If the "John Williams - The Star Wars Prequels Soundtrack Collection" was released, would you prefer it over the Harry Potter box set?

Josh500

If the "John Williams - The Star Wars Prequels Soundtrack Collection" was released, would you prefer it over the HP boxset?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you treasure more?

• John Williams - The Harry Potter Soundtrack Collection
    • John Williams - The Star Wars prequels Soundtrack Collection

Potter, I think. Phantom Menace would be the only one getting regular listens from the Prequels, I'd probably treasure an MM OT and an MM Indy Trilogy over both of these.

Did the sheet music ever leak for the prequels? Do we even know how many alternates might have been recorded, or do we just have the cue list as a guide?

Phantom Menace has a lot of "as written" mockups floating around from sheets I guess, some of which I'd kill to have if recorded.

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Why can’t we have BOTH

Who says we can't? 

I'm sure we will eventually! 

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Did the sheet music ever leak for the prequels? Do we even know how many alternates might have been recorded, or do we just have the cue list as a guide?

I don't need every alternate recorded. Which alternates are selected and included or not is up to JW (and MM)! I gladly let them decide.

I just want every note actually used in the films, unedited and unlooped and untampered with, in perfect remastered sound quality! 👌 

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

Potter, I think. Phantom Menace would be the only one getting regular listens from the Prequels...

I think many of us would "rediscover" AotC and RotS once this is released! I know I will! 

And I think for this project it would be a 9-CD box set! 

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

HP is the only one for which I'd buy a collection.

For Indy I only really need a proper Crusade and SW I only want RotS.

So if box sets with the complete Indiana Jones and the complete Star Wars prequels came out, you wouldn't buy them. Oooo-kay!

Really close, but I guess the prequels. Potter suffers a bit from the fact that COS is very similar to PS, although I do love the new material.

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

For the first three years it was! :D

Four years

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Did the sheet music ever leak for the prequels?

Of course

Do we even know how many alternates might have been recorded, or do we just have the cue list as a guide?

We know

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, we know which alternates were recorded.  I even quoted the question I was replying to, so I'm not sure how you got confused.

I'm not confused. I asked you a different question. 

If you don't want (or can't) answer, fine!

So... which alternates were recorded and how do "we" know? I mean the "true" and unreleased alternates, not the ones found in all kinds of material like the alternate takes of Tide Turns and Flag Parade - the good stuff, like the original Droid Battle or the extended Great Duel. I've heard mockups of these, but I know for example the earlier variant of the Naboo Fighter motif in the battle was recorded in both of the cues it appears in.

Fuck no. Garbage films and Aotc and Rots are not among john's best scores Aotc is just a bad film and as close to a bad score as john can get.

TPM is JW channeling JG in making great music for a not so great (but still the best of the prequels) film.

29 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So if box sets with the complete Indiana Jones and the complete Star Wars prequels came out, you wouldn't buy them. Oooo-kay!

For me I’ve never been as hyperaware of the unreleased stuff in Indy/SW so I was always satisfied with the OSTs. I didn’t have to think twice about blowing $100 on HP since those were my jam growing up and I already knew what was missing, had my personal grails etc. I’m not nearly as familiar with the specifics of the others and I never had “the one that got away” or anything like that so it’d be a less impulsive purchase.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

For me I’ve never been as hyperaware of the unreleased stuff in Indy/SW so I was always satisfied with the OSTs. I didn’t have to think twice about blowing $100 on HP since those were my jam growing up and I already knew what was missing, had my personal grails etc. I’m not nearly as familiar with the specifics of the others and I never had “the one that got away” or anything like that so it’d be a less impulsive purchase.

Hmm, I grew up with the Star Wars prequels as well as the first HP movies! That was probably the time I was most impressionable, regarding JW and film scores in general.

So yeah, this would be an instant buy for me!

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

So... which alternates were recorded and how do "we" know? I mean the "true" and unreleased alternates, not the ones found in all kinds of material like the alternate takes of Tide Turns and Flag Parade - the good stuff, like the original Droid Battle or the extended Great Duel. I've heard mockups of these, but I know for example the earlier variant of the Naboo Fighter motif in the battle was recorded in both of the cues it appears in.

Because the recording logs leaked with the sheets

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Because the recording logs leaked with the sheets

Interesting, didn't know that. So it lists every cue, insert and revision for all 3 prequels? 

Pretty much.  There are really no mysteries with these scores, any future expanded editions won't really have any surprises to them.

In at 50-50 toss up. Chose Prequels. Essential expansion in the future. Instant buy for me.

Just now, Jay said:

There are really no mysteries with these scores, any future expanded editions won't really have any surprises to them.

Yeah, but there will sure be a heck of a lot of unreleased music in MM condition!!!!

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Hmm, I grew up with the Star Wars prequels as well as the first HP movies! That was probably the time I was most impressionable, regarding JW and film scores in general.

So yeah, this would be an instant buy for me!

