Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

What's about this high frequency issue? Is it in any way noticeable or is it as @Disco Stu said just people "who get bothered by things they can see on graphs but can’t actually hear"?

We want replacement CDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LLL sells lossy CDs!!!!!!!

Mike Matessino lost his "God" status. He's just a semi-God now.

:pfft:

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

We want replacement CDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LLL sells lossy CDs!!!!!!!

I'm just asking, as some people made a drama out of it, but no one ever said anything about the seemingly sublime sound quality.

@Once best avatar ever... and cute.... 😎

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm just asking, as some people made a drama out of it, but no one ever said anything about the seemingly sublime sound quality.

Well, again it's Shawn Murphy's fault.

We must stop this guy NOW!!!!

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, you know, people were saying the same thing about Harry Potter when it came out. And they were saying that about Jurassic Park and Hook. It just depends on which generation of JW fan are you part of.

Karol

I had the feeling someone would reply with something like this, and I would caution against making a generalization so absolute as that. 

Just now, Nick Parker said:

I had the feeling someone would reply with something like this, and I would caution against making a generalization so absolute as that. 

It's true though. 

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

It's true though. 

Karol

It's cute, but frankly I'm surprised you would advocate for that kind of snap appraisal. 

I would say there's a demonstrable difference in the type of score you hear in say, Harry Potter, vs. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi (the brunts of my initial comment), and not just in the sense of inevitable development in his style. 

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

It's cute, but frankly I'm surprised you would advocate for that kind of snap appraisal. 

I would say there's a demonstrable difference in the type of score you hear in say, Harry Potter, vs. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi (the brunts of my initial comment), and not just in the sense of inevitable development in his style. 

Well, the I like those more than HP. I'm not being facetious, by the way.

Karol

16 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What's about this high frequency issue? Is it in any way noticeable or is it as @Disco Stu said just people "who get bothered by things they can see on graphs but can’t actually hear"?

Since no one else seems to want to answer you; no, it is not at all noticeable. I always listen with professional studio headphones, and I can say that without someone having pointing it out, I would not have noticed any different whatsoever. Even with the visible cutoff, they still, to me, sound better than the original album.

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, the I like those more than HP. I'm not being facetious, by the way.

Karol

Could you rewrite this please? I think you made a typo and I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Did you mean "Well, then"?

11 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Could you rewrite this please? I think you made a typo and I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Did you mean "Well, then"?

"the" was not supposed to be there.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Do you guys like the beginning of the LLL version of Lupin's Transformation with the "Past theme" overlay?

I do actually! A sign of the thought that has gone in to this though is that MM included a version without the overlay too. We can have our cake and eat it! :)

45 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Do you guys like the beginning of the LLL version of Lupin's Transformation with the "Past theme" overlay?

On 12/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, Docteur Qui said:

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the overlay of "Window to the Past" right on top of the lovely piano/strings melody, 00:23 in "Lupin's Transformation", it doesn't really gel for me. Luckily we have the original version as well!

On an entirely unrelated note, I finally got mine and went straight for Azkaban, saving the rest for Christmas (if I can hold out that long). So far, what I've heard is amazing. It's just so full and grand. I've never quite heard anything like it. It's almost actual magic.

Obviously I haven't heard the track yet but I just checked the movie and that's one of my favourite renditions of WTTP! Very happy it's original music and not tracked from somewhere else. In the film it's a little awkwardly inserted over the original cue though, maybe that's what people are referring to?

Is this the overlay in question?

7m2 My Dad Conjured the Patronus
7m2A String Overlay

Williams didn't include this on the OST for whatever reason but it's a perfect callback to 6m4 Sirius and Harry in the movie (fitting, given Harry is referring to said conversation in this scene).

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Is this the overlay in question?

7m2 My Dad Conjured the Patronus
7m2A String Overlay

No, 7M2A String Overlay was meant to go over the pizzicato string passage at the end.  You can hear a mockup of it in the bonus track section of Data's edit.  I have no idea if it was recorded or not

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

JW's idiotic album arranging

Aren't you guys taking this anti-OST propaganda a bit too far? You're just bashing the man himself for his intended album presentation.

