SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

It's not out of print, but it is out of stock.  This has been a common issue with LLL, especially over the past year or two (presumably has something to do with the amount of CD pressing plants) - they do a run of CDs, and when they go to restock, it takes months.  E.T. was out of stock for a while, Titanic was out of stock for a while, etc etc. 

You can always buy a gift card with the discount for the cost of the Superman set, and then use it when it comes back in stock!

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's not out of print, but it is out of stock.  This has been a common issue with LLL, especially over the past year or two (presumably has something to do with the amount of CD pressing plants) - they do a run of CDs, and when they go to restock, it takes months.  E.T. was out of stock for a while, Titanic was out of stock for a while, etc etc. 

You can always buy a gift card with the discount for the cost of the Superman set, and then use it when it comes back in stock!

Thing is, if you're not in the US, the first disc will be about 14$ shipping IIRC and the rest pile small amounts on. If you order releases separately, the shipping will cost much more than if you order them in one because the first disc will be 14$ again.

KM, I plan on making an order in the next few days for myself.  If you want to avoid the shipping costs, you can always PayPal me the money and I can buy you a gift certificate along with it.  The site gives you the option of sending the certificate to any e-mail address.  I'm trustworthy!  I have my own thread!

Starting to wonder if this was left "out of stock" for the duration of the sale. Disappointing, I would've picked it up. Oh well, the wait continues...

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Well isn't that the whole point of their strategy? That they give these promotions only when items they know will sell anyway aren't available?

Yeah but we don't like that.

yeah I wanted Superman at 25% off and now I'm pissed off at LLL, It's a new release so it should be in stock

You cannot expect a 6 months old release to be at 25 % of the price - especially a high profile release such as Superman.

Just cough up the money or stop complaining!

EDIT: Actually, more like 3 months!

yeah,I'll buy it later but a sale is a sale

and I would have bought Home Alone with it

Another factor is that the Canadian dollar exchange rate is extremely crappy and I end up paying about double price

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Another factor is that the Canadian dollar exchange rate is extremely crappy and I end up paying about double price

Ditto the AUD, just an awful time to buy anything USD sadly.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Ditto the AUD, just an awful time to buy anything USD sadly.

Plus the god awful shipping rates. It can sometimes cost more than the item I want shipped!

Dark and disturbing, it is.

If you prefer that over the original- so be it! Let everyone like what they like. :)

But don’t come around saying that it is more emotional, grandiose or transcendent... in that case you need to get your ears checked and your mental health examined!

Zimmer admitted to building his theme around the bones of Williams' didn't he? It's in the same key and YouTube has multiple versions of would-be editors mixing the two together. 

Zimmer's theme would have probably justified a tweet like that (whoever that random wrong tweeter is that got all of 450 likes for it, what a stable currency they've got going there) if it had ever been used in the film properly. But the film didn't really provide any opportunities for its potential to be fulfilled, either. 

But I don't think it's really an either/or when it comes to "What Are You Going to Do" - it's a really good piece that stakes out emotional territory different from Williams' take, but is still stirring and emotional in its own way. I think of it as a companion, not a replacement. It's a very interesting "what if," probably the most interesting "what if" from that entire failed experiment. 

I do pretty strongly disagree with the idea that the Superman theme is "dated" somehow, or that being "Dated" is an automatic negative. I don't know that it's dated. Classic is a much better word choice. 

5 hours ago, The Original said:

Ah, Millenials and the obligatory "epic" descriptor.

The doggie? bunny? face get-up adds immensely to her credibility.

It's disheartening to hear such rejection over this wonderful score, it's almost the equivalent of the sentiment I often hear when people say they hate older films because they're black and white. One of the things that anyone should be able to pick up on is how rich and detailed this score is, they really don't write them like this anymore. I will happily grant anyone that they could prefer Zimmer's Man of Steel over this score, after all, it seems to fit so easily into the tastes of the rest of the scoring world and that would be fine - it's their choice. I just feel it's a great waste and disrespect to shit on Williams' score because it's of an older time. 