I grew up during the prequel releases too but I just barely watched them after theaters. We even had them all on DVD but somehow I was obsessed with the “making of” docs and rarely put in Disc 1 :lol: and I thought I liked them! I really had no awareness people hated those movies but I guess it made sense later when I realized I just naturally never rewatched them.

But anyway I always found the music I was looking for on the soundtrack whereas Potter had disappointments from the beginning, and I loved rewatching the movies so I found more music to miss.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Pretty much.  There are really no mysteries with these scores, any future expanded editions won't really have any surprises to them.

Well, for those who have the sheets. Curiously, the main page only has a speculative cue list for TPM (haven't checked the other two) and even you don't have a spreadsheet for TPM and RotS listed so far.

Hmm, actually a bit hard to decide as a whole

(My ranking of the scores themselves)

Harry Potter and the SS > Star Wars 1

Star Wars 2 >  Harry Potter and the CoS

Star Wars 3 > Harry Potter and the PoS

Overall, I'd say Harry Potter wins because we've already heard the majority of the prequel unreleased music.

Just now, rough cut said:

Do you mean 

Harry Potter and the SS > Star Wars 1 >

Star Wars 2 >  Harry Potter and the CoS >

Oh no, I was just ranking them against each other

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well, for those who have the sheets. Curiously, the main page only has a speculative cue list for TPM (haven't checked the other two) and even you don't have a spreadsheet for TPM and RotS listed so far.

Yes it would definitely be nice to read a recording log for the prequel scores! Surprised it's not all over the internet like most cue lists. 

I think I would enjoy the HP collection more. Aside from TPM, which is sublime, the prequel scores are quite choppy with AOTC featuring a lot of uninteresting underscore and ROTS having a somewhat rushed quality and too much tracking of old music. The HP scores have more flow and thus I appreciate their complete releases more.

52 minutes ago, rough cut said:

WTH. You too!?  

I understand you prefer RotS, but no need to be vulgar about it! 😂

9 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Aside from TPM, which is sublime, the prequel scores are quite choppy with AOTC featuring a lot of uninteresting underscore and ROTS having a somewhat rushed quality and too much tracking of old music. 

I honestly believe AotC is the most underrated JW score ever! It's probably even more underrated than CoS!

Some of the AotC action setpieces top even those from TPM! 

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Oh no, I was just ranking them against each other

But then, what do you consider to be the superior trilogy? Or how’d you rank them all in one continuous expression?

Because, out of the three, you seem to favor SW over HP, when they compare chronologically.

But comparing each expression to the other, there’s no way of telling how they rank compared to each other.

Because if it, for example, were that:

Harry Potter and the SS > Star Wars 1

Star Wars 2 > Harry Potter and the CoS

Star Wars 3 > Harry Potter and the PoA

...then that could mean that:

Harry Potter and the SS > Star Wars 2 > Star Wars 3 > Harry Potter and the PoA > Harry Potter and the CoS > Star Wars 1

...or basically any other way you’d insert one into the other, as long as you don’t break the logic between each original expressions.

Just curious. 

22 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

I would prefer Harry Potter. 

I love all three Harry Potter scores but when it comes to the prequle I only love ROTS, I like TPM and I think AOTC is Okey but the weakest Star Wars score. 

I love all 6 scores, duh.

The reason I'd slightly prefer the Star Wars prequels, though, is that (a) everything was written and conducted by JW, (b) everything was performed by the LSO, and (c) hell, it's Star Wars! The coolest and most awesome film music in history! 

But Harry Potter is a very close second! Actually they're both number one, but if I had to choose, I'd choose the SW prequels.

10 minutes ago, rough cut said:

But then, what do you consider to be the superior trilogy? Or how’d you rank them all in one continuous expression?

Because, out of the three, you seem to favor SW over HP, when they compare chronologically.

But comparing each expression to the other, there’s no way of telling how they rank compared to each other.

Because if it, for example, were that:

Harry Potter and the SS > Star Wars 1

Star Wars 2 > Harry Potter and the CoS

Star Wars 3 > Harry Potter and the PoA

...then that could mean that:

Harry Potter and the SS > Star Wars 2 > Star Wars 3 > Harry Potter and the PoA > Harry Potter and the CoS > Star Wars 1

...or basically any other way you’d insert one into the other, as long as you don’t break the logic between each original expressions.

Just curious. 

PoA>TPM>AOTC>ROTS>SS>CoS

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, minor flaw in my plan. I just have to hope they come out separately.

I could probably stretch to buying an Indy box if I had to, but there's no way I'm buying a box that contains the complete score to Attack of the Clones.... It'd bore me to sleep :|

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yes, years ago. A bunch of mock-ups were posted on the restored music thread.

12 hours ago, Josh500 said:

And I think for this project it would be a 9-CD box set! 

All of the music would easily fit in a 6-CD boxset actually, including alternates, etc. By my calculations, ROTJ is the only original saga film that would require a third disc.