SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

My one quibble about this set is that they have plonked the words "Superman The Movie" all over the cover, thus ruining Bob Peak's beautiful art work.

Didn't Bob also draw the letters?

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't Bob also draw the letters?

I'm not sure.

Thanks @Faleel J.M.. These posters are beautiful. I wonder if they join-up, like his work for EXCALIBUR?

The second one always reminds me of Dali's The Christ Of St. John Of The Cross.

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

No, that's about it, thank you very much. I'll now add it to my 2-LP vinyl, my cassette, my CD, my Japanese CD, my Rhino 2-CD, and the Blue Box.

Some scores really are worth heptouple-dipping for :lol:. SUPERMAN is one of them.

I totally forgot I've got the LP!  I haven't owned anything that'll play vinyl in 30 years, but I do have it.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Taken straight from the tapes that recorded the LSO! 

Exactly. Can't ask for anything better than this. Now if employee 3 could hurry up and ship, that would be great.

2 hours ago, anonymous said:

I wouldn't say 35$ for one track or so is significant...

For at least 30 tracks (full score plus the new alternate), and possibly the other alternates - if like me you don't care for the re-created OST edit. The new Fortress of Solitude alternate is a potentially welcome goodie, but by no means the main reason for getting the set.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The new Fortress of Solitude alternate is a potentially welcome goodie, but by no means the main reason for getting the set.

Taken straight from the tapes that recorded the LSO! 

8 minutes ago, Amer said:

The sole main reason for getting the set is the solid remaster from the actual masters. Anything else is just the final icing on the cake and bonus. 

Indeed.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Taken straight from the tapes that recorded the LSO! 

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Taken straight from the tapes that recorded the LSO! 

Repeating ourselves, are we, Steef?

32 minutes ago, Amer said:

The...main reason for getting the set is the solid remaster from the actual masters.

Sorry to contradict, @Amer, but they are not the masters. They are the the original 1st gen. 24-track multi-tapes - the raw ingredients, as it were - which were then mixed down, to form a 2-track master. If you want to hear how the score sounded in the film (because despite what you may have heard, the score was mixed in 6-track magnetic), listen to the iso, on the Blu Ray. Phenomenal.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Was it? Why would 5th gen. copies, be used? Oh, well, it still sounds great. Imagine how a 1st gen. 5.1 mix would sound? I get hard just thinking about it.

Because that was all they had at the time.

The Rhino release was one source further from the iso score even

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

In what way, Jerry?

Granted, very few scores are mixed in discrete 5.1 (more a sort of 3.1, or even, a very wide 2.0), but when it works, and the instruments are placed for maximum effect, it can be thrilling.

E.T., all the Telarc/Kunzel ones I own, Star Trek Nemesis and a few others. I just think the 2 channel tracks delivered more punch, whereas the 5.1 mixes seemed rather front-heavy anyway, but the surround "atmospherics" were more of a distraction than an immersion. In a weird sort of way, it felt "thinner" than the 2 channel versions.

34 minutes ago, rough cut said:

If there was a hi-res download version of this released in the future, would you guys seriously buy it?

Possibly. But most likely not.

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Repeating ourselves, are we, Steef?

Sorry to contradict, @Amer, but they are not the masters. They are the the original 1st gen. 24-track multi-tapes - the raw ingredients, as it were - which were then mixed down, to form a 2-track master. If you want to hear how the score sounded in the film (because despite what you may have heard, the score was mixed in 6-track magnetic), listen to the iso, on the Blu Ray. Phenomenal.

No worries there @Ricard But I meant in a 'general' sense. These have to be condensed down eventually to either 2 track or a 3 track.mix downs. The great thing is this allows Mike to focus on bringing out certain instrumentation upfront.I noticed How he particularly modulated the choir in some of the CE3K cues (on that remaster) which sounded the cues to be more sinister ( False Alarm) And this time I noticed (from the online samples and podcast plays ) that some of the low register instrumentation surfacing up in a more prominent manner which makes the sound field more wholesome...

Thank you very much, Jay! I would've deleted all that pointless and useless drivel, though. 

Anyway, I am still awaiting shipment. It should be sometime tomorrow, if not sometime during the week at least..

17 hours ago, dougie said:

There's a good reason hi-fi enthusiasts prefer music in 2-channel. Unfortunately orchestral music in particular just doesn't lend itself well to multichannel formats.

In this absolute form the statement is not true. Not all hifi enthusiasts prefer 2 channel. There are lots of orchestral recordings that sound in 5.1 much better than stereo (IMO). This is the case for conservative surround (only ambiance) as well as more adventurous mixes. Just listen to SACDs from Bis, Telarc, Pentatone and other classical labels that care about recording quality. If you really think that they sound worse than the stereo versions, there is something wrong with your setup, I think. Of course you need good speakers with similar sound signature to achieve a cohesive sound field, and correct placement.

In film music I can recommend the Bernard Herrmann SACD from Dutton/Vocalion (Citizen Kane and others). A spectacular release.

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

In this absolute form the statement is not true. Not all hifi enthusiasts prefer 2 channel. There are lots of orchestral recordings that sound in 5.1 much better than stereo (IMO). This is the case for conservative surround (only ambiance) as well as more adventurous mixes. Just listen to SACDs from Bis, Telarc, Pentatone and other classical labels that care about recording quality. If you really think that they sound worse than the stereo versions, there is something wrong with your setup, I think. Of course you need good speakers with similar sound signature to achieve a cohesive sound field, and correct placement.

In film music I can recommend the Bernard Herrmann SACD from Dutton/Vocalion (Citizen Kane and others). A spectacular release.

No, my set up is fine. And I own a few Telarc multichannel SACDs and I still wasn't impressed when I heard them. It all just sounded wrong. But like I've said before, Chicago, DSOTM and Jeff Wayne's WOTW all sounded great in 5.1.

A spoiler alert about this new podcast:

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Hello everyone,

Here's part 2 of the podcast featuring Mike Matessino talking about the new SUPERMAN THE MOVIE release from La-La Land Records:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/25/mike-matessino-superman-part-2/

On 2/2/2019 at 10:49 PM, SyncMan said:

I still have hope that a L2P Superman-The Movie concert will happen. 

At the 44:01 mark of the podcast, there is some discussion of a Live-to-Projection concert for Superman.  On the podcast, Mike M said that it is “under discussion” and “those talks are continuing.”

So, the long and the short of this subject is that a L2P concert is being considered.

@TownerFan, when was the podcast recorded that Mike M  made that statement?

Apparently this is on my porch. 

Won't be able to report on it first - still haven't listened to Prisoner of Azkaban, and I like that better than Superman.  I'll listen to it eventually.

Just saw on FSM that between website and wholesale sales, they've already moved 3000+ copies of this in the first week.