"Celebrating John Williams" concert (Gustavo Dudamel/LA Phil, Disney Concert Hall, January 24-27, 2019) - 2CD set available on March 15

TownerFan

6 minutes ago, karelm said:

He really let it breathe at the end of Jurassic Park I thought.  It was very weighty and really hit the breaks in a climactic way.

Agreed, but some of the phrases earlier could have a bit more air between them.

On 15/03/2019 at 1:13 AM, lairdo said:

HDTracks.com - no link yet, but it's in their email blast with a discount code for March 15 and recent releases. Presumably this will be live shortly or in the morning.

Strangely, I still cannot find this on HDTracks. I've posted to their FB group to see if they can shed light on why. It's in their email blast from yesterday with new releases. 

image.png

On 15/03/2019 at 12:35 PM, bollemanneke said:

I loved the flighty rendition of Harry's Wondrous World. Pre-ordered the CD, for some reason the UK is only getting it on March 29.

The CD set is March 29 worldwide. They dropped the digital versions today, so the release is split. I think the CDs were planned for today too, but I guess something happened to delay that 2 weeks. I'm glad they kept the digital date. 

My favorite track so far is the Jaws Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue as the instruments really seem to pop out of the recording. That being said, I'm taking it slow and haven't even listened to Indiana Jones stuff yet!

On 15/03/2019 at 1:13 AM, lairdo said:

Hi Res

ProStudio Masters: https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/31214

Presto Records (euros and also sells to US purchasers): https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8607317--celebrating-john-williams

Note, Presto says they are releasing with the digital booklet. ProStudio does not seem to include that.

Well, a got a nice surprise. I just received an email (below) from ProStudio Masters apologizing that my order did not include the Digital Booklet. They emailed me the PDF directly, and I see their website now shows it included. Not sure if they saw this thread or just caught their own error. I've updated my original post. 

"Hi Laird,

It has come to our attention that a recently placed order did not include a digital booklet for "Celebrating John Williams". To rectify this, we are sending it directly as an attachment to this message.

Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Best regards,"

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The sound is great, but aren't the trumpets making mistakes in ET, in the triads? They keep playing a major chord while it should be minor.

Didn't notice that, but I noticed a potential French horn wrong note at 1:01?

EDIT: Never mind, just found out it's that way in a lot of re-recordings. Could be a misprint or just a different edition than the version JW recorded with the Pops.

4 hours ago, Locrius said:

Didn't notice that, but I noticed a potential French horn wrong note at 1:01?

EDIT: Never mind, just found out it's that way in a lot of re-recordings. Could be a misprint or just a different edition than the version JW recorded with the Pops.

A lot of the suites have evolved.  Close Encounters was way different with the pops recording than the Hal Leonard "signature".  He tinkers with these quite a bit and they change frequently.  Often in ways we don't even notice. 

I was at this concert and absolutely loved it!  It's so great to revisit it.  Yes, my home sonics are no match for Disney Hall but hearing this certainly brings me back with all the wonderful memories including seeing The Maestro hear his music in concert.

Damn, that ending of Jaws!  😲

I knew Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra had been revised since last recorded, but that ending was a complete surprise!

Got my tickets to tomorrow's Seoul concert. Curious to see if it's the exact same program. It probably will be, but I'd love to hear Adventures of Han and The Rebellion Reborn And Han Solo and the Princess.... and about 100 others. And Sunday is St Patrick's Day, so a little Far and Away wouldn't hurt.

7 hours ago, lairdo said:

My favorite track so far is the Jaws Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue as the instruments really seem to pop out of the recording. That being said, I'm taking it slow and haven't even listened to Indiana Jones stuff yet!

Wow, you're right about "Out to Sea" -- the performance and recording are off-the-charts stunning. 

8 hours ago, lairdo said:

Strangely, I still cannot find this on HDTracks. I've posted to their FB group to see if they can shed light on why. It's in their email blast from yesterday with new releases. 

HDTracks is showing the album now, including the PDF booklet. http://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/764864/s/celebrating-john-williams-live-at-walt-disney-concert-hall-los-angeles-2019/category/154/

I've updated my original post too.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I’m not sure about this new Scherzo.

Yeah, I need to process this cue a bit. It's not just minimally different - which is fine. It's just sort of a surprise as my brain expects certain notes and then those don't follow.

Marion's Theme however is really lush and enjoyable. I suspect a number of the players from the LA Phil were at the Royce Hall sessions with Williams and Spielberg.

Good to know that the revised Scherzo is included this time! 

I hope the full concert is issued on video this year. 

15 hours ago, TownerFan said:

These are superb performances. I love how Dudamel conducts the music of Williams, with reverence and sincere joy. He seems to understand what makes JW music great, he's able to bring out so many great colours even from the most worn-out pieces like the Imperial March.

Imho, this will be a reference recording for many years.

Completely agree. This cd contains some of my favorite performances ever of several pieces

The recording is... strange.  I find that the reverb of the concert hall eliminates some of the finer details in the performances.  There are some instruments that are just drowned out in the sound.  The balance is a bit off, especially with the snare. In The Raiders March, for instance, it sounds like the snare is tightly recorded while the rest of the orchestra has a more distant sound to it.  And maybe it's my love for those early Kunzel/Telarc recordings (or Gerhardt's Classic Film Series) that I hold as the benchmark for re-recorded compilation albums, which is the reason why this one really isn't doing it for me. Ironically, this album is a lot like the newer Kunzel recordings; a bit muddy, lacking detail and reverb-heavy.  I also feel this needed way more stereo separation in the mastering.

