RUMOR: John Williams plans to retire in 2019

Ricard

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why are you nagging about this if you can't even reveal your so-called source?

In fairness to him, a lot of members are continually asking/confronting him about it.

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Um, I don't think Google groups existed in '93...

It's rec.arts.! That's like...Internet medieval times!

23 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Let's be real, though, how many film scores would this supposed retirement take from us?

Outside of the film world, he seems to be getting his hands busy with all these new arrangements for Anna Sophie-Mutter, etc. This is the aspect of his work that I don't see stopping, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue at a more or less steady pace.

I mean, I don't want him to stop writing music at all. Concert works suit me perfectly.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

It's rec.arts.! That's like...Internet medieval times!

This video explains quite a bit about newsgroups! 

14 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I'm more interested in the Flintstones mystery now

No mystery in there whatsoever. If memory serves, during the Jurassic Park sessions, the theme music had to be recorded for the upcoming trailer, and they asked Williams if it could be done at one of those sessions. I believe that he just conducted the orchestra for that and it was all of his involvement with The Flinstones film.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

No mystery in there whatsoever. If memory serves, during the Jurassic Park sessions, the theme music had to be recorded for the upcoming trailer, and they asked Williams if it could be done at one of those sessions. I believe that he just conducted the orchestra for that and it was all of his involvement with The Flinstones film.

It could have been Artie Kane though...

20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why are you nagging about this if you can't even reveal your so-called source?

Um, I don't think Google groups existed in '93...

Like dude you're harshing my mellow maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. I thought this was a thread about fantasy talk anyway. I don't know, I tend to trust Wizarding news community. They have good sources from both Diagon Alley AND Kockturn Alley (which is why, for obvious reasons, he cannot reveal his source). Silly muggles....

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I was worried he wouldn't make it to Indiana Jones 4 way back then .Now were getting a hew SW score in 2019

As much as I share your enthusiasm for a new JW SW score in 2019, the guy is 87, with fairly severe hearth issues. Let’s stay realistic gents. There’s still a chance he won’t ever write another movie score. Let’s make sure that we don’t live in the future, but we appreciate the decades of incredible music he wrote for us to enjoy.

I hate to be such a Debbie Downer, but he won’t live forever. Like all of us.

And I won’t tell you about the nightmare I had last night..

• 11 months later...
On 12/25/2018 at 3:46 AM, Wizarding News said:

But I reconfirmed with my source, and (ungendered pronoun 'they') said it was not just about Star Wars.

Now that that's been totally debunked, any chance you could share your sources?

• 2 weeks later...

The socalled "news" from Wizarding-whathisface was very clearly dubious from the start, not least of which was the desperate self-affirming rhetoric (the 'ethos' part of the three aristotelian modes of persuasion). I'm surprised it got so much flack it did; a waste of energy, really, as it was fairly transparent.

But yeah, a year later and still no news about retirement, so I guess he could reveal this mythical super source now.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Yeah he's not "officially" retired, but he has no scoring plans either .Especially with Spielberg dropping out of Indy 5

It is all but confirmed that he is writing a new violin concerto.  At most, he might step back from movies, but he will compose until he cannot.  

He's said repeatedly he'll continue to write music while he's able to. That should be common knowledge to most regular visitors here. That was the main reason the prediction he'd retire at the end of 2019 was met with responses that can be summarized with one word: "bullshit".

TBH, with nothing else from Spielberg on the horizon (he regularly goes into multi-year hiatuses) and Indiana Jones 5 almost certainly delayed indefinitely due to coronavirus, I wouldn't be surprised if TROS became JW's final film score.

Star Wars is finished, Hollywood is shutting down and JW doesn't seem interested in branching out beyond Spielberg.

But hey, if that means Williams spends the next few years just writing small, personal works or new concert suites, that's great news to me. Indy 5 would be icing on the icing of a well-iced cake. 

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But hey, if that means Williams spends the next few years just writing small, personal works or new concert suites, that's great news to me.

Yeah, that would be fine by me. Plus, there is a ton of "new" (or rather unheard) Williams music yet to be dug ut, especially from the TV days. So even if he retired tomorrow, we would still have a lifetime full of Williams treasures to hunt down. And that's on top of enjoying the great amounts that are already out there.