SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

No random capitalization

He quoted Superman

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

For the completely uninitiated, what's this set going to offer on top of whatever came in the 'Blue Box'?

Is it just the usual business of going back to the sources and improving sound quality/sequencing?

On 2/12/2019 at 9:36 AM, Jay said:

3) The LLL Edition of Superman II/III featured new source music from Superman 1 that could have only come from the unearthing of some sort of new element they didn't have when they made the FSM Blue Box in 2008

There is potentially an alternate to Fortress of Solitude.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:57 AM, rough cut said:

Can we pleeeeeeease get back to talking about the music, comparing editions, speculating about the box art... anything else! 

Sure.

This FSM member made this post on this thread back in mid-January:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=43&threadID=118900&archive=0

Here’s my question, MV:

On the January 1st 2019 post of this thread…

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=84&threadID=67395&archive=0

you said this:

“After so many release date debacles in 2018 and shipping delays we have decided not to announce order dates until we know things are in stock/almost in stock and will be ready to ship within a respectable time frame.”

Earlier back in December, you’ve dropped this teaser-trailer for your Superman 3-CD set:

Finally, later, in another January 1st 2019 post of the said thread, you said this:

“Superman will be late feb... early March.”

Given these facts, may I assume the following:

• That this title is printed and ready to ship?

• The CD release is withheld because an event that ties-in with the film is to take place and the CD will be released when the announcement of this event is made either in “late Feb…early March”?

I’ve thought it over.  The FSM poster is suggesting that the 3-CD set is already printed and in stock, now, because of the two things that MV said on January 1st.  He said that he’ll be announcing dates on titles that he’s sure that are in stock and ready to ship, after he gave an estimated release-time of the 3-CD for “late Feb…early March.”  That is pretty bold to publicly give a release time for nearly 2 months where somethings can go wrong during the days toward that release time-- printing/CD replicating/waiting for studio approval of artwork, etc.  I think that MV would not have gave that release-date estimate for such a highly anticipated title unless all that stuff that would delay a CD release had past.

If that is true, I’m thinking that he is holding-off the release of the album because he’s under orders from Warner Bros to do so.  Perhaps, Warner Bros may make an announcement sometime in “late feb, early March” that would have something to do with “Superman-The Movie.”  But what?  Not a theatrical re-release because that was done in November.  Not a home video release because that was done in November, also.

6 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

I’ve thought it over.  The FSM poster is suggesting that the 3-CD set is already printed and in stock, now, because of the two things that MV said on January 1st.  

You've got to love those New Year's Day hangovers😁

Matessino posted a few weeks ago on Intrada Soundtrack Facebook page that the the set was already approved and waiting for its turn at the plant. (I'll share the exact post below..) 

MatessinoIt's approved. We're waiting to hear about the manufacturing schedule, a part of the process that has changed dramatically over the last year or so.

6 hours ago, Amer said:

Matessino posted a few weeks ago on Intrada Soundtrack Facebook page that the the set was already approved and waiting for its turn at the plant. (I'll share the exact post below..) 

MatessinoIt's approved. We're waiting to hear about the manufacturing schedule, a part of the process that has changed dramatically over the last year or so.

@Amer, may I ask you to give us a screenshot of that post with a time of when the post was made?

He didn't say a process changed.

He said the manufacturing part of the process has changed.  Meaning, there are fewer places left that exist that press physical CDs, and the ones remaining take longer and make more mistakes than ever before.  This is why titles have been delayed and delayed, and even delayed shipping after being announced a lot recently.  The remaining pressing plants all suck.

The CD format is on its last legs.

20 minutes ago, dougie said:

USB sticks for future releases?

I still have (somewhere) my green apple usb from the 2009 Beatles remaster collection.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to release the new Superman in a red cape usb stick.

Any idea how a Schindler's List usb stick would look like?

1 hour ago, phbart said:

I still have (somewhere) my green apple usb from the 2009 Beatles remaster collection.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to release the new Superman in a red cape usb stick.

Any idea how a Schindler's List usb stick would look like?

?!?!

Original 1st generation 24 track element!  Remixed!

Similar to what happened with Close Encounters, I believe.

Oh, there's a second piece of splash art, too.  Doesn't seem to be available any bigger than this?

superman-facebook-environmental-web.jpg

It does

On 2/15/2019 at 3:01 PM, Jay said:

Disc Two also contains a bounty of alternate/additional cues (including an astonishing early version of “The Fortress of Solitude” that remained vaulted and unplayed for four decades)

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

(including an astonishing early version of “The Fortress of Solitude” that remained vaulted and unplayed for four decades)

Just noticed the $35 price.  Pretty good for a 3-disc set!  Ordered it already.

Interesting choice for the film versions of the intro/main titles and Can You Read My Mind to be in the alternates.  I've never been able to keep track of all the alternates on Superman. Obviously Can You Read My Mind is the vocal version, since the main program is instrumental.  Wonder what the big difference is between the two main titles, and why the film version was shunted to the bottom of the playlist.

I saw the movie once, maybe twice if you count my childhood.  So my experience with the titles has been confined solely to listening to the various album presentations.  I don't read liner notes typically.  I had no idea!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The liner notes for Superman in the FSM blue box are among the best liner notes ever written

I've never been able to bring myself to care about liner notes, even on all-time favorite scores like Star Wars or ET.  Superman, or at least the second half of Superman, I care about quite a bit less. 

My ideal liner notes would be a brief history of the making of the film generally, an equally brief history of the scoring process (only pointing out any interesting historical tidbits), and then a list of themes and what they represent, along with a few timestamp examples.

A "44 page booklet with in-depth liner notes" might be a selling point for a lot of you, but for me, it's pretty much a guarantee that I won't do more than quickly flip through it.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My ideal liner notes would be a brief history of the making of the film generally, an equally brief history of the scoring process (only pointing out any interesting historical tidbits), and then a list of themes and what they represent, along with a few timestamp examples.

That's literally what 90% of liner notes from these specialty labels are.

I've never once seen liner notes that I like from the specialty labels.  What I'd like, as described above, wouldn't take more than 4 pages of a little booklet.  Key words in my above description being "brief."

They also all mostly talk about musical stuff, orchestra stuff, performance stuff, etc that I don't care about.  Longer track-by-track discussion of the score.  Summary of the movie's plot.  I'd want that gone.  I also rarely see timestamps when people are discussing themes.

Again, it's fine it's there - it's just not for me.