1 minute ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Aren't you guys taking this anti-OST propaganda a bit too far? You're just bashing the man himself for his intended album presentation.

I didn't wanna say anything but...

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, 7M2A String Overlay was meant to go over the pizzicato string passage at the end.  You can hear a mockup of it in the bonus track section of Data's edit.  I have no idea if it was recorded or not

Oh ok. I've never heard Data's edit so didn't realise Williams intended an overlay for the pizzicato passage.

Weren't the pizzicato strings replaced wholesale by the Grievous-esque percussion material anyway, in the final film? Wouldn't surprise me if the pizzicato idea was scrapped before Williams even recorded 7M2A String Overlay.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm serious, LLL have to send us replacement CDs, for CD 6 & 7.

That's a huge mistake.

The "Window to the Past" overlay or something different? I'm not exactly great at comprehension today so you'll have to remind me.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Oh ok. I've never heard Data's edit so didn't realise Williams intended an overlay for the pizzicato passage.

Weren't the pizzicato strings replaced wholesale by the Grievous-esque percussion material anyway, in the final film? Wouldn't surprise me if the pizzicato idea was scrapped before Williams even recorded 7M2A String Overlay.

Exactly, the String Overlay must have been the first attempt to change the musical tone of the scene and then they decided to beef it up even more with the cool Grevous-esque material the final film uses.  But I suppose he liked the original pizzicato strings more since he used that on the OST... or maybe that was just because he wanted to segue it into Chasing Scabbers

3 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

The "Window to the Past" overlay or something different? I'm not exactly great at comprehension today so you'll have to remind me.

I talk about the frequencies cutoff.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Exactly, the String Overlay must have been the first attempt to change the musical tone of the scene and then they decided to beef it up even more with the cool Grevous-esque material the final film uses.  But I suppose he liked the original pizzicato strings more since he used that on the OST... or maybe that was just because he wanted to segue it into Chasing Scabbers 

This makes complete sense. I know the score is filled with unconventional scoring decisions (that work brilliantly!) but pizzicato strings underscoring an intense werewolf chase through a forest does stick out as a little... "bold." 😎

Even choosing a string overlay to beef it up seems a restrained addition, so he must have really liked his original idea (he saw fit to include it on the OST after all).

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This makes complete sense. I know the score is filled with unconventional scoring decisions (that work brilliantly!) but pizzicato strings underscoring an intense werewolf chase through a forest does stick out as a little... "bold." 😎

Even choosing a string overlay to beef it up seems a restrained addition, so he must have really liked his original idea (he saw fit to include it on the OST after all).

Haven't gotten to that track, is the Grievous-esque percussion there?

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I ask for replacement CDs.

Have you reached out to LLL?

5 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Haven't gotten to that track, is the Grievous-esque percussion there?

How many times do I have to post that all the Williams score heard in the film is on the CD?

50 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I ask for replacement CDs.

They'd just send you new CDs with the same data. They're pressed from the same digital files...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm surprised that overlay has caused so much discussion - I never noticed anything weird about it.

What exactly do people think if off about it?

I just don't think it musically sounds very good - harmonically and rhythmically the original piece moves very differently to the overlay and it doesn't blend well to my ears. It may have worked better to remove the original piece and just have the Past overlay by itself. I hadn't realised that the overlay was written specifically for that part, I had assumed that it was tracked in from elsewhere, so it's just a matter of not liking this particular decision on Williams' part. It's just a personal thing for me, I don't have a problem at all with its inclusion on the set (quite the contrary, it's fascinating to hear it)

54 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Could the frequency cut-off be for a particular reason, such as unwanted noise? 

Precisely.

I am baffled that people assume that frequency cut off automatically means lossy. Not true at all. Sometimes it can mean that, but it does not always mean that. You can’t hear it at all. The end. The sound quality is utterly stunning.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm surprised that overlay has caused so much discussion - I never noticed anything weird about it.

What exactly do people think if off about it?

Just that it's kind of out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's a tad strange. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yeah, basically  he added dissonant strings over top.