Star Wars: Episode IX - Early Score Predictions Thread

crumbs

Episode IX Score Predictions  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will John Williams score an Episode IX trailer, like the TFA teaser?

2. 2. Will John record the Main Title during the IX sessions and actually use it, or re-use the TFA version?

• A new 2019 recording will be used
    • The Force Awakens recording will be re-used again
  3. 3. What will be the final theme of the score before the ending credits fanfare?

• Force Theme
    • Rey's Theme
    • Luke's Theme (Main Title)
    • Something new/non-thematic
  4. 4. Will John write an original end credits suite or assemble an edit of film cues?

• A proper end credits suite (ala TFA's "Jedi Steps and Finale")
    • An assembly of excerpts from the score (ala The Last Jedi's "Finale")
  5. 5. Will John again reprise an existing suite, such as The Throne Room, to finish the credits?

• Yes, he'll reuse an existing concert piece
    • No, John will write something new as his big send-off to the saga
  6. 6. Will JJ finally get his Williams-composed 'Cantina Band'-esque source music, ala Canto Bight?

• Yes, JJ won't let that opportunity slip twice!
    • No, there won't be any need for it in IX... or JJ will hire Lin-Manuel Miranda again!

31 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it peaks with IX, or JJ asks for a ROTS-esque score or DOTF type track for the final showdown. Seems an appropriate way to conclude the series, by bookending the musical sensibilities of I with IX.

I mean, I don't see it happening, but its a nice idea.

Just no more binary sunset!

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Great work there @aj_vader

The Star Wars logo will likely be blue for IX though, same colour as the traditional end credits text (and the 'Long time ago...' text).

Thank you

Blue would be nice :)

The Force Theme is way overused. If he uses it again to close out Episode 9 that will be 4 movies in a row using the Force Theme to lead into the end credits.  The use of it at the end of Last Jedi was particularly lazy, that moment called for a big inspiring statement of Luke’s Theme as that kid looked up at the stars.

27 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

The Force Theme is way overused. If he uses it again to close out Episode 9 that will be 4 movies in a row using the Force Theme to lead into the end credits.  The use of it at the end of Last Jedi was particularly lazy, that moment called for a big inspiring statement of Luke’s Theme as that kid looked up at the stars.

I don't think laziness has anything to do with it. Prior to ROTS, JW had never ended a SW movie with Binary Sunset and it makes total sense in ROTS as the ending scene is literally a binary sunset.

My guess is that the directors are responsible for the use of Binary Sunset to end these latest films. Both JJ and Johnson seemed intent on recreating classic SW moments in their own way and their nostalgia for the music is clear.

Agreed about ROTS and I don’t mind it’s use in the finale of TFA but by TLJ it has now become a completely uninspired way to musically end a SW movie  - whoever’s decision it was. And as I said, it wasn’t even the most appropriate theme to use for the final shot of TLJ.

So I'm less inclined to think The Throne Room will wrap up the credits again, now that MM has provided some insight into John's thought-process regarding IX. If he's not approaching the score as his farewell to the saga, I think he's more likely to close out this trilogy on this trilogy's themes.

Time will tell! 

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

So I'm less inclined to think The Throne Room will wrap up the credits again, now that MM has provided some insight into John's thought-process regarding IX. If he's not approaching the score as his farewell to the saga, I think he's more likely to close out this trilogy on this trilogy's themes.

Time will tell! 

What did MM say?

Williams's quote was something like "I'm looking forward to Episode IX and that will be quite enough for me" so I think we can be forgiven for thinking he was hanging it up.

But I guess what he meant was that he's obviously just not gonna be hunting anybody down for Star Wars gigs. In all likelihood, this will be it but if they fast-tracked more saga sequels, Kennedy would probably ask and he clearly feels obligated to those. And if somebody made a persuasive enough request for a theme or even a whole score for the spin-offs, then it's not impossible that he'd do it.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:00 AM, crumbs said:

Possibly their last shared scenes were the location work in? Just a thought.

Barring that set dressed park opposite Pinewood, and whatever was shot in Wadi Rum, the entire film appears to have been shot on soundstages. 

Makes you wonder how "epic" the film can feel unless several key environments will be digitally generated (ala Mustafaar or Coruscant).

Yes, I think based on Oscar’s emotional reaction and him not being in London as the last scenes were filmed there, this may have been the end or the end of most of his filming with the main cast. 

I suppose we’ll find out if there are any other locations. I know they’ve been very important to the mindset of the ST’s creation, so I wouldn’t be surprised to find out there are more. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

if they fast-tracked more saga sequels

which I dearly hope they don't.

Ever.

Enough is enough! For Williams, and for the cycle as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...

For Star Wars Episode 9 (IX) I do think John Williams will created mostly newer music for the last episode of The Skywalker Saga. For the questions asked in the poll I will try to answer them as best I can. 1. Yes I think their will be new JW Music in the teaser trailer for Episode 9. , 2. The Force Awakens recording will be re-used again for the main titles unless they do use the one from the Original Trilogy but doubt they would. , 3.The Force Theme will be used and will be the final theme of the score before the ending credits fanfare. It makes sense to use it to close out The Skywalker Saga. , 4. JW will write an original end credits suite. A proper end credits suite (ala TFA's "Jedi Steps and Finale"). , 5. John will write something new as his big send-off to the saga. and 6. Yes, JJ won't let that opportunity slip twice! and John will get his Williams-composed 'Cantina Band'-esque source music. So many ways Star Wars Episode 9 (IX) could go musically and I hope it will be good. Fingers crossed