Jurassic Park, The Shining, Brokeback Mountain Enter National Film Registry

John

'Jurassic Park,' 'The Shining,' 'Brokeback Mountain', and 'Rebecca' Enter the National Film Registry, Deeming them Culturally, Historically or Aesthetically Significant.

Films directed by Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg, Orson Welles, John Ford, Blake Edwards, Sam Fuller, D.A. Pennebaker, George Cukor, James L. Brooks and Ang Lee are among the latest batch of motion pictures chosen for the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress, it was announced Wednesday.

The 30th annual selection of 25 films deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically" significant to the nation's film heritage helps ensure that those on the list will be preserved for all time. 

The inductees include Hitchcock's first American feature, Rebecca (1949); the noir classics Leave Her to Heaven (1945) and Welles' The Lady From Shanghai (1947); Spielberg's groundbreaking dinosaur tale Jurassic Park (1993); Edwards' bitter commentary about alcoholism, Days of Wine and Roses (1962); Kubrick's chilling The Shining (1980); Buster Keaton's ingenious The Navigator (1924); Kasi Lemmons' eerie family drama, Eve's Bayou (1997); Smoke Signals (1998), the first feature to be written, directed and co-produced by Native Americans; and Lee's love story Brokeback Mountain (2005), which is now the most recent film on the Registry. 

7 hours ago, Richard said:

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN? Really?

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE certainly. THE ICE STORM probably (HULK definitely not!), but BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN?

Personally, I'd take LUST, CAUTION over any Ang Lee film.

Thank you. It comes across as most insincere and it is a misrepresentation of being gay and falling in love. It just feels like sanitized filmmaking best kept at arms length. 

Its about damn time on Rebecca. A far better film than all these new films even JP.

• 4 weeks later...

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is a great film. A contemporary classic and cultural cornerstone that deserves this status. But yes, there are other Lee films I prefer more personally, like THE ICE STORM.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, yeah! I do mean S+S! Sorry. It's still a nice film, though.

Yeah, though it suffered the misfortune of coming out very soon after the BBC's masterful Pride and Prejudice adaptation.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

It's still a nice film, though. I like THE ICE *****.

So do I! But nobody had mentioned Ride with the Devil and I didn't want it to feel left out...

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Yeah, though it suffered the misfortune of coming out very soon after the BBC's masterful Pride and Prejudice adaptation.

The reaction to Colin Firth getting his kit off, was, in the UK, at least, phenomenal.