The Academy has announced the shortlist of 15 scores for best score

Lewya

Prediction

“Black Panther” – Ludwig Goransson

“BlacKkKlansman” – Terence Blanchard

“First Man” – Justin Hurwitz

“If Beale Street Could Talk” – Nicholas Britell

“Mary Poppins Returns” – Marc Shaiman

Mine would be almost the same as yours, but I think Desplat will make the cut. Not sure who I would bump out in favor of Desplat though.

I think If Beale Street Could Talk will win the Oscar.

I reckon First Man and Black Panther will definitely make the cut.

The former is a great 'American' story that critics will fall over themselves wanting to be seen praising, and the latter is so African influenced that critics will go similarly nuts over it. Probably BlacKkKlansman too, as it's historically important, or something.

(yes, I'm cynical enough to assume that the music nominations will likely have nothing to do with the actual music)

Although I do rather like Panther.

I'm not sure Poppins will make it as from what I read the film is 'meh'.

Sure fire favourites:

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

Black Panther by Ludwig Goransson

Dark horses:

Marry Poppins Returns by Marc Shaiman

Isle of Dogs by Alexandre Desplat

8 hours ago, Lewya said:

The scores listed in alphabetical order by film title are:

“Annihilation” – Geoff Barrow & Ben Salisbury > Nah

“Avengers: Infinity War” – Alan Silvestri > Nah

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” – Carter Burwell > OK

“Black Panther” – Ludwig Goransson > OK

“BlacKkKlansman” – Terence Blanchard > Why not

“Crazy Rich Asians” – Brian Tyler > OK...hmmm...

“The Death of Stalin” – Christopher Willis > Yes

“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” – James Newton Howard > OK...hmmm...

“First Man” – Justin Hurwitz > Yes

“If Beale Street Could Talk” – Nicholas Britell > Yes

“Isle of Dogs” – Alexandre Desplat > OK

“Mary Poppins Returns” – Marc Shaiman > OK

“A Quiet Place” – Marco Beltrami > Nah

“Ready Player One” – Alan Silvestri > OK

“Vice” – Nicholas Britell > Yes

2 hours ago, Lewya said:

It is the shortlist, these 15 scores will be narrowed down to 5 nominations.

Same principal. Can a score be eligible for the short-list if it hasn't even been released/had an FYC? Solo missed the cutoff over a week ago, which rules out scores from mid-late December. IX doesn't release until the 20th and (if the last two scores are any indication) neither will the soundtrack. 

The Star Wars movies have always made these tech shortlists way ahead of release. (TFA was on this early December VFX list.) Whoever decides these things may not have been privy to the complete films/scores, probably just qualifying reels or something, or they just give them benefit of the doubt. But the industry obviously gets stuff before we do.

Solo of course would have been considered if Disney bothered to submit it.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I hope no MCU score gets nominated but after the OscarsSoWhite stuff of the last few years I think Black Panther will get a nomination. 

It's a good score. Far better than most things this year.

Karol

What an incredibly boring list. Not a single one will make it into my own top 10, although READY PLAYER ONE is close. MARY POPPINS is also ok-ish, and A QUIET PLACE was great in the movie itself; less so on album.

Black Panther for the win. A properly interesting score for a great film. First Man for runner up. The rest are .....empty space.

Der list, banking money on this list:

“Black Panther” – Ludwig Goransson + winner

“First Man” – Justin Hurwitz

“If Beale Street Could Talk” – Nicholas Britell

“Mary Poppins Returns” – Marc Shaiman

“A Quiet Place” – Marco Beltrami

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

YES!  Finally they will right the wrongs of racial inequality by nominating this guy for his superhero score!

Ludwig_G%C3%B6ransson.jpg

Nice tie.  

1 hour ago, Thor said:

BLACK PANTHER is a huge mystery to me. Disliked both film and score. Must be something about the whole 'black cast' aspect.

Score was okay.  Film was what it was, a Marvel movie.  Bar is low.

But, the cultural importance of the movie is what's in its corner, yes.

It's probably my favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe score, and granted that's a low bar, but it's a pretty good listen.

I honestly haven't heard enough 2018 scores to make a call on Oscar odds.  These days, I usually just pick up expansions or new stuff from guys I know I like.

I still can't get over Solo not being able to be nominated for best score due to a deadline. Makes this year's Oscars totally irrelevant to me for it to not even be considered. It's one of the best new scores in years and... no, I can't.

