Star Wars: Episode IX - Early Score Predictions Thread

crumbs

Episode IX Score Predictions  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score an Episode IX trailer, like the TFA teaser?

2. 2. Will John record the Main Title during the IX sessions and actually use it, or re-use the TFA version?

• A new 2019 recording will be used
    • The Force Awakens recording will be re-used again
  3. 3. What will be the final theme of the score before the ending credits fanfare?

• Force Theme
    • Rey's Theme
    • Luke's Theme (Main Title)
    • Something new/non-thematic
  4. 4. Will John write an original end credits suite or assemble an edit of film cues?

• A proper end credits suite (ala TFA's "Jedi Steps and Finale")
    • An assembly of excerpts from the score (ala The Last Jedi's "Finale")
  5. 5. Will John again reprise an existing suite, such as The Throne Room, to finish the credits?

• Yes, he'll reuse an existing concert piece
    • No, John will write something new as his big send-off to the saga
  6. 6. Will JJ finally get his Williams-composed 'Cantina Band'-esque source music, ala Canto Bight?

• Yes, JJ won't let that opportunity slip twice!
    • No, there won't be any need for it in IX... or JJ will hire Lin-Manuel Miranda again!

Ordinarily I'd agree but I reckon JJ was a big proponent of Williams scoring that teaser music for Force Awakens.

Or maybe it was just the big-wigs at Disney who thought it would be a nice touch to celebrate his return to the fold. Hard to say.

I predict that JW will not write any trailer music but that some music from the score will be used in at least one of the trailers.

The movie will end with the Force theme.

The opening crawl will use the TFA rendition.

And last, that the score will feature the most instances of the Force theme in any single film. I forget which film currently holds that title but I do recall that the number is quite high.

I don't feel like they'll use the opening crawl rendition from TFA for IX. That means that Williams won't perform the opening crawl during sessions for his last Star Wars film, which I don't see happening. Granted, I'm aware he performed it during TLJ's recording sessions but I'm assuming it being absent from the final film was just a mistake. 

8 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Granted, I'm aware he performed it during TLJ's recording sessions but I'm assuming it being absent from the final film was just a mistake. 

Not sure we'll ever to the bottom of that, unless the music editor specifically addresses it. Not even the director knew it was switched for the TFA one until he was told (I can't remember who brought it up with him, it was on Twitter I think).

That both the film and OST used the TFA recording indicates it wasn't an accident, however.

15 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I don't feel like they'll use the opening crawl rendition from TFA for IX. That means that Williams won't perform the opening crawl during sessions for his last Star Wars film, which I don't see happening. Granted, I'm aware he performed it during TLJ's recording sessions but I'm assuming it being absent from the final film was just a mistake. 

Something like this cannot possibly be a mistake. All these files are properly named and used. We are talking about a production that cost 100s of millions of dollars.

They probably switched the recordings for the main titles in TLJ with the TFA recording to make for better continuity as the established opening titles for this new trilogy.

I am kind of expecting some sort of call back, musically, which we have not yet heard in the sequel trilogy. As to which one, Throne Room and Finale seems pretty interesting, although a RotJ Final Space Battle would do lovely with some Into the Trap quotes. That being said, I hope there's not too much nostalgaic musical callbacks (although Lesson Two from TLJ's Isolated Score is full of such beautiful thematic pathos, as is The Spark) as we received much of that already. I am hoping for at least two or three new themes or ideas, and an over-arching vibe that reflects finalization, conclusion, and resolve.

I predict it'll have one new theme, one suite of said new theme, many out of context force theme statements, the tone of Last Jedi, some rerecordings of OT material, and will end with - sigh - Binary Sunset.

1. I doubt he'll score the trailer. I generally like the outsourced ones, as they work well in context. I especially like TFA #2, with that intense extension of the climactic chord of the Force theme and the astonishing key-matched segue to the climax of Yoda and the Force and then to the ESB End Title finale. Is it available as audio-only somewhere?

2. I have to imagine JW has nothing left in himself for interpretations of the Main Title, but might hand it off again to Dudamel or perhaps Ross, with some little farewell wink of a change in the arrangement or orchestration.

3. Given his repeatedly stated admiration for Daisy Ridley, it's got to be Rey's theme. Rampant overuse of the Force theme notwithstanding, it really serves well (or could serve well) as the overarching theme for the ST.

4, 5. I'm going to be optimistic and say he will pour all of the kind of energy he had for new arrangements after TLJ into the finale of IX, and write a original end credits suite with new variations on existing themes, whether or not this is likely. A further tribute to Carrie Fisher via Leia's theme seems reasonable. Throne Room in RotS seemed like a good idea that discredited itself with bloated execution, I sincerely hope we don't go there again.

