In your opinion, is Avatar a GREAT score?

Jurassic Shark

In your opinion, is Avatar a GREAT score?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is Avatar a GREAT score?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/19 at 10:59 PM

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

In the binary of "Avatar IS a great score," and "Avatar is NOT a great score," saying it's OK is the latter.

Very well.

Considering my assembly of the score is over 4 hours long from start to bonuses, and I have no problem listening to the whole damn thing, obviously I fall into the yes, I think it's a great score category. 

If others don't think it is, the fuck do I care?

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But is it better than Titanic?

As NL says, apples and oranges. They're pretty even on a ranking list to me, though.

http://filmtracks.com/titles/avatar.html

It is a 5 star score. 

I just was aghast when i say Jurassic worlds hate comments towards the score so much so I had to listen to a portion of the album to cleanse my soul.

So...neither ALIENS nor STAR TREK:II have much in common, musically, with AVATAR. REALLY?????!!!!!

That's like saying HOW TO STEAL A MILLION has not much in common wit THE ACCIDENTAL FUCKING TOURIST! Please go away, and never bother the internet, again.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

So...neither ALIENS nor STAR TREK:II have much in common, musically, with AVATAR. REALLY?????!!!!!

No more or less than Alien has with STTMP or it has with Poltergeist and Twilight Zone.

Each composer has his own style

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

http://filmtracks.com/titles/avatar.html

It is a 5 star score. 

I just was aghast when i say Jurassic worlds hate comments towards the score so much so I had to listen to a portion of the album to cleanse my soul.

Hate? I only said "it's not especially good".

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Hate? I only said "it's not especially good".

Thats hate filled words when you critcize this 5 star score.

Not when I say it. I've listened to the score and enjoyed parts of it, I just didn't find it to be especially good. My main complaints are that it sounds too generic, as many of Horner's late scores do, and not sufficiently developed.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's like saying HOW TO STEAL A MILLION has not much in common wit THE ACCIDENTAL FUCKING TOURIST! Fuck off, you cunt, and never bother the internet, again.

So you're one of those who takes a 10 second long motif and writes off a two hour score for it. 

NO. Avatar and Titanic (and Aliens) do not have much in common. One minor motif doesn't prove your stupid argument. 

Look in the mirror when you tell someone to fuck off. 

18 minutes ago, NL197 said:

So you're one of those who takes a 10 second long motif and writes off a two hour score for it. 

NO. Avatar and Titanic (and Aliens) do not have much in common. One minor motif doesn't prove your stupid argument. 

Richard's being (slightly) ironic, as Brits tend to be, and also funny. :)

THE VILLAGE or SIGNS are great scores, but I don't see how they would fit the AVATAR world. But put on something like "Swimming" from WATERWORLD or "The Egg Travels" from DINOSAUR or "The Crystal Chamber" from ATLANTIS, and you'll find the proper heir to the Horner AVATAR sound right there. If he can manage to find that old JNH within him.

41 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I don't think you understood Richard's post at all.  He was responding to the filmtracks review that was posted in the post directly before his post; he was not addressing anyone in this thread.  His post is directed at Christian Clemmensen, who wrote in the linked filmtracks review:

Why Horner seems so inept at conjuring unique chord progressions for his themes is truly baffling, but fortunately his ideas are generally able to be manipulated so well that they suit the emotional needs of multiple contexts. As such, few non-soundtrack collectors in the mainstream will be sitting around scratching their heads over this issue (Berardinelli actually mistakenly compared this score to Star Trek II and Aliens, neither of which having anything much in common musically with Avatar), and Horner at least saves his most unique idea in this score for the film's primary theme.

It is not a great score. It accompanies a successful James Cameron movie and therefore it is considered more than just a Hans Zimmer rip-off. Musically, it is as interesting as Titanic, but at least it doesn't have the cheesy synths.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nah. It should be James Newton Howard. He's been in somewhat of a rut lately with the genre fare, but this might just be the one that inspires back his old form. 90s JNH would be perfect for this.

Well, sadly the 2010s JNH is as disposable as anyone else.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

He did write better scores than Avatar more than once.

😂🤣lol NO

zimmer is exceptionally mediocre.