the incomplete march versions. I wouldn't be too fussed about the World Cup source music missing, espeically that dull drums cue.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It seems there's nothing new to talk about in this thread...

:lock2:

cyclical circle jerks about why we hate things are the only thing keeping this forum going. 

The OOTP score mops the floor with HBP. What a downright snore of a score and even worse film. 

And what sane composer doesn't quote Fawkes' theme in his farewell scene (or the Dumbledore escape scene in the film prior). But at least he saw fit to quote Quidditch Third Year for a Hallmark Channel-esque teenage romance/jealousy montage. :rolleyes:

As sparse as they are, the Hooper and Desplat scores fit their films like a glove and I think this was Yates' style as a filmmaker to tone everything right down. OOTP at least has some spirit in the music that reflects the story; all the Dumbledore's Army sequences are scored brilliantly. Personally, by the later films, I was less concerned with wishing the score would carry the narrative, and just followed the story and everything else instead.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

And what sane composer doesn't quote Fawkes' theme in his farewell scene (or the Dumbledore escape scene in the film prior). But at least he saw fit to quote Quidditch Third Year for a Hallmark Channel-esque teenage romance/jealousy montage. :rolleyes:

I can live without Fawkes’ theme there. But the the biggest missed opportunity was not having Fawkes actually sing in the second and 6th movies. I can imagine Williams collaborating with the sound design team to come up with something incredible, then it would’ve been magnificent to hear it reprised after Dumbledore’s death 

I totally agree that 4 might stress the high frequencies of some instruments a bit too often, but then again, Doyle tends to do that a lot. It's still the score that made me interested in film music, though, and I love every note of it to this day.

What really bothers me about 5 and 6 is, as has been pointed out above already, how thin they are. I always feel like I'm listening to 50% of an orchestra.

7 is a really intelligent score, it only has too much of that synthetic bass. 8 is quite okay, but less intelligent than 7 and I really hate how they suddenly went: 'Oh my God, this is the last score in the series! LET'S PUT NEED HEDWIG's THEME ALL OVER IT!!!!!' 

I revisited them last night, and the one main criticism I have is that on surface level they're almost devoid of obvious thematic material. I can't hum a single repeating theme that he wrote for either score. Lots of melodies I can remember, but actual assigned thematic ideas? I got nothing.

In terms of material, some of it's good and some of it's just 'there' as a perfectly functional, but completely ordinary score. I personally like it as a nice background listen.

Then there's the OOTP album which is hilariously out of film order.

There's really no developed thematic material to speak of. OOTP you've got Umbridge's theme popping up a few times. HBP actually does have a handful of recurring motifs but with little to no variation. Plus the "possession" melody that pops up in both but it's barely worth noting.

12 hours ago, mstrox said:

Beyond "they're not John Williams,"  I have no real problems with any of the Harry Potter scores.  I initially was a bit bored with Desplat's scores, but I came around to them

Goblet of Fire probably has the most character to it, and it contains some of my favorite non-Williams moments from the series, but it also really wears on me as a whole. Doyle's style is not always to my taste. Hooper's efforts have grown on me significantly, after initially having quite a low opinion of them. DH1 has all the professional nuance that Hooper's Potter scores lack...it's just not very remarkable melodically. DH2 I'm not too familiar with. It never impressed me enough in the film to want to listen to it on its own (although the beautifully inevitable "Leaving Hogwarts" reprise really got me on my first viewing).

The title track on the Goblet OST is such a great cue

I’ve never really dug into that score deeply, I just know it’s the non Williams one I enjoy listening to the most.  Never bothered seeking out the sessions or anything.

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

Goblet of Fire probably has the most character to it, and it contains some of my favorite non-Williams moments from the series, but it also really wears on me as a whole. Doyle's style is not always to my taste. Hooper's efforts have grown on me significantly, after initially having quite a low opinion of them. DH1 has all the professional nuance that Hooper's Potter scores lack...it's just not very remarkable melodically. DH2 I'm not too familiar with. It never impressed me enough in the film to want to listen to it on its own (although the beautifully inevitable "Leaving Hogwarts" reprise really got me on my first viewing).

This pretty much sums up my view of the non-JW scores. Desplat's are the most professional and well -crafted, but they're also largely the least interesting.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The title track on the Goblet OST is such a great cue

I’ve never really dug into that score deeply, I just know it’s the non Williams one I enjoy listening to the most.  Never bothered seeking out the sessions or anything.

Yes, it's probably the best opening of the series, I get goosebumps hearing the score as Nagini slithers up the statue!

I seem to remember a few cues on the sessions leak were labelled 'damaged' and had crackling, I hope this doesn't spell bad news for a proper expansion.

Many cues have subtle crackling and some of them have very very heavy crackling. I really hope it's not a problem with the source.

I think Doyle's score does a good job layering in new themes while maintaining the spirit of JW's scores, while also not being beholden to the first 3 musically.

Arguably he took JW's lead after seeing how he approached POA.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Many cues have subtle crackling and some of them have very very heavy crackling. I really hope it's not a problem with the source.

It isn't, the sessions source was just damaged, nothing more.