If rumours of Palpatine's return are revealed to be true, perhaps we will have an expansion of Kylo Ren's theme that makes its melodic connection to Palpatine explicit, or even a callback to the Russian-style men's chorus in the throne room battle in RotJ... but of course featuring women's voices by way of update.

It will have lots of notes. 

John William fans will buy lots of copies 

18 hours ago, Fabulin said:

1. March of the Resistance will be heard, likely together with one of the other space battle themes. Alternatively, arranged like a wedding march (new throne room). Or both.

2. If Kylo turns to the light side in the finale (which I highly suspect):

Just like the second part of Raiders fanfare, when elderly Jones got into a fight in KOTCS

For reference:

3. Add something like "Rey and Kylo's Theme", being to Rey's theme like Han and the Princess is to Leia's (Reylo or not).

4. Add a ghostly/Yodalized version of Luke's Theme, maybe a bit sad or serious instead of innocent like that for ghost Obi-wan was.

What I would wish to hear, but am afraid will not happen, are Main Titles like "Take 17" from 1977, with more pronounced string section. Fitting for a farewell from the galaxy far, far away---especially if the crawl was to tell about Princess Leia's death.

I also predict the absence of significant new planet themes. The film will not be paced slow enough to allow something like this. An illusion of characters being more important than the galaxy reigns these new movies.

Kylo Ren has no path to redemption

Well they're still in production, shockingly. Apparently through until the end of February (a 7 month shooting schedule??)

Considering JJ works with a team of editors, I'd assume they're already assembling the film in pieces (as with TFA). It's possible Williams could start seeing individual reels as early as March.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the score will start with another action set-piece like TFA and TLJ or will get something more "cerebral" ala TPM and AoTc.  The latter would be a nice change of pace IMO (though it depends on what's on film of course).  

I have a strange feeling that the movie will open with some kind of flashback of either Been Solo's childhood or Rey's.  Kind of like how they did it with Lord of the Rings 3 and X-Men 3. 

I think it won’t be as creative as maybe Solo was, but I’ll still love it.   Anything John Williams has written has exceeded or met my expectations for now.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

So The Last Jedi all over again?

It was great score, yes, but the Force theme was overused.

Okay... maybe I'm just too obsessed with the Force Theme...

I think the Episode IX score is probably going to feature one new concert piece. JW will probably re-use The Jedi Steps and Finale as his send-off.

even though I personally want a "complete version" of the Force Theme, I don't think we'll get it. 🤔 I'm excited for the new direction he's heading. What comes after The Rebellion Is Reborn?

👻

Principal photography for IX finished up yesterday, with JJ posting the following:

It feels impossible, but today wrapped photography on Episode IX.  There is no adequate way to thank this truly magical crew and cast.  I’m forever indebted to you all.image.png

Source

Note from the whatever-it's-worth-department that this image was probably taken in November when they finished filming in Jordan.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, Fabulin said:

Vast majority thinks that Williams "will write something new as his big send-off". I wonder what do you expect. Are Adventures of Han big? is Rey's Theme big?

I expect nothing sweeping anymore. This is not 20 years ago and it is definitely not 40 years ago. 

I'm just hoping that Williams is able to top the amount of motifs we got in TLJ. That thing was jam-packed, but I still feel it can be surpassed. 

S1qhvdQ.png

2 hours ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

Note from the whatever-it's-worth-department that this image was probably taken in November when they finished filming in Jordan.

Possibly their last shared scenes were the location work in? Just a thought.

Barring that set dressed park opposite Pinewood, and whatever was shot in Wadi Rum, the entire film appears to have been shot on soundstages. 

Makes you wonder how "epic" the film can feel unless several key environments will be digitally generated (ala Mustafaar or Coruscant).

Although I'm not exactly predicting it, I hope Ep 9 has a lot more choral work. ROTS featured a fair amount of choir but I was disappointed by Battle of the Heroes. Even though it was going for a more emotional, climatic feel, I felt the choir work was lacking in comparison to Duel of the Fates. Anakin's Betrayal on the other hand is stellar stuff and I would love to see that kind of epic melodrama return to JW's music for Ep 9. 

Yes!

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I'm just hoping that Williams is able to top the amount of motifs we got in TLJ. That thing was jam-packed, but I still feel it can be surpassed. 

Interesting.

I actually think Williams is at his best - in his serialized scores - when he doesn't have too many ideas floating around the score. Makes the score that much more focused.