Contacting John Williams?

D_nev

Hello everyone!

I am in my undergraduate studies studying composition and I am currently taking a music history class that focuses on the 20th and 21st centuries.

I have been assigned a pretty sizable paper that I am able to choose the topic of and I want to do it on John Williams, specifically attempting to map out his stylistic periods (using the Star Wars films as a constant.) Upon telling my professor my plan, she recommended that I try and reach out to him (or a manager of sorts) for an interview. I am aware that this is a serious shot in the dark (and nothing will probably come of it,) but I wanted to try anyway.

Does anyone on here know anything about how one would go about contacting any of these entities for a project like this? Thank you all in advance!

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I don't know how much you make per month, but my guess is, not enough for this.

Noted 

Some film composers are actually surprisingly reachable. Williams is not one of them.

Heck, I'm writing a book on JW's music right now, and through a very lucky combination of connections and timing, I actually got my hopes up that I'd get a chance to speak with him earlier this year. Then his illness came up a few months ago, and, well... I don't think he's giving interviews with us randos any more.

I believe the standard thing to try is to contact Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency (JW's agency). However, as others have noted, it is highly unlikely that the message would actually make it to JW himself. But I suppose it can't hurt to try! I don't have the agency mailing address with me right now but maybe someone else can post it here?

Sorry to dash your hopes upon the rocks @D_nev but can't you achieve the same results by referencing other books on Williams and other sources, or perhaps musicians and people who have worked with him before? 

I think it would be an interesting read to track Williams' styles throughout the years.

EDIT: @Doug Adams has made a few detailed podcasts on the topic too

Generally, how reachable a celebrity or a famous artist is, is directly correlated with how popular, successful, and in demand they are. Again, generally.

So John Williams will probably not be reachable...

4 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Then his illness came up a few months ago, and, well... I don't think he's giving interviews with us randos any more.

If you already had your foot in the door you should not give up yet!

7 hours ago, D_nev said:

Does anyone on here know anything about how one would go about contacting any of these entities for a project like this? Thank you all in advance!

You'll have better luck with Guitar-Williams.

Well as the main page of JWFan says in the Contact section:

CONTACT JOHN WILLIAMS

Unfortunately John Williams can not be contacted via email. In order to get in touch with the composer you may do it through Mr. Williams’ agency‘s address or phone:

• The Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency, Inc.
    Talent Agency
    4111 W. Alameda Avenue • Suite 509
    Burbank, California • 91505Phone: (+1) 818.260.8500

• 2 weeks later...
On January 8, 2019 at 3:19 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

You'll have better luck with Guitar-Williams.

Not really actually. I hear that he has crowds amassing at his front doorstep in confusion over his name.

On 1/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Step 1) Either be 13 or be with a 13-year-old.
Step 2) Harass John Williams outside of his house with mediocre renditions of his music. 
Step 3) Wait for John Williams to come out of house.
Step 4) Profit. 

This is seriously the most direct way to contact him. 

I've never seen this before.

It's 4:40 AM, and I'm cracking up.

I'm also impressed it worked!