Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

No way! Love her.

Hacks S3 has quickly become of the series I'm most looking forward to and that's mostly because of the press and stuff, so good job on their part!

Emmy watchers should not be surprised if multiple top contenders this year opt to take a shot at the drama series race rather than compete in the limited series category. The list is known to include Apple TV+ ‘s “Masters of the Air,” FX’s “Shōgun” and HBO’s “The Sympathizer,” which means that those platforms are considering future seasons of those shows.

Multiple sources tell Variety that the top-tier contenders that seemed naturally bound for the limited series race are the subject of intense strategy discussions among network executives, agents, creators, PR and awards consultants. In order to win the Television Academy’s blessing to compete for drama series, networks would have to prove that the production will be ongoing beyond one season, which would differ from their original intent. Decision time is fast approaching as the submission deadline is May 9 for programs that aired between June 1, 2023-May 31, 2024. Representatives for Apple TV+, FX and HBO declined to comment.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/awards/shogun-masters-of-air-sympathizer-emmy-drama-limited-1235962392/

434468277-917504073709232-79722923953313

Epic new drama THOSE ABOUT TO DIE, starring Oscar-winning actor Anthony Hopkins, explores a side of Rome never before told — the dirty business of entertaining the masses, and giving the mob what they want most... blood and sport.

:o

1 minute ago, A24 said:

explores a side of Rome never before told — the dirty business of entertaining the masses, and giving the mob what they want most... blood and sport.

Oliver Reed would like a word.

8 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Oliver Reed would like a word.

Are you not entertained?!

Have we ever seen Hopkins in an ancient Rome drama?

Directors:
Roland Emmerich (Ep 101, 102, 103, 109, 110), Marco Kreuzpaintner (Ep 104, 105, 106, 107, 108)

MV5-BYm-Ez-MDIx-Yjct-Mz-Ez-OC00-ZTgz-LWE

The famous Marco Kreuzpaintner.

47 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It's directed by Roland Emmerich. Interesting...

On the very big plus side: Midway. On the minus side: Everything else in the 21st century. (I haven't seen The Patriot.) (What's White House Down? Does that maybe not suck?)

But seriously. I loved Midway SO much!

1 hour ago, A24 said:

Have we ever seen Hopkins in an ancient Rome drama?

Does Titus count?

Emmerich? Well, there goes any interest I had in the project.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

(What's White House Down? Does that maybe not suck?)

It's crap. Just a generic Die Hard wannabe, this time in the White House.

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Emmerich? Well, there goes any interest I had in the project.

It's crap. Just a generic Die Hard wannabe, this time in the White House.

Hmmm. That seems the most likely.

OTOH, are there any Emmerich movies you like? I don't like many but the ones I like I like a lot. So unless something looks as dumb as Moonfall or The Day After Tomorrow I'll at least give him a chance.

56 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

OTOH, are there any Emmerich movies you like? I don't like many but the ones I like I like a lot. So unless something looks as dumb as Moonfall or The Day After Tomorrow I'll at least give him a chance.

I'm usually not a fan of his brand of "dumb action and destruction" but I liked The Day After Tomorrow as a kid. 2012 was fun in theaters as well.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Hmmm. That seems the most likely.

For me, The Day After Tomorrow is probably his second best film after Independence Day. Everything else is crap. I still can't believe 10,000 B.C. made it into the theaters.

10,000 BC is one of the worst big budget movies of the century. Even teenage me thought it was utter crap. The same goes for Resurgence.

I tried watching Moonfall a few years ago on streaming but couldn't get past the 30-minute mark.

Yeah, I guess TDaT is his last "good" movie, and that was 20 years ago.

Remember Heroes, the NBC show about superheroes that had a brilliant first season and then everything else that came later was utter crap? Now its creator is trying to bring it back (he already tried in 2015 and the results weren't good).

https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/nbc/heroes/heroes-eclipsed-will-once-again-try-to-save-the-cheerleader-and-save-the-world-a210385

I didn't remember (or maybe didn't know?) that Fuller was involved in Heroes. I can't even recall how far I watched it. But every once in a while I'm tempted to revisit the first season (I haven't yet though).

Charlie Brooker, now of Black Mirror fame, used to write a fake tv listings magazine called TV Go Home (it’s online and very funny). According to my Facebook, 11 years ago, I went through a spate of doing my own. Sorry/not sorry for repeating them here. I don’t think these have dated too badly aside from the ones which are clearly references to much older shows. I’d definitely watch the Murder, She Wrote one. Why hasn’t anyone made that yet?!

