'John Williams: Music For Films, Television and the Concert Stage' (book by Emilio Audissino)

D_nev

Hello everyone.

I’m cutterntly reading JOHN WILLIAMS: Music For Films, Television and the Concert Stage and was wondering if anyone on here has read it/is reading it?

If so, what are your thoughts on the book? 

Here’s a link for reference: https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/john-williams-emilio-audissino/1128561853?ean=9782503580340&st=PLA&sid=BNB_New+Core+Shopping+Books&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyvDEnPnP3wIVBY1pCh09QwhrEAQYASABEgJwavD_BwE

I really enjoyed the book. Some of the articles are a bit technical for me, but overall a wonderful enlightening read, even for the more knowledgeable Williams admirer.

I greatly encourage anyone seriously interested in Williams music to try to read this one.

Yeah that is a tad too much even for a John Williams related monograph. I would love to read it though.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I've just clicked the link. $138????!!!! No book is worth that; I don't care what the subject matter is.

It's an academic text, not a coffee-table book for general public consumption. It's common for academic texts to be that price, because of the smaller market, and it's also the hardback edition. But I can understand the concern. I suppose if it wasn't an academic text it would be filled with simple-level stuff we already know or can get online for free.

I'm going to wait and see if a cheaper softcover edition comes out. 

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I really enjoyed the book. Some of the articles are a bit technical for me, but overall a wonderful enlightening read, even for the more knowledgeable Williams admirer.

I greatly encourage anyone seriously interested in Williams music to try to read this one.

Excellent analysis, I am finding it enlightening and very educational as well! I’m glad to see other people are enjoying it too. 

I quite enjoy the analysis sections where they break down some of his scores and look at how he develops a theme. It’s so fascinating to me how he does that and it’s nice to see such a concise analysis of that phenomenon. 

8 hours ago, Richard said:

I've just clicked the link. $138????!!!! No book is worth that; I don't care what the subject matter is.

6 hours ago, That_Bloke said:

It's an academic text, not a coffee-table book for general public consumption. It's common for academic texts to be that price, because of the smaller market . . .

It is unfortunate about the price, I agree. @That_Bloke makes a good point though, it’s geared more towards a more acedemic approach, though I’d still consider it accessible to everyone who is interested in learning more about Willaims’s work, even if some of the more theoretical articles are a bit harder to understand! 

I am a music student though so I figured it was a well enough purchase to make, considering. 

It is is a great read though, so I definitely consider waiting until a soft cover is released or finding a cheap used one. 

Hell, I’d even be willing to let you borrow my copy if you’re really interested! 

12 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Wasn't there a eBook release of this? For some reason I think someone mentioned it... might be confusing with something else though.

I haven’t been able to find one, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t one! 

Thanks for posting about this. I read the editor's earlier book on Williams which I really liked (and is available on Kindle which I also really liked!). I have just ordered this book and look forward to diving in.

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

f932d1fbf732e547402b8477eb735113.png

Gotta love auto correct 😂 that’s too funny 😂

54 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Thanks for posting about this. I read the editor's earlier book on Williams which I really liked (and is available on Kindle which I also really liked!). I have just ordered this book and look forward to diving in.

You’re certainly welcome!

When you get it and read through it, please respond to this thread again and share your thoughts/favorite sections about/in the book! I’d love to chat further about it! 

Interesting. Anybody else thinks the contrast between the cover photo and cover text could have been better? 

9 hours ago, Richard said:

I'd think there's easier ways to get rich.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. Anybody else thinks the contrast between the cover photo and cover text could have been better? 

In what way? 

I don’t notice a problem

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I would use a color for the text that stood more out from the background, but that's just nitpicking.

Now that you say that, I notice it. It’s not too bad, but you’re right, it could’ve been better! 

The font is fine!

On 1/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, Incanus said:

Yeah that is a tad too much even for a John Williams related monograph. I would love to read it though.

Then you should try the library of your local university.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else read it or this one?

https://www.amazon.com/John-Williamss-Film-Music-Classical/dp/0299297349/

Could anyone tell me how deeply he gets into the concert music, and what pieces he selected? Thanks!