Alan Silvestri's WELCOME TO MARWEN (2018)

Jay

INTRADA Announces:

WELCOME TO MARWEN
Music by ALAN SILVESTRI
INTRADA INT 7151

Intrada and Universal Pictures present the soundtrack release to one of this season's most anticipated films—Welcome to Marwen, from Academy Award-winning director Robert Zemeckis (Flight, Castaway, Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future ) and starring Steve Carell. When a devastating attack shatters Mark Hogancamp (Carell) and wipes away all his memories, no one expected recovery. Putting together pieces from his old and new life, Hogancamp meticulously creates a wondrous town where he can heal and be heroic. As he builds an astonishing art installation—a testament to the most powerful women he knows—through his fantasy world, he draws strength to triumph in the real one. 

For scoring duties, Zemeckis relied on his 30+ year relationship with composer Alan Silvestri, who has had a busy year, previously scoring the summer blockbusters Ready Player One and Avengers: Infinity War. As always, Silvestri provided Zemeckis with the perfect score, embodying the music with the sense of adventure, wonder, and tenderness of his beloved score for Back to the Future. The colors of solo clarinet, flute and piano permeate throughout in the score's more sensitive moments, while the women of Marwen are scored with a military and heroic bent, underscoring their strength at protecting Hogancamp as part of his fantastical art installation, the town of Marwen. The result is a warm symphonic fantasy—classic Alan Silvestri!

Intrada will release Alan Silvestri's score to Welcome to Marwen on CD and Universal's Back Lot Music will release the score digitally on December 21. 

INTRADA INT 7151
Barcode: 720258715128
Retail Price: $17.99
SHIPPING 12/21/2018
For track listing and sound samples, please visit the http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11758/.f

For more information about the film, please visit the Welcome to Marwen site https://www.welcometomarwen.com

Alan Silvestri
Label: Intrada INT 7151
Film Date: 2018
Album Date: 2018
Time: 57: 32
Tracks: 21

(Pre-Order Due 12/21/2018)

Dynamic, riveting Alan Silvestri score for new Robert Zemeckis film! Universal Pictures presents, Steve Carell stars, Diane Kruger, Leslie Mann co-star, Alan Silvestri scores, Robert Zemeckis directs and scripts with Caroline Thompson. Zemeckis is acclaimed director of smash hits Back To The Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Forrest Gump, all featuring music by Silvestri. Here Zemeckis offers compelling tale of Mark Hogancamp attempting to regain memories after devastating attack shatters his life. Marwen is meticulous town he creates in his fantasy world in an attempt to rebuild what he has lost in the real world.

Alan Silvestri melds two distinct styles of music, both richly symphonic: One is a gentle, quasi-modal theme initially scored in transparent manner for harp, woodwinds and strings with subtle assist from French horn. Thereafter it gets attention from solo clarinet, solo flute, solo oboe. Piano and harp bring additional color. Find in it one of the composer’s most haunting and memorable themes with particularly moving harmonic vocabulary. In fact, tender theme is itself in two contrasting parts. The other style Silvestri gives prominence to: a military action vernacular replete with powerhouse, chopping brass and percussion emphasizing multiple snare drums, tympani, crash cymbals. Ideas here are imposing, exciting. One striking feature in this portion is reliance on major key harmonies, allowing action material a thrilling yet highly accessible feel even as the orchestra hurls forward with considerable rhythmic strength. Minor harmonies have their say but it’s the crisp, punchy major chords in brass that stand out. As gentle theme plays in minor, then major, action material plays in major with touches of minor. Cool idea!

Difficult to pinpoint just one highlight as score is virtually wall-to-wall highlights. Like themes? Here you go. Like bold action? Here you go. That said, worthy of spotlighting is back-to-back 8-minute pair of action sequences, “Hogie vs Meyer”. Ditto opening “Welcome To Marwen” that presents first the minor key melody then lurches forward with powerful fortissimo action material. Still another big asset: Closing “End Credits” is masterful meld of primary thematic material fashioned into terrific 7-minute suite. Perhaps worthy of a special spotlight: “Hate Crime”. Here, Silvestri utilizes haunting material then cadences on two solitary chords, suggested throughout but now fully revealed. Yep, one is minor, one is major. Stroke of harmonic genius! CD produced by composer with long-time associate David Bifano, presented by Intrada and Universal’s Back Lot Music, mixed by Dennis Sands, mastered by Patricia Sullivan, booklet layout and design by Kay Marshall. Belinda Broughton appears as concertmaster, orchestrations by Mark Graham. Alan Silvestri composes, conducts. Sizzling score from a master composer!

Play all clips 

01. Welcome to Marwen (2:00)
02. You Are Saved (3:42)
03. Finally Got It Right (2:48)
04. New Girl In Town (1:33)
05. Deja Spills Some Milk (2:29)
06. Magic (2:32)
07. You Got This (1:16)
08. Rise and Shine (1:58)
09. Saved (2:26)
10. Never Love You The Way I Do (1:33)
11. One Big Misunderstanding (1:45)
12. Goodnight Girls (2:18)
13. Hate Crime (2:03)
14. Beautiful Moon (3:21)
15. Crippled By Fear (4:24)
16. Hogie vs Meyer Part 1 (4:12)
17. Hogie vs Meyer Part 2 (3:53)
18. Wake Up Sweetheart (1:20)
19. They Can’t Hurt Me (1:11)
20. Marwencol (4:01)
21. Welcome to Marwen End Credits (7:19)

media.nl?id=16256&c=ACCT67745&h=469783ac

media.nl?id=16257&c=ACCT67745&h=6df6bb4d

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11758/.f

I sounds better than Ready Player One and Infinity War combined! And I like those two. Since the album won't be actually out until next Friday anyway I'll order it after Christmas.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I sounds better than Ready Player One and Infinity War combined! And I like those two. Since the album won't be actually out until next Friday anyway I'll order it after Christmas.

Karol

5 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Hot diggety, I like these samples more than anything I heard in RPO or Avengers.

kbraxdrdo0oz.png

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I've heard it. Very disappointing, IMO. A far cry from READY PLAYER ONE, and even that was uneven.

Not seen the film, however. It probably premieres here in late February -- if it does indeed premiere at all. The poor reviews may have discouraged the distributor.

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Not yet.  Should I put it high on my queue?  

I dunno.  I haven't heard it yet either.