"Celebrating John Williams" concert (Gustavo Dudamel/LA Phil, Disney Concert Hall, January 24-27, 2019) - 2CD set available on March 15

TownerFan

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was only released digitally as its own album.  Physically, it's only in the "Ultimate" box set.

Oh, right. I'd forgotten I bought the box set to get it. :mellow:

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was only released digitally as its own album.  Physically, it's only in the "Ultimate" box set.

It's also in the JW conductor box.

34 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Hopefully this explains my snappy answer above and, again, I am sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

No need to apologier about ”snappy” replies. There’ve been much worse on the forum - I interpreted your reply as difference of opinion. ; )

On 3/23/2019 at 7:34 PM, rough cut said:

For an amp, I got the Denon AVR-X4400H.

For speakers, I got the Q Acoustics 3020i and the 3090Ci.

As for the sub, I got the Elac 2030.

I can highly recommend all of the above, the sound is massive. Great depth, fantastic details and lots of fast responding, deep bass when you need it.

What are you currently playing your music on?

5AB7D525-3F10-42E3-8645-07A2E878F2E9.png

2B0E0314-370D-4C5A-9A2F-E691D5DD2BB3.jpeg

38D79FDE-4E03-408E-9FFE-E4C68BA9FFC2.png

43DE2C27-A795-41D0-93A8-7BED85A6C283.png

Nice. I have an old DENON AVR 3311 . Planning to upgrade to a similar one the X4500. Since Ive bought my 4K UHD TV. Need to get a high end 4KBlu ray player as well.

Thanks!

Yeah, I am super happy with the set up. What I love is that, in today’s day and age, people have forgotten what music sounds like, and to remind my friends and visitera of that... How much depth there actually is.

Today, Spotify and portable Bluetooth speakers rule the world - but playing music on a system like this is quite the different experience.

I have loved the reaction from each of my friends that I’ve had come over, when we sit down and actually listen to music.

They’ve all had their minds blown.

On 3/23/2019 at 3:34 PM, rough cut said:

For an amp, I got the Denon AVR-X4400H.

For speakers, I got the Q Acoustics 3020i and the 3090Ci.

As for the sub, I got the Elac 2030.

I can highly recommend all of the above, the sound is massive. Great depth, fantastic details and lots of fast responding, deep bass when you need it.

What are you currently playing your music on?

When I don't want to bother anyone : Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b. (Best headphone ever, I had the first version MSR7 and even better with this one MSR7b)

ath_msr7b_gm_hir_1_sq.jpg

When I don't care : Onkyo TX-NR545, Focal Sib & Cub3

Onkyo-TX-NR545-Noir_P_600.jpg

focal-pack-sib-et-cub-3-noir_34148_uMxgc

On 5/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

It's also in the JW conductor box.

I bought a CD copy in Japan that only contained the vol. 3 disc, without the first two. I'd link to it but I'm having trouble finding it online right now.

7 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I bought a CD copy in Japan that only contained the vol. 3 disc, without the first two. I'd link to it but I'm having trouble finding it online right now.

I'm guessing it didn't contain English liner mores.

The CD booklet is all in English, but it contains a separate insert with the same contents in Japanese. The whole thing is in a jewel case, containing the CD and the DVD. It should have been released everywhere!

this c.d. set is sort of useless .It's all pieces we got tons of re-recordings of. The performances are ok but not really distinctive and better ones can be found elsewhere. Sound is ok but not the best.CE3K and E.T. are the inferior concert versions compared to the original recordings .the short version of Olympic Fanfare sucks

The only thing is the Adagio I guess

and what a wasted opportunity to record Han Solo and the Princess

Yes, I kinda agree to all of the above, but somehow still don’t feel it’s useless.

Maybe it’s the new arrangements. Maybe it’s that awesome recording of Jaws. I dunno, but I like it.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

CE3K and E.T. are the inferior concert versions compared to the original recordings

Did you expect them to perform the OST arrangements? 

16 hours ago, Ricard said:

Did you expect them to perform the OST arrangements? 

No, I'm just saying I never listen to the concert arrangements of these pieces, on any of the c.d.'s that have them. And we have them yet again to fill up precious c,.d. space 

If we ever get a recording of the new Han Solo and the Princess, I hope the tempo isn't as fast as two of the three performances I've seen, which, especially in its last two minutes is detrimental to the poignancy of the piece. 

I think this will be a constant “flaw” that we will have to live with in the track list selection of all future compilations.

It’s nothing new - it’s just that it gets more apparent for seasoned fans like ourselves because we’ve already bought so many of these kind of CDs through the years.

I really need to start a topic regarding the wish list for Lights, Camera... Music Vol. 2.

