SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

After hearing the many interviews for the different Superman The Movie CD Releases from Rhino , Film Score Monthly and La Land Records that Mike Matessino has done over the years it is quite remarkable how each of the releases was done and some of the legal issues etc. each had to get through. 1. You had the Salkind's owning everything up through 2001-2006 owning all materials related to the Superman films from 1978-1987 , 2. Warner Bros Music Group (now Water Tower Music and different from Warner Bros Records) splitting up the music division in 2004 and all the labels from one label plus the AOL Time Warner Sale in 2001 , 3. The Siegel and Shuster lawsuit regarding the Superman character which did get settled in 2013 prior to the release of Man of Steel and 4. Getting John Williams and his representatives to approve this new release of Superman The Movie on CD for the 40th Anniversary.  A lot of hurdles and legal issues each release had to go through for each of the CD release but I'm glad we have these all out and in our CD Collections and special thanks again to Mike Matessino and the teams who worked on these CD release for Superman The Movie. 

Been listening to this new release of the soundtrack from La Land Records over the last month it's amazing great release the best Superman The Movie has ever sounded !!!

On 3/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Smeltington said:

Actually I was pleased to find a breakdown of exactly that in the liner notes. Mike described which alternates were substantially different and which weren't. Based on what he wrote, here's the sequence I came up with for bonus tracks in my own edit:

Prelude and Main Title (alternate)

The Planet Krypton (alternate segment)

The Dome Opens (alternate)

The March of the Villains

The Mugger (alternate)

The Fortress of Solitude (alternate segment)

By the way I also included the vocal version of "Can You Read My Mind" in the main program in place of the instrumental. But I took it from the FSM release, which had the vocals mixed in a way that I preferred.

So, you'd suggest dropping the following ones then, right?

35 - Prelude And Main Title (Film Version)

36 - I Can Fly (Flying Sequence Alternate Segment)

37 - Can You Read My Mind (Film Version)

38 - Trajectory Malfunction (Alternate)

39 - Turning Back The World (Extended Version)

40 - The Prison Yard And End Title (Film Version)

Or is track 37 the vocal version you meant? It seems to be...

And what is "extended" in track 39? Would that be worth keeping instead of the "main" version?

Yes, I dropped all those bonus tracks. I didn't actually compare them, but placed my trust in Mike's liner notes. It depends how much of a completist you are. I'm glad to have those tracks, but don't need to keep them in my edit. Same with the source music from the Superman II and III set.

Mike's recreation of the Can You Read My Mind vocal version from the OST can be found on disc 3. The version on Disc 2, track 37, has different timing for the editing of the vocals, which is meant to match how they're edited in the film (the original film and OST had different editing). The Disc 2 version is also only the second half of the track (the section with the vocals). If I had wanted to source the vocal track from the LLL set, I would have used the version of Can You Read My Mind from disc 3 to replace the main program version.

For both vocal versions on the new set, though, I found that the vocals were mixed differently, and that I liked the mixing on the FSM set better. On the LLL set they don't blend as well with the backing track, and I found it distracting whenever the vocal track faded in and out.

I threw the vocal track out as hard as I could. Also threw out the film version Main Title and the alternate Trajectory Malfunction, swapped the two Turning Backs, put MotV after Love Theme and edited all the bonus non-concert piece tracks into a 24 minute suite. Also tried looping a part of the main title to fix that skipped beat.

Not a perfect cue, but I like I Can Fly (Flying Sequence Alternate Segment) because it has a longer read of the Love Theme just before the fast piece ends, and no underscore. Basically the slow second part is underscore to Margot Kidder's reading, which is funny once a decade for me, and the worst, most dated part of the score even without the reading.

Damn these Jim Titus articles are really, really fun and interesting to read  I'm glad he's been posting so many of them lately!

It makes me marvel at his craftwork over and over again

I know that MM said that there were basically no changes made sound wise  on the stand alone release of IV compared to the Blue Box, but I am damn close to buying it anyway just to have the artwork, and complete the set since I bought STM and II/III.

The only reason I bought II/III was the artwork and yes the bonus cues. Plan to get the standalone IV set as well.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I know that MM said that there were basically no changes made sound wise  on the stand alone release of IV compared to the Blue Box, but I am damn close to buying it anyway just to have the artwork, and complete the set since I bought STM and II/III.

I know :)

Just now, rough cut said:

I don’t listen to Cantina Band #2 very often but I still want it my collection, if you get my meaning.

But that's an OK piece!

I'm actually wondering how the new source cues are. :)

19 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm actually wondering how the new source cues are. :)

So here's a quick comment on each - I've included comments on the previously released tracks as well for good measure.

7. "Sunday Meeting" 1:30 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
Hymn-like, church music. Not memorable but not bad. It's fitting as an interlude if you find the right pieces to accompany it.

8. "Kansas High School" 1:47

This is catchy rock'n'roll that I'd put on par with "Cantina Band #2" from ANH, albeit in a different genre.

9. "Kansas Kids" 1:30

Similar too "Kansas High School", but not as good in my opinion.

10. "Late Night Country Music" 0:53 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
This sounds like "Luther's Luau with a country twist, and no, that's not a good thing.

11. "Luthor’s Luau" 2:50
Source music at it's finest. Not good, but not bad - I'll refer to my "Cantina Band #2" reference made earlier here.

19 hours ago, rough cut said:

I don’t listen to Cantina Band #2 very often but I still want it my collection, if you get my meaning.

12. "Lois’ Pad" 1:17 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
The track is pure 70's fluff, but could just as easily have been a demo for any of the songs that Barry White did with the Love Unlimited Orchestra,

13. "Desert Riff" 0:23 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
Some very nice solo guitar playing, but ends too quickly - this is a track that I'd love to hear fleshed out as it begins as a pure acoustic gem.

14. "Lois Car Radio" 1:56

I'm not a fan of this, I find it too repetetive and not very memorable.

15. "Kids on the Bus" 1:31 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
Imagine music accompanying a cheesy 70's comedy and a scene where some kids run away after pranking their teacher or neighbour; the footage being sped up a little. Not Williams's finest moment.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:51 AM, rough cut said:

On 4/6/2019 at 5:52 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

But that's an OK piece!

Cantina Band #2 is a great piece, but I still wouldn't pay $60+ for it.

OK or great? I am sure this one could be up for endless debate.

Would it be worth to pay $60 for it? You say not, and I am sure there are people who agree with you, and people who don’t.

I finally dipped for it. I put it in my cart and forgot about it. Oh well now my ridiculous cd collection is one set larger. I may add as many as 3 or 4 more this year.

Wow already shipped. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday 

I see this is now showing as "temporarily out of stock" on LLL's site. Did the other vendors get their allocation yet? SAE is still showing this as a pre-order. Typical, just when I get paid it's not available to order.

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

This is a great set. Everthing that the Potter set wanted to be but fell short of.

What's the Potter set lacking, in your opinion? I don't have any of these, but I'll certainly get Superman.

14 hours ago, Holko said:

From another thread: he doesn't like HP that much therefore the set is bad.

Shut your mouth. Your diarrhea of the mouth is chronic. HP is great but Superman soars above it. 

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

Potter set is perfect

But it is still not as good as Superman.