91st Annual Academy Awards Discussion Thread

John

I pray they don't give Rhapsody an award for anything.  Every thing I have seen from that movie has been terrible.

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Here's hoping for If Beale Street Could Talk

That one is my prediction.  

They just played Williams' Solo theme. That was fun. And Cuaron won cinematography, deservedly.

Dull ceremony so far. Looks like they're just trying to get through the night.

They just played Williams Solo theme when Emelia Clarke came out! That was neat. 

I heard Pirates of the Caribbean earlier, and Live and Let Die too. 

Yea, the film is kind of a mess. But I guess, it makes an easy choice on the voting card (music movie and all).

So Ottman finally gets his Oscar, for editing. It's funny how Singer has been entirely excised from all thank you speeches.

Yea it's weird to Bohemian Rhapsody is winning so many awards, it just wasn't a very good movie! Rami Malek was great of course but nothing else was special and yea, the editing was wonky in parts... 

I liked the orchestra playing Jurassic Park theme for Laura Dern. 

They also played Moon River at one point, I forget for who. And Beck's Ant-man theme for Paul Rudd. 

Deserved wins so far for Roma and Black Panther.

Bohemian Rhapsody is terrible all around.  Does not deserve anything, but they won't bring what's left of the band onstage and then leave them empty handed, now would they?

Green Book for best screenplay?  Roma would have been my bet for that.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

I would have given it to Beale Street, but happy for Gorannsson. Talented bloke.

Beale was the deserving choice.  I find it hard to forgive Gorannsson for helping to give us This Is America. 

1 minute ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I've seen six of the Best Picture nominees. In approximate order of preference:

1. Roma = The Favourite

3. BlacKkKlansman

4. Vice

5. A Star Is Born

6. Green Book

I'd so similar - 

The Fav

Roma

Black Klansman

Just now, SteveMc said:

Beale was the deserving choice.  I find it hard to forgive Gorannsson for helping to give us This Is America. 

Great song!! I'm glad Gorannsson was involved! 

1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

I've got a question: which movies this year are worth the time?

I am quite sure that Roma and Cold War will be satisfying artistically, BlackKklansman will be entertaining and Spiderverse is very good

Roma and The Favourite are the best of the bunch. Vice and Green Book are watchable fun, but far behind the others.

Just now, Romão said:

It's Leaving Home, from Superman

Thank you. Don't know why it took so long for that to click for me. Guess I need to revisit that sometime.

My favourite films of the year (neither of them nominated for Best Picture or, as far as I know, anything else) are Leave No Trace and You Were Never Really Here. I'd also place The Wild Pear Tree alongside them, although I'm not sure whether it was eligible for nomination at this year's Oscars.

5 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

My favourite films of the year (neither of them nominated for Best Picture or, as far as I know, anything else) are Leave No Trace and You Were Never Really Here. I'd also place The Wild Pear Tree alongside them, although I'm not sure whether it was eligible for nomination at this year's Oscars.

It hasn't been a very exciting year for film.

My favourites have been RomaThe FavouriteYou Were Never Really HereHereditary and Suspiria . The others I probably won't really remember past this year.

Lol Cuaron came prepared with a unique speech and quote for each win (he's been on stage three times tonight!). He clearly knew he was in for a clean sweep.

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

And they call themselves JW fans. Disgusting! 🤯

Just goes to the point that Superman is so underappreciated by this fandom.

I would have picked up on it instantly, had I been watching.  In my top 5 Williams tracks.