91st Annual Academy Awards Discussion Thread

John

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Just a prediction update:

I'd still say it's safe to say that it's a coin toss between First Man and Black Panther, but I feel Black Panther may get the edge.

Pretty sad outcome in either case, but I guess FIRST MAN is the lesser of two evils.

21 hours ago, Thor said:

Pretty sad outcome in either case, but I guess FIRST MAN is the lesser of two evils.

Eh, that seems a bit overdramatic. Both are very good scores in their own right. 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:15 PM, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Anyone else think Solo's the only Star Wars album worth owning? There's little highlights with the Williams (and even the Giacchino) scores, but nothing that makes me want to own the CD's. Solo hooks me with Corellia Chase every dang time and I always just have to listen to the rest of the album! 

With every Star Wars score preceding it, my ears tune out after the main fanfare and I get bored and want to put on something else. 

I own the CDs for TPM, RotS, TFA and Solo and the latter is the only one that gets any playtime. (I've actually never heard the full albums for any of the OT)

So yes, I share a similar disinterest in almost anything SW related. Solo has Powell and that's really the only reason I own it.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Just a prediction update:

I'd still say it's safe to say that it's a coin toss between First Man and Black Panther, but I feel Black Panther may get the edge.

This.

#OscarsSoWhite will provide the latest PC statement that everyone will be falling over themselves to associate with. It helps that the music sounds African too.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

It's not a sad outcome. They are probably the two most suitable to win from this year's scores. Remember that favourite or best doesnt always equal winning an award. First Man and Black Panther nail the variety and eclectic style that I feel gets the awards these days. I quite liked First Man, and Black Panther has a good cue or two.

1 hour ago, John said:

Eh, that seems a bit dramatic. Both are very good scores in their own right. 

Listening to Waterfall Fight is such a treat! Other than that I'm not a fan of Black Panther. They are both good score in their own right, yes.

51 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

OscarsSoWhite will provide the latest PC statement that everyone will be falling over themselves to associate with. It helps that the music sounds African too.

Um, I find this really disappointing. If a composer or a director or an actor/actress wins an award because  of the pressing of a social justice agenda, the award is meaningless. However, this doesn't mean that they didn't have the best material and were the top pick for the nomination. I say if you wrote a great score you get the award. If you directed a great film you get the award. If you acted in a great role you get the award. If it just becomes a super equality event for the only reason so as to not appear biased, then it really will become unwatchable. 

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I own the CDs for TPM, RotS, TFA and Solo and the latter is the only one that gets any playtime. (I've actually never heard the full albums for any of the OT)

So yes, I share a similar disinterest in almost anything SW related. Solo has Powell and that's really the only reason I own it.

...Will you marry me?

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It's not a sad outcome. They are probably the two most suitable to win from this year's scores. Remember that favourite or best doesnt always equal winning an award. First Man and Black Panther nail the variety and eclectic style that I feel gets the awards these days. I quite liked First Man, and Black Panther has a good cue or two.

Maybe. I tend not to care what the Academy thinks, or what the 'likely' winners are based on their preferences or current trends. I'm just going by my own judgement, which I trust the most. I don't think any of the nominees/shortlist candidates were that interesting this year -- in fact, only a couple of them managed to sneak in among my 'honourable mentions'. BLACK PANTHER and FIRST MAN were NOT among them. Massively overrated.

32 minutes ago, Zanobard said:

First Man wasn't even nominated? Seriously?

Such a shame, I thought Hurwitz's work for the film was one of the better scores of 2018.

It was not worthy. Such an average film. 

Black Panther is most worthy. Its a ground breaking film in many ways. Even my White Privilege can see that.

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

It was not worthy. Such an average film.

I mean, I disagree completely. I thought First Man as a movie was amazing, and I found the score fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I do like the score for Black Panther, but nowhere near as much.

14 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Black Panther is most worthy. Its a ground breaking film in many ways. Even my White Privilege can see that.

The special effects... the level of special effects in this film. I mean HUGE!

3 minutes ago, John said:

Man, what a snub for Hurwitz. You’d think after his win at the Globes, a nomination, even a win was in the bag. 

Looking at the list of Globe winners, he’s now the fifth since 2000 not to get Oscar nominated. So it’s not the surest of things.

4 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

The hilarious awkwardness of the Academy over-nominating Black Panther to not seem racist, yet by doing so have shown they are.

Black Panther is an incredibly culturally significant film and a darn good movie in its own right. I don’t mind the Academy giving it a nod as an acknowledgement of its importance. 

Just now, Zanobard said:

I mean, I disagree completely.

