The Academy has announced the shortlist of 15 scores for best score

Lewya

11 hours ago, John said:

As of now, I think it’s basically a toss-up between Hurwitz’s First Man and Goransson‘s Black Panther for the Oscar. After tonight, Hurwitz has a good chance of pulling a Williams and winning two statues in three years. 

Neither will win the Oscar.  Such is my prediction.

Well, Black Panther has the better chance, anyway.

It was certainly the Oscar winner, yes. I liked The Post quite a bit as it was probably my favorite score of the year outside of The Last Jedi. But The Shape of Water is a great winner.

I do not see why Black Panther of First Man cannot take the Oscar this year. There are other scores I liked, some even better than the ones listed, but none as worthy as these two. 

http://collider.com/justin-hurwitz-first-man-interview/#damien-chazelle

Extraordinarily detailed interview with Hurwitz. One of the most comprehensive composer interviews in some time. 

My only concern is - Hurwitz describes such a complicated process of creating the music - with so many changes like that rotating cabinet and fire sounds and what not - just makes me think - just how processed is the final sound? Can it even be played by an orchestra? Like the cue - The Landing - could an orchestra concert play that cue and have it sound just like the movie?

The score to First Man dos not use the standard orchestra. In fact, while not only making use of unconventional instruments (such as the theremin) it doesn't sound like the orchestra is extremely large and might consists of fewer pieces than normal. Most of the cues are essentially with a solo theremin or harp/celeste, for example, and others are some sort of mechanical whirring. But the cues which stand out as the best from the score (see the many edited playlists in the First Man score thread) certainly are good. 

I wouldn't expect an standard orchestra to be able to perform any of the score, even The Landing, in concert unless it were arranged differently, which would entail that no, it could not be performed the way it is in the film and on the album.

That is my thought.