Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I had no idea this BBC miniseries was a thing!  Looks fun.  A War of the Worlds adaptation that takes place in the time period of the original Wells novel.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:53 PM, Quintus said:

Eh where dafuq did this suddenly come from?

On 10/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

This was actually made last year ... it premiered on Canadian telly on Sunday night and New Zealand will follow suit on Sunday night coming (ah, co-productions and their wily ways). Due on the Beeb in 'late 2019'. 

As the first adaptation actually set in the novel's time and place (not counting the Jeff Wayne album), I'm looking forward to it.  

On 10/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, Quintus said:

It seems strange that it aired overseas first and that there doesn't appear to be any official reviews yet.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:51 PM, Thekthithm said:

On 10/9/2019 at 5:05 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

I sit corrected. Although seeing as how it seems to be a cheapo straight-to-DVD number with a cast of absolute nobodies, made (given the year) to cash in on the Spielberg/Cruise version I'm forgiving myself for never having heard of it. 

What's interesting is that there are actually two different 2019 TV adaptations of War of the Worlds, the BBC 3-episode one set in the 1890s, and an 8-episode one starring Gabriel Byrne & Lady Crowley set in modern day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(British_TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(2019_TV_series)

I've only seen her in Once Upon a Time in America and Downton Abbey

Apparently she was in Kick-Ass, but I don't remember

I'm really looking forward to The Crown season 3, but man the music ruins this trailer.  I'm so so so tired of slowed down sad version of pop songs in trailers.  This time it's Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'"

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You thought it was a good idea to post the trailer again?

Dammit.  I missed that.  And I looked for it by searching "the crown"

people need to stop posting poster images and trailers without also including text of what it's for that will come up in a search!

On 10/23/2019 at 3:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm really looking forward to The Crown season 3, but man the music ruins this trailer.  I'm so so so tired of slowed down sad version of pop songs in trailers.  This time it's Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'"

I hope the heavy vignetting in this trailer isn't representative of how the finished show will look.

At the moment this is looking distinctly BBC to me. More Merlin less Game of Thrones.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

At the moment this is looking distinctly BBC to me. More Merlin less Game of Thrones.

Indeed. I have no attachment to the source material, but looks very "meh" to me.

Some of it looks wannabe Game of Thrones. My kid has faith in this (then again, he thinks GOT is overrated). I'm afraid that I'll always see Henry Cavill and not the character he's playing. Does anybody have the same problem?

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Actually, a friend of mine who knows The Witcher says Cavill looks and sounds just right.

It's a personal thing of course. 

But what do you think? 

Having played the games (which are based on the original Polish fictions) and knowing the Geralt of Rivia character quite well, Cavill definitely "looks" the part. Whether or not the actor can nail what is a highly charismatic role is another matter.

The producers have clearly used the iconic game design of Geralt as the reference though:

y2jQZsz.png

On 10/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, Disco Stu said:

I had no idea this BBC miniseries was a thing!  Looks fun.  A War of the Worlds adaptation that takes place in the time period of the original Wells novel.

Anyone here mentioned the other upcoming WOTW show already? I hadn't heard about it till this morning.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Anyone here mentioned the other upcoming WOTW show already? I hadn't heard about it till this morning.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, Jay said:

What's interesting is that there are actually two different 2019 TV adaptations of War of the Worlds, the BBC 3-episode one set in the 1890s, and an 8-episode one starring Gabriel Byrne & Lady Crowley set in modern day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(British_TV_series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(2019_TV_series)

5 hours ago, KK said:

Coming out on Tuesday!

The first season was another unexpected surprise and a bit of a gem. But knowing how that ended, I'm struggling to find justification for this, but I'll reserve judgement. I honestly never expected a follow up.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

The first season was another unexpected surprise and a bit of a gem. But knowing how that ended, I'm struggling to find justification for this, but I'll reserve judgement. I honestly never expected a follow up.

I agree. It worked really well as a one-off. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Official trailer for Sevant, M. Night Shyamalan's series for Apple TV+

Hmm, what does an Apple TV subscription cost? 

My coworker who I talk TV with a lot said the first episode of His Dark Materials was really good (he especially praised James McAvoy's acting), and he really likes Watchmen too.  I haven't checked out either yet.