91st Annual Academy Awards Discussion Thread

John

Hmmm. It's a pleasant film, but this should have gone to Roma (or The Favourite , but it had no chance).

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

Green Book?  Really?  D'accord.

My money was on Roma.

It was going to be between that or Green Book.

Pretty lifeless ceremony. These guys def need a host.

“Coming this summer, from the Oscar winning duo who brought you Dumb and Dumber and There’s Something About Mary. ....”

Just now, W0$ said:

Thank heavens that Black Panther did not win Best Picture. It was silly to give the comic book movie even a nomination. 

Bullshit

12 minutes ago, KK said:

Worse. I doubt it'll be remembered at all 20 years from now.

Wrong. Its impact in the southern United States is historical and reverential. Its both a shame and a learning point. 

Just now, dougie said:

Movies aren't that important.

Movies are very important. They support multiple industries that employers  thousands of people. They afford people a lifestyle  and so much more.

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Movies are very important. They support multiple industries that employers  thousands of people. They afford people a lifestyle  and so much more.

When humanity abandons electricity, ditches the industrial economy, and returns to living off the land for survival, nobody will give a single toss about movies or the entertainment we seem to revere so highly today. It will all deteriorate and disappear.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Replace movies with tobacco or prostitution and you're still correct. 

5 hours ago, KK said:

Thank you. Don't know why it took so long for that to click for me. Guess I need to revisit that sometime.

If only there was a new release remastered from the 1st gen. elements coming out...

4 hours ago, W0$ said:

Thank heavens that Black Panther did not win Best Picture. It was silly to give the comic book movie even a nomination. 

I don’t think there was ever a chance of that happening but they did pile on the technical awards to make it look like they were down with the kids. 

I used to be a huge fan of the TV series 24. So I couldn't help but notice that two actors who won Oscars this year had major roles on that show. Regina King played President Wayne Palmer's sister in Season 6, and Rami Malek played a terrorist who accidentally blew himself up in Season 8!

8 hours ago, dougie said:

When humanity abandons electricity, ditches the industrial economy, and returns to living off the land for survival, nobody will give a single toss about movies or the entertainment we seem to revere so highly today. It will all deteriorate and disappear.

Movies will disappear but not the tradition of storytelling.

VNybHPGH6Y3Rfo8n8eFhze9N.jpeg

It's as old as man itself and will always be deemed important.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I don’t think there was ever a chance of that happening but they did pile on the technical awards to make it look like they were down with the kids. 

That was the attitude when Star Wars was nominated.  Its a severely backwards way of thinking. It has prevented many great films from winning. I am sure that was the attitude when Beauty and the Beast was nominated.