SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

3 hours ago, Thor said:

If we're all sharing our SUPERMAN soundtrack story....I bought the old Warner Bros CD through post order(!) back in the 90s. It will be my one and only SUPERMAN soundtrack untill the day I die. But I did buy the Rhino 2CD at some point, just to see what the big deal was. Loved the "Helicopter Rescue" track of the unreleased cues -- and perhaps one I could include in the already-long Warner Bros programme without losing flow -- but ultimately found that was not enough to keep it. Sold it a few years later. The End.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. 😂

Yeah, well, I suppose I will be buying this...for the fourth time. I've never actually heard the original album. Do you think it might be the third CD on this set?

Karol

This is a score I never get tired of purchasing.  I hope there is some new unreleased track on it that we’ve never heard before, but I’ll still get it either way.

11 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Don't forget Amistad!

Nah...

Amistad would be great to have, too, but it's not as top ranked as the other 3! 

But Nixon, Born on the Fourth of July, and Far and Away would be awesome too.

28 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'm excited about this.... 

But honestly I'd have been more excited about War of the Worlds, Minority Report, or JFK!

All inferior scores to Superman the Movie.

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

All inferior scores.

It's not about inferior or superior. Duh.

But we already have a more or less complete Superman! These other scores have so far seen no expansion treatment whatsoever.

Apparently we dont with a third disc coming. 

Far more excited about this than even HP.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

Apparently we dont with a third disc coming. 

Far more excited about this than even HP.

The third disc is probably the true OST album, plus a few bonus tracks (more source music, alternates, etc.).

More music from my top 3 favorite films of all time. 

My favorite Richard Donner Quote: "Salkind said to me upon hearing John's score "Its too American" what a fucking asshole he was. He is as worthless a Dino De Laurentiis."

Just now, Wojism said:

That's just silly talk. 

Again I care more about this than Harry Potter. Not silly to me at all. Silly talk is caring about an expanded dust collectors like Amistad or JFK.

No, I don't care about JFK (never heard before, don't own) or Amistad (heard a few times but definitely in my pile of CDs to get rid of. 

Superman has had an abundance of official releases over the decades, to the point of oversaturation. A new release is unnecessary and non-essential. If it had never been mentioned, nobody would have ever missed it. Entire generations would live and die in complete ignorance of a few missing source tracks, a few minutes of unknown music, re-edits of existing music, alternates, and maybe a better sound quality for people with dogs' ears. But mention a new Superman album coming out, and the people with disposable incomes get super wet at the thought of having this otherwise un-thought of shameful money grab come into their lives. Repackaged, recycled, with a pretty box and a sad story, and you people would buy anything ten times. 

But Harry Potter expansions are completely essential and welcome, seeing as how we got only one official album for each of the first three, and only two had superior unofficial expanded releases.

I probably should have waited ten years for LLL to expand each of these Harry Potter scores to four discs like they inevitably will do. 

56 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

My favorite Richard Donner Quote: "Salkind said to me upon hearing John's score "Its too American" what a fucking asshole he was. 

51 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Not silly to me at all. Silly talk is caring about an expanded dust collectors like Amistad or JFK.

Seriously, though, what's more American than JFK...? 😂 

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Seriously, though, what's more American than JFK...? 😂 

Salkind didn't make that crazy film 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Again I care more about this than Harry Potter. Not silly to me at all. Silly talk is caring about an expanded dust collectors like Amistad or JFK.

Firstly, how can anyone care more about a slight remaster and no new music than about four and a fucking half hours of music?!

Secondly, how can anyone call Amistad and JFK dust collectors?!

That is the most disturbing JWFan comment ever!

(Actually, well let's say 'sadly', it is probably not even in the Top 10,000 of the most disturbing comments of this forum.)

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

More music from my top 3 favorite films of all time. 

My favorite Richard Donner Quote: "Salkind said to me upon hearing John's score "Its too American" what a fucking asshole he was. He is as worthless a Dino De Laurentiis."

Do you have a source? I'd love to read the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Wojism said:

But Harry Potter expansions are completely essential and welcome, seeing as how we got only one official album for each of the first three, and only two had superior unofficial expanded releases.

Agreed! :thumbup:

7 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

Given that I never had the Blue Box, and this is a Matessino effort, I'll very likely be getting this with glee.

I love the Rino release (listened to it this morning), so the improvement from better sources this will have, especially with MM on production and Jim Titus on artwork, will be fantastic.

7 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I own both the Rhino release and the Blue Box. I'm not sure if I'm willing to triple dip. But given the people behind it, in sure this release will be wonderful!

Mike Matessino worked on both the Rhino and the Blue Box as well...

18 minutes ago, karelm said:

Any release from JW's Golden Age is an instant buy!

Good to know there's a market for the upcoming two disc expanded release of Black Sunday. 