Either way, I think Superman as a hero is a remnant of a bygone era, it revels in its cheesiness and primary colors, a sense of jubilee and justice that doesn't work when you strip that away to make him a gritty, multi-faceted alien, which is why I've always thought each attempt to resurrect the character and reboot it for the modern era are ultimately doomed to failure. 

17 hours ago, Larry O said:

I do pretty strongly disagree with the idea that the Superman theme is "dated" somehow, or that being "Dated" is an automatic negative. I don't know that it's dated. Classic is a much better word choice. 

Agree, it’s a classic. Pity they didn’t keep it in the DCEU.

I always compare this to the James Bond franchise. Update the score, keep the theme.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Agree, it’s a classic. Pity they didn’t keep it in the DCEU.

I always compare this to the James Bond franchise. Update the score, keep the theme.

Composers don't necessarily want to be chained to another composer's work.

Elfman seems to have gotten completely un-precious about using other people's themes over the past few years.  Dumbo, The Grinch, Justice League, Avengers 2.  He uses them and does something different and interesting with them.  I like it!

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Composers don't necessarily want to be chained to another composer's work.

True, but when the work in question is so tightly tied to the very concept of the character/film in question, it's almost like dereliction of duty to not incorporate that somehow. 

There are people who see a Superman S and don't even think "S" or "Superman," they think of that melody. There are a LOT of people for whom that's the initial response. See Superman - Hear Theme. Whether it's playing at the time or not. When something is at that point, the only reason not to use that music is either you don't have the rights to it, or you honestly think you can overcome the cultural programming. 

Williams and Lucas faced this exact question when they were making the Prequels. They considered changing the opening fanfare, before deciding there was probably no way they could overcome the programming they'd installed in audiences that "STAR WARS" = that theme. So even though it was Luke's theme, and Luke was never going to be in the movie, Phantom Menace started the way it did.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:16 PM, King Mark said:

Potter set is perfect

You are completely wrong. I can understand why Bilbo would have a puzzled face (he has never expressed serious Superman fandon) and you with your seriously unhealthy need for ever single note, and then some, but most normal people gets quickly tired of all these micro edits. It makes for a piss poor listening experience. 

5 minutes ago, Larry O said:

Williams and Lucas faced this exact question when they were making the Prequels. They considered changing the opening fanfare, before deciding there was probably no way they could overcome the programming they'd installed in audiences that "STAR WARS" = that theme. So even though it was Luke's theme, and Luke was never going to be in the movie, Phantom Menace started the way it did.

Yeah but the prequels are set in the same universe as the originals, so using the same theme makes sense. But Man of Steel is set in a completely different universe to the Donnerverse, so it makes sense to create a new theme for a film that has no relation to the previous incarnation.

I felt sick when Howard Shore had to use the Misty Mountains theme, a blasphemous mark on his holy Middle-earth scores!

15 minutes ago, The Original said:

Yeah but the prequels are set in the same universe as the originals, so using the same theme makes sense. 

I understand, and I think they made the right choice ultimately, but that's almost beside the point being made: When something is that culturally impactful, you have to have a very, very good reason to work against that, and you have to have the confidence and the foreknowledge that your attempt at achieving the same feeling is going to succeed. For the prequels, Williams & Lucas decided to stick to the Star Wars "programming." 

I like Zimmer's Man of Steel theme a lot. I also think Williams' theme would have seemed incongruous with the vision Snyder had for the universe. Honestly, I think a huge part of why the underwear got jettisoned, and the theme was one of the first casualties, was because there was no way Snyder/Goyer could go forward with their vision if those reminders of what the character COULD be were front and center. People would have instantly disconnected. They mostly did anyway, but it would have been so much faster and more abrupt. 

That theme being gone was essentially permission to kick dirt on the character. I get all that - kicking dirt is what they wanted, ultimately. But I also think that experiment now serves as a good example: If you have cultural understanding on a non-verbal level to THAT degree, you should probably just lean into it. Those sorts of musical miracles don't happen too often, and unless you have a damn good reason and a damn good composer on your side that you think can legitimately rewrite that programming on that scale? It's best to figure out how to pay homage and incorporate new ideas alongside rather than throw out the the old. 

Why are people discussing total shit like the prequels in a Superman thread. Go elswhere.