FILM: The Shining (1980)

John

2 hours ago, John said:

Hitchcock once said that suspense isn't created by a bomb going off, but by the anticipation of the explosion

The anticipation being that of the audience. Its the notion that, when the audience is in on information that's withheld from the characters, that generates suspense. Its pretty much the textbook definition of suspense (as opposed to tension) in Hollywood today.

And while I would say The Shining just isn't scary, it does have atmosphere by the boatload. It should be said, however, horror is the second most subjective genre, so there's that going for the movie, too. I don't find it scary - others might.

We are all different so everything is subjective. While the film doesn't frighten me, I enjoy watching it, because I like Kubrick's style. BTW, on repetitive viewing, concepts like 'scary', which mostly feeds on novelty, suffer from the law of diminishing returns anyways, so who cares?

4323_20.jpg

And make no mistake, Jack was already crazy.

medium.jpg

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long ... And you have burned so very, very brightly, Jack."

• 4 months later...