RUMOR: John Williams plans to retire in 2019

Ricard

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Guys, he's 86 years old. He has to stop composing one day, it's just fair and logical.

Jim, Williams is 86 years old. We feel his day is over.

The only thing that makes me take it seriously is that Ricard posted this in order to allude that he’s heard something too.

But I don’t appreciate him being so vague about what he knows tbh. It’s just shit-stirring otherwise. I get that he doesn’t want to call out his sources or talk about stuff that’s not 100% or whatever but then just don’t bother. Let it come out officially. 

Yeah, I agree with others here that there's absolutely no way JW stops composing before he's on death's door (which I'm going to assume is not the case right now). As others have noted, though, it does seem plausible that he could be done with film scoring and/or conducting soon. Which would be sad, but as long as he's still writing I'm satisfied. :)

----------------------------------------------

EDIT: Hmm... :(

12 hours ago, Ricard said:

I know where this comes from and it seems well-founded. However, since the source is not JW himself or his representatives, we should obviously treat it as a rumor.

Discuss! 

This thread is in really poor taste.  If this is merely a rumor, then you've posted a rumor you had no business posting.  If it's true, then you've done Williams a disservice by trying to scoop him on his own retirement.

Either way, shame on you.

I hope it's not true, it would be sad for all of us. But Ricard started the thread so it could be true.

Maybe his health problems were more serious than we thought and he just wants to finish episode 9 and retire

2 hours ago, Score said:

My first internet rule is that unofficial, unconfirmed, and unverifiable news should not be re-tweeted and, in general, should not be taken seriously. This HPANA that posted that rumor has shown a significant disrespect towards the man, and we should not feed this behavior. 

well it does say it's exclusive info so they didn't grab it from another site. Maybe they were told something directly

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

well it does say it's exclusive info so they didn't grab it from another site. Maybe they were told something directly

I didn't mean that they stole it from another site. I meant that I find it extremely incorrect that they have put this news online in that way. They replied to Lehman's request for the source of their information by saying that they cannot reveal it. So, either their source was not supposed to pass this personal information around (otherwise it would be official and there would be no need to hide the source), or they made it up. In both cases, what HPANA did is wrong (and, in my opinion, childish), even if it eventually turns out that JW will indeed retire next year. In any case, I would trust information like this only when they come from official and verifiable sources, like JW himself or his agents. The man does not need to reveal his future plans in exclusive to HPANA.

1 hour ago, Score said:

I didn't mean that they stole it from another site. I meant that I find it extremely incorrect that they have put this news online in that way. They replied to Lehman's request for the source of their information by saying that they cannot reveal it. So, either their source was not supposed to pass this personal information around (otherwise it would be official and there would be no need to hide the source), or they made it up. In both cases, what HPANA did is wrong (and, in my opinion, childish), even if it eventually turns out that JW will indeed retire next year. In any case, I would trust information like this only when they come from official and verifiable sources, like JW himself or his agents. The man does not need to reveal his future plans in exclusive to HPANA.

Sorry, but anonymous sources are an actual thing in journalism and it isn’t wrong at all to use them.

Yeah, it's tricky because on the one hand we're really sensitive, almost "protective," about JW, so we're loath to see anyone leaking information and see it as distasteful. But on the other hand, anonymous sources are nothing new in reporting and, while it's prudent to be cautious about them, if the HP site has this right than I guess congrats to them. Getting the scoop is reporters' job, and while this report may seem distasteful to us, it doesn't appear to be grievously intrusive on privacy or anything.

1 hour ago, Score said:

Agreed! 

In this day and age, the phrase "anonymous source" automatically makes you somewhat skeptical and suspicious, especially if this has nothing to do with government secrets or national security, blah blah, etc. etc.... So much fake news around, I personally wouldn't trust it. 

Again, unless JW himself or his representatives officially announce it, I wouldn't give this any special credence.