Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Jay

1 hour ago, elvisjones said:

Because everyone knows Kraemer AND Balfe could change styles as needed from film to film - it's part of the job of being a film composer.  

Except that Balfe's "music" will always sound bland.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

But don't we already know why he didn't bring back Kraemer?

Because Kraemer made a pass at his wife?

Rogue nation is one of my favorite MI movie while Fallout is the one I almost fell asleep watching it, despite it being shot 1km from where I live. The music certainly did not help. I have NOTHING against balfe. I juste Prefere Kraemer style.

Somehow, It would not surprise me if this ended up with Zimmer.

11 hours ago, elvisjones said:

I can't find the exact quote, but when Balfe was confirmed, McQuarrie made a big deal on twitter posts about the fact that he didn't bring Kraemer back because every MI film had a different director up to that point and every MI film felt different stylistically, and he wanted to maintain that  - and that was the only reason he changed composers.  So yes, if he brings back Balfe for another film, that means his excuse for not bringing back Kraemer was not true.  Because everyone knows Kraemer AND Balfe could change styles as needed from film to film - it's part of the job of being a film composer.  

Koray, I know you love Balfe and I know you love McQuarrie and you don't like Kraemer, so I fully expect you to come up with another reason why what I'm saying is somehow not true...

No, I actually agree with your post, if that’s what McQuarrie said. I don’t remember the exact quote either.

And I probably like Kraemer more than most here. 

Jack Reacher is a good score!

I read an interview with Kraemer where he spoke about Jack Reacher and McQuarrie and this quote kind of makes sense, considering the Mission Impossible situation.

"I’ve gotten a sense over the years of what Chris likes, and I would gravitate towards those types of chords and gestures, such as the low, brassy crescendos.  The main musical idea behind the score is a pivot between C# and A, two major chords which somehow in combination create a bit of a minor-key feeling."

The quote made me think of the low brass swells on MI Fallout...

54 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No, I actually agree with your post, if that’s what McQuarrie said. I don’t remember the exact quote either.

And I probably like Kraemer more than most here. 

I take back what I said, then...sorry.   

I have decided to revisit Kraemer's score to Rogue Nation. I should hope for him to score one if not both of these MI films. If not I'd be content with Giacchino and non-partial to Balfe. 

McQuarrie has no history of working with Giacchino.

It'll be Balfe, or someone else from the Zimmer crowd, unless McQuarrie comes to his senses and patches things up with Kraemer

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

McQuarrie has no history of working with Giacchino.

Everything is unprecedented until it happens for the first time

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It'll be Balfe, or someone else from the Zimmer crowd, unless McQuarrie comes to his senses and patches things up with Kraemer

Yes, I understand that those are the probable outcomes.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure Koray is the only other person on JWFan besides me who loves the Jack Reacher score!

I would love for him to tackle some big IPs. Happy for Ryan Shore, but hopefully he gets a Star Wars property one of these years. 

Oh, the "he" in that last sentence referred to Kraemer? I get it now. I literally had no idea Shore had scored anything Star Wars related. Not really my franchise since the 90s. 

Balfe is what in the 80s you might have called a TV composer. He has skills to get the job done but no imagination on anything. There'll be a few live bongos in the next film, a lot of supposedly live brass that sounds exactly like my keyboard, and no imagination. That's the seemingly Chris Nolan way they want to go here. But if McQuarrie and Cruise are sticking to their mandate on making every film different, well how about (they are not going to go full Lathimos whatever), trying the Jeremy Dyson way, and go for Frank Ilfman. How about being more creative, Mansell has burned his bridges but still does excellent music but how about Richter, he can do anything, or even a Murray Gold.

• 7 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, elvisjones said:

well if he brings back Balfe we know all his talk about each film having a different style is bullshit