There are people who do. I felt it lacked the right stuff

14 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

The hilarious awkwardness of the Academy over-nominating Black Panther to not seem racist, yet by doing so have shown they are.

It is not unusual for the top US boxoffice winner to nominated and since it is also the highest rated film by the critics it's nominations are justified.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

MARY POPPINS and BLACKKKLANSMAN are OK, I suppose, but far from my favourites of the year. The others are as empty as vapour to me.

BLACK PANTHER is the most overrated film and score of the whole year. People have gone nuts over the whole 'representative' thing, but that doesn't make the film or score itself any better. People are weird.

I think you have it backwards

I still have no idea who will win.

Black Panther is a good bet, and not all that bad as a modern age score, everything considered, but Desplat is always a contender.

Mary Poppins is the overrated one here, somewhat refreshingly traditional as it is.

I think you have it backwards

No. How does the fact that the film is 'culturally significant' (sic) or 'representative' have any bearing whatsoever on the purely aesthetic quality of the film or score?

The contest should have been between Solo and First Man, but we know how these things are.

Just now, Thor said:

No. How does the fact that the film is 'culturally significant' (sic) or 'representative' have any bearing whatsoever on the quality of the film or score?

The Oscars have been about politics since time immemorial.  May the best score/film win it ain't.  

Some thoughts:

- Black Panther is great but it’s not a oscar-worthy film let’s be honest.

- Justin Hurwitz’s snob was odd. I’m not a huge First Man fan but it’s certainly better than Isle of Dogs

- Pleased to see Adam Driver getting nominated. He was superb in BlacKkKlansman.

- I need to see Roma.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

No. How does the fact that the film is 'culturally significant' (sic) or 'representative' have any bearing whatsoever on the purely aesthetic quality of the film or score?

Are you purposely being obtuse?

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

No, are you? You suggested it was "the other way around" when I suggested there is no connection between a film being 'representative' and its values on a purely aesthetic level. So I'm curious to know what your connection is there.

Next years Best Picture winner will be titled 'Black Feminism,' A film directed by Oprah, with an all-black transgender cast, but the music, production design, costume design, art direction, cinematography, sound editing and mixing, visual effects are all by white people. But as long as the film appears progessive on the surface, it doesn't matter.

I can see the reviews now...

"The film has an all-black transgender cast. Therefore it's a great film. Any one who doesn't like it, or who thinks it's good but not the most revolutionary masterpiece of our times, is simply a racist, sexist, homophobic pig."

I find its message very representative of the current world. It is judgemental on both its own society and the surrounding world. It has something to say that needs to be heard.  I find the film very craftful even artistic on so many levels. It confronts racism head on. Its not afraid to turn that eye inwards as well. Am I reading too much into it? Perhaps but it also paints a beautiful picture if you plan to just go watch one hell of an exciting movie. Its checks off all the boxes of a great film. Outstanding direction, a great ensemble cast(something too easily dismissed), great classic storyline,  and it goes without saying top notch technicals.

For the record, I enjoyed Black Panther. It was a flawed film, but still liked it overall, including the score. But we all know why the film was nominated for Best Picture. And it wasn't because the Academy thought it was one of the 8 best films of the year.

26 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

For the record, I enjoyed Black Panther. It was a flawed film, but still liked it overall, including the score. But we all know why the film was nominated for Best Picture. And it wasn't because the Academy thought it was one of the 8 best films of the year.

Bullshit. As previously pointed out its nomination is nothing out of the ordinary. The biggest critical and most popular films of the year usually get an Oscar nomination for best picture. Only 3 US films have ever broken 700 million dollars in domestic grosses. All three received best picture nominations as of today.

Your argument would carry more weight if it came last year. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Next years Best Picture winner will be titled 'Black Feminism,' A film directed by Oprah, with an all-black transgender cast, but the music, production design, costume design, art direction, cinematography, sound editing and mixing, visual effects are all by white people. But as long as the film appears progessive on the surface, it doesn't matter.

I can see the reviews now...

"The film has an all-black transgender cast. Therefore it's a great film. Any one who doesn't like it, or who thinks it's good but not the most revolutionary masterpiece of our times, is simply a racist, sexist, homophobic pig."

It's like you describing Kamala Harris' presidential campaign.

Once again, Williams misses out on being nominated in a year where the competition is pretty ordinary and there's no standout. 

Just watch, next year when he gets nominated for SWIX, there'll be 2 or 3 really popular alternatives that get the votes instead (just like Morricone with TFA, FOTR with Potter/AI, Brokeback with Memoirs, etc.) I don't think he'll ever get that elusive 6th Oscar.

Also, based on the 5 nominees, I reckon Solo was a shoe-in for a nomination were it eligible. Nice work, Disney.