Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, Alex said:

The counterpoint during Quidditch Third Year is arguably some of JW’s strongest ever writing (the bass line omg).

After seeing Azkaban live in concert, I came to really love the timbani in that cue, and the percussion in all the action music in general, more so than I ever had before.  Made me fall in love with the score all over again

Agreed!

Speaking of which, my extremely nit-picky ear has detected the tiniest of glitches, at 9:28 on the track "Time Past - Saving Buckbeak" there's the slightest jolt in the music, as if it's been time stretched for a split second just before the gorgeous film version of the Buckbeack eating bats music enters. It's absolutely nothing that can't be either fixed or (more likely) ignored. In fact I'm sure most people won't notice it - I was one of the few people who couldn't listen to the isolated score recording of "Rey's Journey" from TLJ because of the obvious time-stretching.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because it's literally the only "problem" I could hear in my first impressions of listening to the set. It's an absolutely phenomenal piece of work, lovingly and beautifully put together by all involved. Kudos to all of you who contributed.

2 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I really shouldn't be on here because I don't have my copy but this is all so interesting to read I can't look away.

I feel you... Mine is still traveling around the US from one airport to the other... Someone has to tell them that Germany is in Europe 😂

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I could ask Mike to dig out and check the original files WB gave him, but frankly I don't consider that to be a valuable use of his time.  There is nothing wrong with how any of these cues sound, and any fan who wishes to do so could replace them with the same passages taken from the OST album if desired.

People only know about this "problem" because they looked at the music, instead of listening to it.

Well, Home alone also sounded perfectly fine and a new edition was released by the same label a few years later....

I just hope they dont sell the definitive edition set next year, because i could not afford it...

Film mixes means "film stems" or final mixes of the tracks for use in the film?I suppose it is the latter due to the completesness of the set :)

One nitpick, doesn’t the very start of that ascending “Flying Car” intro coming out of “The Train Station” feel slightly delayed? Couldn’t help but notice. Like that first note on the downbeat holds a half-second too long.

May just be another one of those “they added an extra frame” things.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

One nitpick, doesn’t the very start of that ascending “Flying Car” intro coming out of “The Train Station” feel slightly delayed? Couldn’t help but notice. Like that first note on the downbeat holds a half-second too long.

May just be another one of those “they added an extra frame” things.

Yeah I just noticed that as well. It's possible that's how it is in the film; I'm not sure what MM's process entails exactly, but personally when doing my edits I use the film audio as a reference, and match the music up to that, even if it sounds a bit off.

No-one's mentioned "Hedwig's Theme For Harp" which is a wonderful little find. Perhaps the original idea for "Fluffy's Harp"? Probably a good move to go away from this theme for more diegetic music, I never really liked how Hagrid's Flute used it so brazenly.

So basicallly  HPSS Teaser from 1.53 to 2.14 is a section of the recording we never heard before , but it's the one Williams ended up using for the concert version of Hedwig's Theme. I was always disappointed that he omitted Teaser 1.20 to 1.53 from the concert version.

Question :Was the opening of POA End Credits recorded like that or it's an insert?

Actually, there is one small piece of music that appears to be missing, from the "trailer" (the opening on this set is different than what was in the actual trailer, but the rest is the same).

trailer_mus_reconstructed.wav

21 minutes ago, King Mark said:

could be the logo music

Nope, it's definitely part of the trailer sessions. The film's scoring sessions hadn't even taken place when the trailer was released. Also I'm not talking about the celeste part, I'm talking about the part just after that.

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

The frequencies cut-off thing is a real bummer, is it too late to cancel my order?

🤣 🤣 🤣

Is it too early to hope a correction of this and that LLL will send us free replacement CD?

Welp, I've tried ripping it on two separate devices and can officially say my disc 1 is defective -- I get some nasty skips near the end of track 24. Hopefully, that's my only problem disc. I didn't have time last night to check any of the others.

24 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Welp, I've tried ripping it on two separate devices and can officially say my disc 1 is defective -- I get some nasty skips near the end of track 24. Hopefully, that's my only problem disc. I didn't have time last night to check any of the others.

Man that sucks! 

Anybody else have a similar problem with that track or any other?

The harp version of Hedwig's Theme was definitely a beautiful little surprise.  I hadn't even noticed it on the tracklist when the set was initially announced (so much to take in!) so I was taken off guard when it came up on my listen through the set last night.

I listened to disc 3 in the car this morning on the way to work, and I had forgotten what order all the various things appear in and I was pleasantly surprised when it came on too.  It was nice listening to a lot of the pieces on this disc with no distractions

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Oh man, that's bad. It's concerning especially for those of us who are still waiting that the discs may be defective. Here's hoping LLL can get yours sorted!

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Man that sucks! 

Anybody else have a similar problem with that track or any other?

You all use EAC and then tries on a 2nd computer if you still have errors?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It was never intended to be used in the film, and certainly not for the Fluffy scene; The only cue ever written for that scene was in the main program.  I don't know if we'll ever know specifically why this harp piece was written and recorded, other than, I guess, JW just liked it, and maybe thought he could put it on the album somewhere.  I dunno.  But I'm glad it exists!

The score of the harp arrangement of Hedwig's theme is published by Hal Leonard, together with the solo harp version of Fluffy's Harp. See here, for example:

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/two-themes-from-harry-potter-and-the-sorcerer-s-stone-sheet-music/4005334

I don't have this score, but there is an image of the first page of the Hedwig's theme cue, and it matches the recording perfectly. So, I guess it's a nice small cue that was probably written according to the same logic that motivated the Children's Suite.

To summarize: the score I linked should contain the Hedwig's theme arrangement and the film cue (probably in the original form, but I don't have the score to check, maybe someone else can confirm), while the piece in the Children's Suite is like the film cue, but with the added bassoon.

12 minutes ago, Alan said:

Is that an alternate to Journey To Hogwarts at the end of Trouble Takes Many Forms?

Yes (but the cue is called "The Train To Hogwarts" not "Journey to Hogwarts")

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yes (but the cue is called "The Train To Hogwarts" not "Journey to Hogwarts")

Ah! Got my cues mixed up. Thanks :)

The new endings to both HWW and Diagon Alley were written after the HP1 recording sessions were finished and he was preparing the sheet music for publishing

You guys are too harsh on the Prague Philharmonic! The original is always the best, but their recordings are often the second best thing! 

I for one love this recording of DT from the Prague Philharmonic! It's almost as good as the original, I dare say:

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like a lot of their recordings, and those recordings aren't hurting you guys!

Exactly!