91st Annual Academy Awards Discussion Thread

John

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I would 

1. Eliminate Song

2. Fuse the 2 sound categories

3. Fold make-up into Costume Design

I would cut out the presentations of the best picture nominees. Really pointless. I would cut out clips for the acting nominees. Again pointless. I would cut out In Memorium. All of these would save time. 

I think most people would hate losing the acting clips and In Memoriam. 

Honestly I’m not even sure who these people are that would watch the Oscars if it was 2 hours instead of 3-4. The main problem is that there are so many awards that everybody already pretty much knows who’s going to win Best Picture and acting and people care less and less about the movies that stand a chance. And also celebrity culture is so different now that it’s really no longer very interesting or exciting or even especially glamorous anymore to see a bunch of famous people in the same room. 

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

And also celebrity culture is so different now that it’s really no longer very interesting or exciting or even especially glamorous anymore to see a bunch of famous people in the same room. 

Why is that?

I think there are so many talk shows and magazines and things plus Twitter, Instagram etc that these people are way more accessible and we just see them everywhere all the time. It’s more of a novelty to see them in a movie than as themselves. And everyone is more aware of all the facades and behind the scenes of showbiz, less mystery to what it must be like.

49 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

The main problem is that there are so many awards that everybody already pretty much knows who’s going to win Best Picture.

I would dispute that say that actually we have seen added unpredictability in recent years. The winner for 2016 was a shocker and the outcomes for best picture for 2015, 2013 were extremely uncertain. Even this year, though you could say Roma is a favorite on paper there is no certainty what might win.

16 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think most people would hate losing the acting clips and In Memoriam. 

Honestly I’m not even sure who these people are that would watch the Oscars if it was 2 hours instead of 3-4. The main problem is that there are so many awards that everybody already pretty much knows who’s going to win Best Picture and acting and people care less and less about the movies that stand a chance. And also celebrity culture is so different now that it’s really no longer very interesting or exciting or even especially glamorous anymore to see a bunch of famous people in the same room. 

They got rid of acting clips for a year or two, and replaced it with mundane talking about acting. It was one of the worst decisions they ever made. 

It was pretty cringey. But I liked when Colin Farrell spoke for Jeremy Renner and was like “Hey, Jeremy, remember SWAT?”

And the 2002/3 Oscars they cut the red carpet and the clips because of the war (lol) which I guess saved time but that was also the year they spent like 20 minutes doing a roll call of every acting winner there.

wow I just looked at the nominations .It's one of the most dismal years ever. Like the picked the least worst films of the year to nominate

Black Panther? really? it's not even a good Marvel film

Why isn't First Man nominated for best picture?

On 1/31/2019 at 4:10 AM, Alex said:

Best Editing nomination but this hurts my brain 

This WON Best Editing from the Editors Guild voted on only by actual professional editors working in the industry. : O

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/bohemian-rhapsody-the-favourite-atlanta-win-ace-editing-awards-1203125101/

Yikes, so many jarring, rushed cuts to completely divergent shot types. A few examples of breaking the line too, with little regard for economical cutting. Eugh.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:09 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

You cannot do that. I mean there is nothing preventing them from doing that but I have never heard of a case where the film was altered for the home release in any way. Sure they alter it for director's cut and all but for the home release, the film is basically as you see it in theaters.

Some special editions do tinker... like Star Wars changing some shots or E.T. changing the guns etc.

But it is usually considered very bad form to make changes and people usually have a negative reaction like they did to E.T. and Star Wars changes.

Sadly a lot of people here are okay with the changes in Star Wars

Since he was referring to Solo, I think if there's an obvious defect that makes the film almost unwatchable like the brightness/gamma levels, etc. then they should at least consider fixing that for its next release.

A reverse example is Godzilla '14 looked fine in cinemas, but the blu-ray, DVD and cable broadcast versions were so dark, I haven't had much reason to revisit it much. But I decided to check it out on Netflix, and it looks like they've fixed it! It looks fine on that service. Thank glod for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Oscars for cinematography and editing will be presented during commercial breaks. The film community is shocked. 

I would not presume to suggest what categories should occur during commercials on Oscars night, but, please: Cinematography & Editing are at the very heart of our craft. They are not inherited from a theatrical or literary tradition: they are cinema itself. - Guillermo del Toro

In the history of CINEMA, masterpieces have existed without sound, without color, without a story, without actors and without music. No one single film has ever existed without CINEMAtography and without editing. - Alfonso Cuaron

My favourite quote on this is from Seth Rogen: "What better way to celebrate achievements in film than to NOT publicly honor the people whose job it is to literally film things."

Dumb decision is dumb. But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all some calculated ploy for boosting ratings.

I heard they also plan to alternate the "cut" categories every year. Why they can't cut the 30-minute diatribes on the Best Picture nominees over any of the award categories is beyond me.

3 hours ago, KK said:

Dumb decision is dumb. But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all some calculated ploy for boosting ratings.

I heard they also plan to alternate the "cut" categories every year. Why they can't cut the 30-minute diatribes on the Best Picture nominees over any of the award categories is beyond me.

Or the wholesale dick swallowing of acting nominees with 2 minute speeches for each or lengthy clips. Cut the damn clips and treat them like everyone else.

Right. And while they're at it, cut the celebs reading off dumb jokes over a teleprompter. Bam, you've got more than enough time to screen those excised awards.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

In the history of CINEMA, masterpieces have existed without sound, without color, without a story, without actors and without music. No one single film has ever existed without CINEMAtography and without editing. - Alfonso Cuaron

Timecode and Russian Ark say hi

That was a disappointment, especially since it was so sure-fire. I'm still not sure what happened, but for the moment I'm enjoying If Beale Street Could Talk and Black Panther all the same.

The whole ceremony is a bloated farce. How incompetent do you need to be as a producer if you can't present 24 categories in under 3 hours? That's 8 awards per hour or just 2 every fifteen minutes!

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

So have a reserved section of seats in the front row (off to the side) for each category's nominees. Then, right before each award is presented, move all the nominees for that category to this reserved seating section so they're closer to the stage when the winner is announced. After the winner is announced, shuffle the losers back to their seats and move the next batch of nominees to the front seats in preparation for the next category. Wash, rinse, repeat.

They actually have been doing this for some tech categories, but a box seat off to the side of the stage.

They also tried one year doing some of the “lesser categories” by alternating between having all the nominees onstage and having them give their speech to a mic in the aisles lol. Which was also criicized as disrespectful at the time (Chris Rock’s joke was “Next year they’re gonna be giving out Oscars in the parking lot”)

I am curious to see the ratings. I think the multiple PR disasters might net a big audience. Everyone is expecting a train-wreck with several controversial speeches. Like Cuaron, he will win the Cinematography oscar in the commercial break but when he wins Best Director, he will fist thank them and then rip them apart.

7 hours ago, John said:

Screw it, just ditch the show entirely and mail the winners a nice little parcel with a kind letter and their statuette.

Just make it a digital Crypto-Oscar. Analog awards are out of date and take up shelf-space. These celebs don't want to live like hoarders.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, KK said:

KK was right! 

• 2 weeks later...