91st Annual Academy Awards Discussion Thread

John

6 minutes ago, dougie said:

Wrong. It was a fine film and deserved its award.

Nah. 40 years later and Star Wars is still widely considered one of the best and most popular films of all time.

How did Annie Hall change the way movies are made? Is it even remembered much anymore?

6 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I don’t think there was ever a chance of that happening but they did pile on the technical awards to make it look like they were down with the kids. 

It very much had a chance of happening. Many "experts" were predicting it. The new voting system has made Best Picture extremely unpredictable. That is why we have had so many shock wins recent years. This is the 3rd year in a row that the widely predicted front-runner did not win. So Black Panther was very much a possibility.

(The new system is an instant run-off system where movies get eliminated until only 2 remain and 1 has the majority)

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Best Picture for Annie Hall was a travesty

59 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Against Star Wars? Disgusting. This film didn't do one thing better

56 minutes ago, John said:

Nah. 40 years later and Star Wars is still widely considered one of the best and most popular films of all time.

How did Annie Hall change the way movies are made? Is it even remembered much anymore?

52 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

both are fruits---in this case: films!

I ask again, what does Annie Hall have on Star Wars?

27 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Forgetting Woody Allen's personal life, only one of the ~10 Woodsy Allen movies I've seen has been better than mediocre, and it wasn't Annie Hall!

Annie Hall is a masterpiece - a monumental achievement and one of the greatest films ever made. I would say this about it - how many space opera films do you see? Some right? How many dramedies do you see about relationships? Several right? They all owe to Annie Hall. That is how influential it is. 

I could go on and on but Annie Hall is a most extraordinary film and richly deserved all its awards.

5 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

We have had an entire Golden Age worth of romances, dramas and comedies featuring superior writing, acting and scores already. 

Annie Hall one-upped them by including innovative use of fourth-wall-breaking, animation, special effects and other narrative devices to tell funny, romantic tale.

1 hour ago, John said:

I'm in two minds on the issue. I love it when popular genre films manage to win the big categories (picture, director, screenplay, etc) which curiously seemed to have happened a lot in the mid-90s to early 2000s, with Braveheart, Titanic, Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings - some would even put Unforgiven into that category. To my mind, that's a much more unique choice (given the Academy's biases) than something like The Favourite or Annie Hall.

On the other, I don't think that its necessarily a question of a film being influential that merits awards. I think its important to distinguish between liking a film (on its own merit) and appreciating a film (on the merit of its contribution to the industry). I personally find the first criteria much more meaningful, and think it is the one which should be on people's mind when they choose which film to award.

On yet another side, I like popular genre films winning Best Picture if and when they have a strong and substantive dramatic core. Its one of the reasons I don't feel particularly passionatly about the original Star Wars in this very particular regard: its just a fun (and, of course, stupendously well-made) action-adventure film. There's nothing too serious going on there, in terms of actual drama. But its not that I'm the biggest fan of Annie Hall, either, so again, two minds.

9 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

We have had an entire Golden Age worth of romances, dramas and comedies featuring superior writing, acting and scores already. Star Wars was fresh in what it did and has been matched only once: by the same team, with ESB.

I never dissed Star Wars. It is a great film. They are both great films. I was responding to the people throwing Annie Hall under a bus.

BOTH films are great. And both would make worthy winners. Annie Hall is a great winner. Star Wars would have been too.

18 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Annie Hall is a masterpiece - a monumental achievement and one of the greatest films ever made. I would say this about it - how many space opera films do you see? Some right? How many dramedies do you see about relationships? Several right? They all owe to Annie Hall. That is how influential it is. 

I could go on and on but Annie Hall is a most extraordinary film and richly deserved all its awards.

For a while I believed I was in cloud cuckoo land because I thought you were talking about:

Annie-531341.jpg

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Lucas made Star Wars as a children's film, Joe. You consider it Oscar worthy? Hmmmm...

Most Worthy

I would be completely unable to count the number of Best Picture winners, let alone nominees, that were "not for me."

Genre and target audience have nothing to do with whether a movie is good.

• 1 month later...
  1. The play-ons and play-offs for presenters are not played live by the orchestra.

“In the past they had five cues for the nominees. When the winner is announced, the conductor would go ‘Number five!’ and give the downbeat. Now, we go into Capitol studios, pre-record and mix those, and that’s left to a playback person. ‘Black Panther’ is announced, they push that button.”

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/rickey-minor-oscars-secrets-1203185606/

Now I want the pre-recorded score excerpts to leak.