Also, the newly arranged Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra is not very good.  Not sure why Williams felt the need to fart around with his already wonderfully arranged suite, which he recorded with the Boston Pops.  The new finale, with yet ANOTHER false ending, just doesn't work.

Not a fan of the Adagio from The Force Awakens.  It's rather aimless, anonymous and unmemorable.

There some good energy from the orchestra and lively conducting, which is something we have come to expect with Dudamel.  A very passionate guy who sincerely loves Williams music. 

So this one is hit and miss for me.  I very much prefer the more interesting Lockhart/Boston Pops album and will stick with some of my older re-recorded favorites of Williams' works.

-Erik-

🎧 - Star Tracks - Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops.  Aaaaaah, much better! 😜

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

I’m not sure about this new Scherzo.

I love it!

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

Why things always have to change?

It's called life, Bes.

4 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

Ironically, this album is a lot like the newer Kunzel recordings; a bit muddy, lacking detail and reverb-heavy.  I also feel this needed way more stereo separation in the mastering.

Would you label the Kunzel Spielberg album as one of his newer recordings? I've always found that to have an opaque orchestral sound.

I don't dislike this "Deutsch and Grammophon" reverb. 😁

Well, a thing is sure, with this album, Dudamel adds his name the list of VERY FEW good interprets of John Williams' music.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Would you label the Kunzel Spielberg album as one of his newer recordings? I've always found that to have an opaque orchestral sound.

Well, that's a combo of many different recordings... some new at the time and some gathered from other Kunzel albums.  But the newer recordings are good, not a good as Kunzel's 80s recordings and not worse than say Vintage Cinema, which sounds dreadful!

-Erik-

5 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Yes, this is the Signature Edition.

Awesome, thanks. I guess I have to get it now. This version is really nice, I’m hearing so many lines that are sometimes buried.

It actually happens on many tracks on this release. On Raiders march, I heard a little snare drum roll that I never heard before, it was awesome. Seems like the brass are somewhat distant, definitely not as “in your face” as the LSO versions, but overall I’m liking the clarity. It’s nice to hear details in percussions and harp that are missed on many other recordings. And I’m a trumpet player...but I can appreciate hearing as many of the notes JW wrote.

And there’s no doubt about the sincerity of Dudamel and the orchestra in performing those pieces.

I definitely heard that “strange” note in the horn in ET, but I haven’t checked with the score yet. My gut feeling tells me it’s wrong and they left it by mistake. But maybe it’s a revision.

Overall I’m really liking this release a lot.

LA Phil killed it in Seoul. I’ve heard nearly all the pieces on the program with JW and the Boston Pops within the last six years or so, and Dudamel and the LA Phil gave by far the better renditions. Sounded great too, especially considering they were playing amplified in a gymnastics arena.

2 minutes ago, pete said:

They were selling the CDs at the stadium. God it’s been a long time since I bought a CD offline.. Loved the concert! Appreciate The Force Awakens Adagio more having seen it performed. Will write more in a couple of days. 

E22F86C2-1ECB-46BF-8AF5-BCFE9AF0466D.jpeg

Agreed on the Adagio! Thought there was much more shape to this performance, and I definitely prefer Dudamel’s interpretation to the OST.

Oh wow, Throne Room really does sound splendid.

Adagio from TFA is nice. I’m glad we have a good recording of it.

So is Scherzo for Motorcycle. I like the new ending, II don’t understand what the fuss is about.

Out to Sea is a joy to listen to as well. Pure brilliance.

Really wish he'd squeezed in Window to the Past and Han Solo and the Princess into this, but you can't have everything.

That new Hook arrangement would've been great too.

11 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

Awesome, thanks. I guess I have to get it now. This version is really nice, I’m hearing so many lines that are sometimes buried.

It actually happens on many tracks on this release. On Raiders march, I heard a little snare drum roll that I never heard before, it was awesome. Seems like the brass are somewhat distant, definitely not as “in your face” as the LSO versions, but overall I’m liking the clarity. It’s nice to hear details in percussions and harp that are missed on many other recordings.

It’s interesting to note that Dudamel used the “Vienna Philharmonic layout” for the orchestra in this recording. Perhaps this also had a role in giving instruments a different balance.

35 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It’s interesting to note that Dudamel used the “Vienna Philharmonic layout” for the orchestra in this recording. Perhaps this also had a role in giving instruments a different balance.

This would definitely create a different blend for sure.

1 hour ago, pete said:

And yes, the Jurassic Park intro was the same as the CD with the second phrase of that opening melody quieter and sounding different. Not sure what he did differently, but the horn player was on screen and I think he was the only one playing. I thought that an odd change. I also would have preferred the main hymn start just with the strings. Horns playing it from the start didn't sound right to me. Small things. As I said earlier, I enjoyed the Adagio more than the few times I had previously listened to it. It was really quite heart-wrenching.  

That's Andrew Bain on horn - a fantastic player (and a fellow Ozzie) and first horn on the sequel trilogy.  The first time the phrase is open and the second time the phrase is stopped (his hand is pushed further into the bell) stopping the overtones and you get a more nasily sound.  Agree, the strings are exquisite in the Adagio and is a very beautiful piece just hearing it without the movie.  Such gorgeous suspensions. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, Ricard said:

So apparently the full concert was recorded on video:

Whoops - the editor of that video added in a extra quaver to the final bar (immediately before the final triplet), which is why it sounds out of kilter. Happily it's correct on the streaming/download version of the album.

So great to finally have a recording of "The Flight to Neverland" where those 2 trumpet eighth-notes at 1:10 are clearly audible! In all the other recordings, it's sort of muddled and tough to hear what exactly is going on.