Disc 1 is the Intrada album. 

Disc 2 is another copy of the Intrada album.

Well, this was a phenomenal announcement. I KNEW IT!!! Three CD set, though?!? Wow! Judging by the sound of the music in that preview, the Maestro's score is completely remastered. As with all of John Williams' music, I am definitely getting this; this is special, as I never got the previous two releases of the soundtrack to Superman. I CANNOT WAIT!

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Firstly, how can anyone care more about a slight remaster and no new music than about four and a fucking half hours of music?!

Secondly, how can anyone call Amistad and JFK dust collectors?!

That is the most disturbing JWFan comment ever!

(Actually, well let's say 'sadly', it is probably not even in the Top 10,000 of the most disturbing comments of this forum.)

Your #1 is never having listened to E.T. and Close Encounters. Please do yourself a favor. And when you do let us know, we will be happy for you.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Well, this was a phenomenal announcement. I KNEW IT!!! Three CD set, though?!? Wow! Judging by the sound of the music in that preview, the Maestro's score is completely remastered. As with all of John Williams' music, I am definitely getting this; this is special, as I never got the previous two releases of the soundtrack to Superman. I CANNOT WAIT!

So right now you just have the OST album? Or no Superman album at all?

2 hours ago, Wojism said:

Good to know there's a market for the upcoming two disc expanded release of Black Sunday. 

Black Sunday was released by FSM, not Intrada. 

For some reason, I have a feeling that the three CD set of the Maestro's score to Superman will be released either in January or February 2019. I don't know why; I just have a feeling.

Its interesting that Mike Matessino mentions why the source music from Superman 1 was put on the SUPERMANII/III LLL set. [See link above]

(The podcast doesnt go into much detail on the new upcoming release though)

Just now, JohnnyD said:

For some reason, I have a feeling that the three CD set of the Maestro's score to Superman will be released either in January or February 2019.

Could it be either of those but I think its January. Although Feb is Williams 87th Birthday month.

2 minutes ago, Amer said:

Could it be either of those but I think its January. Although Feb is Williams 87th Birthday month.

That's why, in February, we're probably getting the Complete Star Wars prequels! :P

Would I be correct in saying that Mike Mattesino is the Maestro's music preservationist and archivist? That is my impression, anyway.

Cool! That is awesome. In that case, you probably answered my next question, but I just wanted to clarify this. Has Mr. Matessino met the Maestro in person?

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Your #1 is never having listened to E.T. and Close Encounters. Please do yourself a favor. And when you do let us know, we will be happy for you.

Actually I listened to them once or twice. But you're right, I should finally give them the amount of spins they deserve.

12 hours ago, Wojism said:

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Black Sunday was released by FSM, not Intrada. 

If Intrada does the new release, Woj can still be correct.

Re Superman: I have the 14 track album, the Rhino, and the Blue Box. And as everyone knows, I'm not a huge fan of the score after The Fortress of Solitude (everything up to that is indeed excellent). I'll pick this up if the sound is significantly improved or there's worthwhile extra material (which I doubt).

12 hours ago, Wojism said:

It's always good to have redundancy!

It's amazing how many podcast interviews w/ MM we've had the pleasure to listen to in the past couple months!  We've definitely been spoiled this last year with releases, not sure how 2018 can be topped but looking forward to SUP:TM as well as others next year!

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

...not sure how 2018 can be topped...

The official JW 2019 release schedule

FEBRUARY: SUPERMAN 3-CD,

APRIL: THE EIGER SANCTION 2-CD,

JUNE: EARTHQUAKE 2-CD,

AUGUST: PRESUMED INNOCENT expanded,

SEPTEMBER: AMISTAD expanded,

OCTOBER: THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK 2-CD,

NOVEMBER: JFK 2-CD; NIXON 2-CD,

DECEMBER: THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST expanded.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

The official JW 2019 release schedule

FEBRUARY: SUPERMAN 3-CD,

APRIL: THE EIGER SANCTION 2-CD,

JUNE: EARTHQUAKE 2-CD,

AUGUST: PRESUMED INNOCENT expanded,

SEPTEMBER: AMISTAD expanded,

OCTOBER: THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK 2-CD,

NOVEMBER: JFK 2-CD; NIXON 2-CD,

DECEMBER: THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST expanded.

You forgot the Star Wars prequels! 

Remember, next year is the 20th Anniversary of The Phantom Menace

So how much will this cost? I fear that ordering all 4 scores is going to cost me more than the blue box would have ( I didn't buy that because of the pricetag... ) I'm glad to buy these newer definitive editions...but I find it ironic hehe.

22 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So how much will this cost? I fear that ordering all 4 scores is going to cost me more than the blue box would have

I'd guess $35, same as the 3-disc A.I. and Die Hard.