Not surprised Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom didn't get nominated for best score, despite it being my second favorite new score of the year. A vast improvement over the previous score, and moves at a real nice clip on album form, but I guess the epic choir statements weren't enough for a nom this year. ;)

I didn’t think Solo was Oscar worthy to begin with.

Nice to see Silvestri getting some love.

Blavk Panther is deserving. They could have easily went the generic DCU route with it to make it a modern urban sound that relied on too many cliches. 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Disney probably didn’t bother submitting Solo due to the other rules (no multiple composers, no overreliance on other material, etc).  I’m sure they were aware of the deadline.

Good point. Powell had a lot of...help.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Disney probably didn’t bother submitting Solo due to the other rules (no multiple composers, no overreliance on other material, etc).  I’m sure they were aware of the deadline.

I guess the question is if they submitted it late or not at all. I think the former was what was reported but why bother? 

I get the feeling Disney is just trying to wash their hands of this whole Solo fiasco. After all the issues surrounding the film and its development, it seems fitting that they wouldn't bother submitting the score to the Academy.

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

Blavk Panther is deserving. They could have easily went the generic DCU route with it to make it a modern urban sound that relied on too many cliches. 

I definitely agree; Black Panther really made me notice in the film and convinced me to look up the soundtrack immediately afterwards.

Some good variety and creative use of themes.

If I had to choose a winner, it'd be that one.

This holds true even against Solo.

I like listening to Solo more, but it's not a score that's breaking any huge creative ground, is it?

Oh dear, that's controversy right there...

SOLO "should have been a contender", to quote ol' Marlon Brando. The film is also one of the very best of the year. A shame Disney and silly fans felt differently.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

The film is also one of the very best of the year. A shame Disney and silly fans felt differently.

Indeed the release date and the marketing messed up its returns.

I honestly thought Disney was sabotaging it on purpose just as an experiment to establish their "lowest limit" of returns.

That might've been useful in economical predictions, after all.

The quality is... reasonable at the very least.

It gets unfairly lambasted now for being far worse than it actually is.

On the other hand, my colleagues didn't much care for it either.

From my side, the main things I liked were the score and FINALLY seeing something of Chewbacca as a character.

About bloody time!

Solo the movie was one of the better Star Wars films to come along. Certainly a much better offering than the last Star Wars film that preceded it. 

The score was good but nothing that would make me think it was Oscar worthy.

13 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I hope no MCU score gets nominated but after the OscarsSoWhite stuff of the last few years I think Black Panther will get a nomination. 

I think it's BlackKlansman that will clean up a lot of awards because of this (Best director, best actor and maybe score) .And it has an anti Trump message to boot

Unless they want a woman director to win because Natalie Portman complained about it last year

Or maybe they want a woman to win Best Actor too

OscarsSoWhite vs #meetoo competing for awards this year

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

The Star Wars movies have always made these tech shortlists way ahead of release. (TFA was on this early December VFX list.) Whoever decides these things may not have been privy to the complete films/scores, probably just qualifying reels or something, or they just give them benefit of the doubt. But the industry obviously gets stuff before we do.

Solo of course would have been considered if Disney bothered to submit it.

Williams will be on the shortlist even if they haven't heard the score. Are they going to ignore a Williams Star Wars score? Nomination is different. Shortlist is low stakes. He will be on it.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

BLACK PANTHER is a huge mystery to me. Disliked both film and score. Must be something about the whole 'black cast' aspect.

I did not notice any themes in the movie at all. Did not make an impact at all.

BlackkKlansman score has an impact in the movie. The main theme has swagger and is memorable.

Ditto The Death Of Stalin. The theme stands out in the movie. And the russian flavor makes the music noticeable.

Fantastic Beasts too. JNH was robbed of a nomination for his first score. I hope he gets in to make up for that.

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I did not notice any themes in the movie at all. Did not make an impact at all.

Really? There were several that were quite prominently used.

I often don't catch the themes in movies these days, but with Black Panther I remembered several by the time I walked out the theatre...

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thankfully no Zimmer on the list!

He doesn't really have that many projects this year that would qualify. WIDOWS was rather disappointing, and that's about it as far as feature fiction films are concerned.

16 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I often don't catch the themes in movies these days, 

Sadly, motivic scoring is transitioning into a lost art form in Hollywood blockbusters. Symphonic scoring is slowly on it's way out as well in blockbusters.