Now that would be a disc that didn’t waste space on “unnecessary” re-recordings!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

If we ever get a recording of the new Han Solo and the Princess, I hope the tempo isn't as fast as two of the three performances I've seen, which, especially in its last two minutes is detrimental to the poignancy of the piece. 

I think the Williams conducted ones I heard are the best ones so far, but when Williams conducts in concerts it sounds different than his official recordings  (like Rebellion is Reborn and Adventures of Han sound nothing like the OST)

The first performance by that Glasgow Orchestra sounded a bit incoherent and the Dirk Brosse LSO performance was WAY too slow and lasted 2 minutes longer

The only way we'd hear the real intended version is if Williams himself made a studio recording

As much as I like Lights,Camera,Music, the performances aren't quite at the level of Williams conducted ones

• 1 month later...

Always fun to read about Williams!

But it incorrectly states that Marion’s Theme was on Keith Lockhart’s Lights, Camera… Music! while it was on Williams’ own Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III.

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

But it incorrectly states that Marion’s Theme was on Keith Lockhart’s Lights, Camera… Music! while it was on Williams’ own Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III.

You're right of course. Goes to show that no amount of proof reading will prevent the most obvious mistakes. Hope Thor and/or Co can correct it.

A really fun read nonetheless!

It’s a tough thing reviewing these re-recorded ”greatest hits” in that they are a bit of a paradoxical listen for us JWfans...

49 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You're right of course. Goes to show that no amount of proof reading will prevent the most obvious mistakes. Hope Thor and/or Co can correct it.

Done! Completely slipped by me too.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I revisited this album following my personal disappointment with the performance of the orchestra (and the sound) on the Vienna album.  I still have some issues with the mix of this album but they seem relatively minor to me now, especially when the orchestra positively *lives and breathes* this material.  This Williams program was one that Dudamel and the LA Phil performed many times, even taking it on tour, and it really shows when compared to the seemingly hastily rehearsed Vienna program. 

There is an unedited concert of Dudamel and LA Phil on youtube with the same programm. You hear more mistakes than in Vienna though.. Shows you how much the official release was fixed...

Here is another concert with Dudamel. So if you think this "Out to sea" is better than VPO... lol. It sounds rushed and is full of flubs. Listen from 12:36 @bollemanneke @Jurassic Shark

This version is a bit better but still worse than VPO:

You see: Only a "repaired" Dudamel can walk on water ;)

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't have much problem with flubs. It's severe timing issues that gets to me.

If you don't hear the timing issues in the Edinburgh performance, you haven't heard anything in the VPO version.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

You see: Only a "repaired" Dudamel can walk on water ;)

They should have repaired JW's Vienna performance as well. After all, they did two concerts and a pick-up session.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Listen from 12:36 @bollemanneke @Jurassic Shark

Frankly, I find the uneven flute playing in the Vienna recording more disturbing. Listen from 0:48:

Oh, and the orchestra really isn't together from 0:36.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Not leaden and sluggish like on the Vienna album.

I guess the DG engineers just forgot to speed up the performance.

I give it up. You simply want to dislike it. :wave:

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, and the orchestra really isn't together from 0:36

It's very much together. And the flutist is playing well and in time. 

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Give up what?  I mean no disrespect, just saying what tickles my ears and what doesn't!  If I'm posting in anything other than the spirit of friendliness I'm not usually subtle about it :lol:

40 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Give up what?  I mean no disrespect, just saying what tickles my ears and what doesn't!  If I'm posting in anything other than the spirit of friendliness I'm not usually subtle about it :lol:

Sorry, I was talking to Jurassic Shark :D

2 hours ago, Steve said:

It's very much together. And the flutist is playing well and in time. 

No, it is not. Stop being so stubborn, the VPO in Jaws is not together on many moments. And the flutist fucks up. That has nothing to do with opinions.

Is the orchestra still of world class? Yes. Is it understandable that it happened given the amount of rehearsal time? Yes, probably. Should it be published on a Deutsche Gramophon CD? Maybe not.

9 hours ago, Remco said:

No, it is not. Stop being so stubborn, the VPO in Jaws is not together on many moments. And the flutist fucks up. That has nothing to do with opinions.

Is the orchestra still of world class? Yes. Is it understandable that it happened given the amount of rehearsal time? Yes, probably. Should it be published on a Deutsche Gramophon CD? Maybe not.

We are talking 0:49 to 0:59 here? The flute playing is a bit erratic, not perfectly clean and I think some notes are missing, timing is ok though. Please point out which specific points you think are not together. From 1:59 till the end everthing is perfectly together.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sorry, but if you really think so I can't take your comments serious anymore (if I ever did). Point out ANYTHING that is not together in the Shark Cage Fugue.

Here is a good example for something that is NOT together: 5:32 starting

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why can't you listen to the obvious example I provided early in the track?

Yes, 3 seconds at 0:36 are not together. And thereafter?