High Concept: Brand new high concept sci-fi show in which an improbable event occurs, the reason or outcome of which never gets aired due to being cancelled midway through the first season as the audience quickly realise the writers haven't a fucking clue where the plot is going and stop watching.

Dexter, She Wrote: Prequel showing the early life of Jessica Fletcher during which serial killer Dexter Morgan shows a young Jessica Fletcher how to get away being a mass murderer and frame seemingly innocent people while visiting nieces or nephews.

Jeremy Kyle: Intervention! In a twist on the classic formula, Jeremy Kyle is put in front of an audience of mocking peasants as members of Kyle's own family are brought on to confront each of Kyle's own personal failings as the audience jeers at him like a monkey in a zoo. Followed by  Jeremy Kyle's Little Brother. Dara O'Briain asks Jeremy Kyle's little brother how Jeremy must be feeling about the vicious mocking he has just received while watching Jeremy Kyle weep uncontrollably in gloriously lo-def CCTV footage.

The Culture Show: Lauren Laverne compares the growth rates of Bacillus anthracis and cyanobacterium Synechococcus while discussing a new production of the Cherry Orchard starring a small tub of Activia.

Torchwood Late Night: Spin off from the unpopular sci-fi show. Episode 3/13 "The Shagging". Human dick machine Captain Jack Harkness must copulate with every human in the greater Cardiff area in order to prevent an alien invasion of some sort while the rest of the team go looking for a less conspicuous van to drive around in.

Whicker's World. Episode 3/6 The W(h)icker Man. This week, globe trotting documentary maker Alan Whicker visits a Scottish Island with surprising results.

image.png

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Whicker's World. Episode 3/6 The W(h)icker Man. This week, globe trotting documentary maker Alan Whicker visits a Scottish Island with surprising results.

We'll give him a "warm" welcome :lol:

A few more and I’ll stop. Promise.

Doctor Who: Part 1/6 - Invasion of Death. First in an interminable 6 part serial starring Jon Pertwee as the popular Time Lord. This week, five minutes of plot are crammed into an entire episode as Jo and the Doctor traipse around London, slowly revealing clues about the pending invasion and leading them to the head alien being poorly revealed in a badly executed zoom shot during the closing cliffhanger.

Doctor Who: Part 4/6 - Invasion of Death. Padding episode of an interminable 6 part serial starring Jon Pertwee as the popular Time Lord. This week, Jo and the Doctor get stuck in a maze solving clues that are entirely irrelevant to the plot and outcome while the Brig is driven around in his jeep and shouts at Benton.

Star Trek: Enterprise. Previously unseen pilot of be unpopular Star Trek prequel starring former Tory MP Jeffrey Archer as the deceitful captain of the federation's first deep space exploration ship. This week Captain Archer offends the Klingon Chancellor and then lies about it leading to life imprisonment on a frozen asteroid prison where a shape shifting alien ensures he doesn't escape.

Deal or No Deal: creepy uncle figure Noel Edmonds introduces a special edition of the popular dim witted gameshow as a a selection of uniquely stupid members of the public open boxes in an attempt to win the popular Kent seaside town.

Quantum Leap: previously unbroadcast pilot for the popular time hopping drama series sees the avant garde Irish novelist leap through time and help avert happy endings. This week, Beckett ensures the wife of a wealthy oil baron drowns in the pool after being caught embezzling money from her husband's business.

Deep Space Nine. "The Weakest Link". As part of Star Trek's crossover season, Anne Robinson travels to the Gamma Quadrant to awkwardly hurl poorly scripted insults at unsuspecting members of the Founders as one by one they are voted off as the weakest link.

Star Trek: The Next Generation. In an all new crossover episode, "Silicon Avatar Part 2", the crew of the Enterprise must race to stop the crystalline entity and Data's evil brother Lore from destroying the peaceful Na'vi.

David Fincher says MINDHUNTER Season 3 will never happen.

“It's a very expensive show and, in the eyes of Netflix, we didn't attract enough of an audience to justify such an investment.”

Oh wow looks great.  A roast episode, that should be interesting!

Saw a bit of Ripley this morning. What is this? Cinematography that doesn't make me want to die? I might have to resubscribe for this.