Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

The Good Place is one of those shows that to me seemed very gimmicky, like it couldn't possibly sustain itself, but fairly quickly my expectations were subverted and it turned into this amazing rollercoaster ride that I didn't want to stop. However, I think it's good that shows like this one can dictate what they want without being rushed or forced into ending a season earlier than the writers had hoped for. Continuum was a sci-fi series I absolutely adored, but it only managed to run for four seasons, forcing the writers to bring the ending sooner than they had planned which left the series finale feeling like it wasn't earned, even though it was what the writers envisioned. If the Good Place has had an ending planned, then I'm all for it ending before it becomes a living corpse, like The Simpsons and the god awful Big Bang Theory which survived on laughter tracks from people who probably died during the course of that show.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jay said:

Every show on ABC,NBC,CBS,Fox is on Hulu

Turns out this isn’t completely true and Hulu only has episodes 8 thru 12 of Season 3. So still waiting for Netflix. 

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe he wants to watch shows while on the go?

This. 

The Good Place should not be watched on the go.  The Good Place should be watched at home with a nice drink in your hand and your partner by your side

Well the two comments were meant to be independent of one another. There are several shows I would never watch on a plane, but stuff like Seinfeld or Bob’s Burgers I’d happily watch on an iPad. 

23 hours ago, Jay said:

The Good Place should not be watched on the go.  The Good Place should be watched at home with a nice drink in your hand and your partner by your side

Yes, singletons ought to be barred from seeing it. It's too good for 'em!

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And of course, in this version, not the Russians but the CIA is to blame.

Of course!

In Russia, TV watches you!

Still haven't finished the previous season of Black Mirror here, sort of lost interest in it after a couple of weaker episodes. I'll catch up eventually though, because I'd hate to miss an absolute gem in there, which there's bound to be.

Last time I checked, you aren't Drax.

No, don't you tend to jump on a couple of years after everyone else but usually when the show is still running? That way you get to get in on all the finale hyyyyype!

Never Mind. .it hilarious in it mocking of amputees 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ssstttt! I know! I was attempting to bait @Quintus.

When did that last happen? Seems like donkeys years ago. If ever!

4 minutes ago, The Original said:

I didn't start watching Seinfeld until the finale aired.

That was my last year's greatest achievement in TV viewing. Followed by Star Trek Discovery.

7IKkyqO.jpg

Steef gets it, he noticed the attention to detail - look at the bland faux wooden finish on the walls, it's classic TNG. The interior of the Orville is pure 90s TV sci-fi, I love it!

Anyone else rely on general word of mouth and social media buzz for new TV instead of the seemingly endless torrent of trailers for them?

I dunno, I'm still sort of old school for TV hype. I expect trailers for movies only.

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Anyone else rely on general word of mouth and social media buzz for new TV instead of the seemingly endless torrent of trailers for them?

Probably most everyone

17 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Just heard of this new Prime show, that premiered 4 days ago:

Can't say I'm a Refn fan but I know there are others on the board.

He is just another in a long line of mediocre "talents" out there. 

I'm not really a fan of Refn either but he has his own distinctive style which apparently yields a very devoted fanbase. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Probably most everyone

It's how Chernobyl got so huge. General word of mouth!  Even Drax is checking it out.