John Williams - La-La Land Records: 2019

JohnnyD

La-La Land Records was right on the money when, in their birthday wish to the Maestro, they teased on working with him on upcoming projects and that 2018 would be "a year for the books." With Land of the Giants, the 20th anniversary of Saving Private Ryan, the 25th anniversary of Schindler's List, and the Harry Potter 7 CD set, 2018 certainly was just that. As we approach 2019, what upcoming expanded, remastered and definitive releases of the Maestro's work do you think will happen?

I predict a remastered, expanded and definitive release of the Maestro's score to Superman in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the film. I also predict that the Maestro's score for Amistad will get the remastered, expanded and definitive treatment.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the releases that happened this year, as well as all of the Maestro's music, and I look forward to what the Maestro will bring in 2019. Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year.

I'd like to see the Oliver Stone trilogy: Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, and Nixon. A 6-CD boxset. 

That's unlikely to happen, since all three movies were made by different studios, but I guess one can always hope. JFK is slated to happen soon anyway, so why not make a three movies deal out of it?

Can't wait for JFK! 

I don't think a lot of music is missing from the OST, but I cannot wait to get a hold of some very good incidental cues.... Plus, "Prologue" and "The Conspirators" maybe remastered? 

What about The John Williams/Oliver Stone Trilogy ? All 3 scores in need of an expansion and, presumably, out of print.

Could explain why JFK has taken so long too (or, more likely, it's just held up with approvals -- didn't Costner have to approve his image in the Dances with Wolves expansion?)

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Minority Report

They could do a Tom Cruise John Williams boxset. :D

Far and Away, Minority Report, War of the Worlds... 

Ah, the possibilities (albeit not very likely) are endless!

Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Amistad, The Patriot....Mike Matessino said he'd like to redo Hook. I'd buy his version (even though it's not my type of JW score). Oliver Stone's trilogy would be great. Hope someone finds everything from Monsignor. And Far and Away. The disaster trilogy set would be fantastic. Plenty of stuff.

I hope Varese releases The River too. And The Eiger Sanction.

And let's not forget it's Home Alone's 29th anniversary next year. ;)

Karol

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

And let's not forget it's Home Alone's 29th anniversary next year. 

;)

Don't give them ideas! :lol2:

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Mike Matessino said he'd like to redo Hook

I forgot what was the issue with the previous expansion of Hook again? 

It was incomplete, it had pitch issues, it joined together unrelated cues...? 

Hook is a score that hasn't been high on my list of favourites so far. Dunno why, maybe it's because I disliked the movie, I just never got into it.

24 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

It was incomplete, it had pitch issues, it joined together unrelated cues...?

Pretty sure it used movie stems for parts of the climax. Dip in sound quality and missing music as a result.

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It’s not great, but the filmstem stuff MAY be the best we’ll get.  Sometimes things are lost!

Well, the sessions leaked not after and this stuff was on those... so who knows?

Karol

41 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It’s not great, but the filmstem stuff MAY be the best we’ll get.  Sometimes things are lost!

So much material that was supposed to be lost was found later. I can't imagine that a reel from a prestigous John Williams score from the early 90s found its way to the trash bin. It is somewhere.

That lost claim is becoming more ridiculous by the month. First the Titanic DAT tapes were supposed to have been destroyed on Horner's request, then that HP1 trailer music was lost, blah blah blah... Hook isn't lost, you just need competent people to look for it.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, the sessions leaked not after and this stuff was on those... so who knows?

Karol

I don’t listen to or follow leaks, but I’m genuinely surprised that Hook’s sessions leaked.  I hadn’t heard a peep about it.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don’t listen to or follow leaks, but I’m genuinely surprised that Hook’s sessions leaked.  I hadn’t heard a peep about it.

It was actually around the same time this release came out. But I don't think they ever appeared in quality higher than 320kbps mp3's. But they were not entirely complete, from what I can remember. There was some insert missing.

I don't really follow this myself too closely. There's something unsatisfying about listening to leaked sessions. But a lot of people are into that.

Anyway, the odd thing about the Hook expansion album is that they used the film stems for material already available in the old album...That's bit pointless?

Karol

32 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It was actually around the same time this release came out.

I think the leak was even slightly before that, actually. Which would indicate that someone was sitting on the original sources while all LLL could get were the film stems.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

First the Titanic DAT tapes were supposed to have been destroyed on Horner's request

Ok, stop right there. Anyone who believed that, is a fucking idiot.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Hook isn't lost, you just need competent people to look for it.

You have no idea if that's true or not, but still seem comfortable calling others in a job you've never had "incompetant."

Believe me, certain people on certain websites kept telling us Horner had asked someone to destroy Titanic DATs.

I believe Hook isn't lost because Matessino just found things that were supposedly lost and I wouldn't call Didier Deutsche a very competent person. But don't take my word for it, read the excellent interview Jay did with him. He still seemed surprised he actually got to do Hook and came across as someone who didn't really know what he was doing.

AFAIR, the HOOK bootleg source wasn't used because it wasn't an 'official' source from Sony's vaults and they wouldn't sanction it. The only thing(s) still missing are two inserts in 'The Ultimate War'.

The Hook sessions has been out for many years prior to the LLL release. But it sounds atrocious, just like Last Crusade bootleg.

Anyway, LLL has kept the book opened for 3 years straight (2016 with JP, 2017 with ET and CE3K and this year, the one officialy regarded as one for the books). I'm sure they'll keep it opened.

Just now, phbart said:

The Hook sessions has been out for many years prior to the LLL release. But it sounds atrocious, just like Last Crusade bootleg.

They sound great. You just got the wrong one.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

LOL, those are hardly the only unreleased things from Hook.  There's still stuff you can hear IN THE FILM that hasn't been on any boot, leak, or the expanded CD

I mean, of importance. The boot certainly has notable music deleted from the movie (most obviously the end of Hook and when Hook Challenges Peter)

8 minutes ago, Trent B said:

Hopefully LLL revisits Hook and is able to have MM at the helm for it.

What a silly thing to hope for. There is no other option. If we get a new Hook set, then it will be Die Hard-style.

Back when LLL's Hook came out, I remember we went through the exact same thing as we did just now with the HP set.

Ordering the minute (hell, the second!) it went online, wondering whether it'll sell out within hours, days, or weeks, getting furious and impatient over the postal service being unacceptably slow and generally ineffective, agonising over what might be missing or what might have been screwed up on the album, almost insanely exhilarated and happy when it finally arrived.... 

Talk about deja vu! 😂 

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Back when LLL's Hook came out, I remember we went through the exact same thing as we did just now with the HP set.

Ordering the minute (hell, the second!) it went online, wondering whether it'll sell out within hours, days, or weeks, getting furious and impatient over the postal service being unacceptably slow and generally ineffective, agonising over what might be missing or what might have been screwed up on the album, almost insanely exhilarated and happy when it finally arrived.... 

Talk about deja vu! 😂 

yeah but nobody cares about Hook except hard core JWfans

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but nobody cares about Hook except hard core JWfans

No.

For a long time I remember Hook was a top 10 score for many JW fans! 

Along with, ESB, ToD, and LC.

16 hours ago, publicist said:

AFAIR, the HOOK bootleg source wasn't used because it wasn't an 'official' source from Sony's vaults and they wouldn't sanction it. The only thing(s) still missing are two inserts in 'The Ultimate War'.

No, the Piano solo from the theatre prologue is incomplete, too! 😞