Upcoming Television Shows (and general TV chitchat)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Costume looks good. The Nilfgaardian armor I saw on a friend who was an extra looks good too, as does an aninatronic monster head. Doesn't mean they'll nail the feel and core concepts of the world, though!

In the end (after a bad costume reveal last year) Cavill looks the part, back and front. In fact I'm impressed.

A great mature fantasy fiction being the source, it'd be a welcome surprise if this lived up to the potential. Especially after the Game of Thrones own goal that is just waiting to be be capitalised on.

I know it's only a teaser, but based on these brief clips alone I don't like the style of filming at all, it's seemingly more Xena and less Thrones. The lighting is wrong and the dialogue sounds stilted and theatrical. But I'll reserve full judgement till I've seen a full episode, because the original fiction is so good and this is full of potential for Netflix.

Eh. Not seeing the world I read about in this at all. The core of the whole thing, at least back in the short stories which they are mostly adapting, is a Slavic-Germanic fairytale universe turned on its head somewhat, made dark and unpleasant with dry black humour. You, far away, know how shocking it is to discover the original uncensored Grimm fairytales with CInderella's sisters hacking parts of their feet off to fit into the shoes and such, imagine going another degree or two further from that into real bloody territory with genetic alteration, ancient blood magic, creatures born out of human fault or sin, political intrigue and such. This here is generic Western fantasy mixing looks and eras. Yen is... not Yen. Ciri is a bit weird. Armors, costumes and Maz's Castle are dull. Of course dryads are generically black, have fun telling them apart from Zerrikanians. Istredd and many other people are of colour, too, but the Northern Kingdoms are their own thing and migration is usually limited to merchants and such, how does that bode for these Ofieri and Zerrikanians, what are their roles in society, why have they come there, will this be touched upon at all? Or is it just the PC quota, established universe logic be damned?

My son is waiting for this like you wouldn't believe, but I must say, this trailer doesn't bode well. It's not the GOT killer we all thought it was going to be. 

hqdefault.jpg

Apparently the fans would have preferred Mads Mikkelsen.

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

Eh. Not seeing the world I read about in this at all. The core of the whole thing, at least back in the short stories which they are mostly adapting, is a Slavic-Germanic fairytale universe turned on its head somewhat, made dark and unpleasant with dry black humour. You, far away, know how shocking it is to discover the original uncensored Grimm fairytales with CInderella's sisters hacking parts of their feet off to fit into the shoes and such, imagine going another degree or two further from that into real bloody territory with genetic alteration, ancient blood magic, creatures born out of human fault or sin, political intrigue and such. This here is generic Western fantasy mixing looks and eras. Yen is... not Yen. Ciri is a bit weird. Armors, costumes and Maz's Castle are dull. Of course dryads are generically black, have fun telling them apart from Zerrikanians. Istredd and many other people are of colour, too, but the Northern Kingdoms are their own thing and migration is usually limited to merchants and such, how does that bode for these Ofieri and Zerrikanians, what are their roles in society, why have they come there, will this be touched upon at all

Agreed, it's impossible not to share the same concerns, but at the same time I'm happy to trial the finished article as part of my subscription and I'm always content not to read too much into vague teaser marketing. How long off is this from release? By bet is they're still gauging reactions and are prepared to make alterations as necessary, depending on reception.

But as it stands, the tone doesn't appear to be right. That's the crucial thing for me; I can soon get over the fact that Yennefer and Ciri don't look anything like how I imagined them to (presumably these actors were cast for their suitability and chemistry), so long as they nail the mood. I'm also not expecting a verbatim adaption of the books.

Hmm just watched the teaser and yea.... sometimes it looks pretty cool but a lot of times it just looks cheesy.  Maybe it's just a bad teaser and the show will be good.  Who knows.

30 minutes ago, Quintus said:

This is like another of those embarrassing times when you post in the video game thread about something you profess to know about.

I own a controller now, so I can play Android games from my little box hooked onto the TV.

IMG_20190718_185430.jpg

Trailer doesn't do much convincing. But I'm still willing to give it a chance.

Brandon Routh as Superman again kinda takes the Cavill nasty taste away.

10 hours ago, KK said:

Trailer doesn't do much convincing. But I'm still willing to give it a chance.

Are you losing your faith in Lindelof?!

Didn't all the charges against Spacey get dropped the other day? Does that mean we're going to see an innocent man welcomed back into movies and Netflix original series?

I saw him in Baby Driver the other week. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to feel uncomfortable during his scenes, but the funny thing is I felt fine.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Are you losing your faith in Lindelof?!

Never! I...still have...faith!!

40 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Didn't all the charges against Spacey get dropped the other day? Does that mean we're going to see an innocent man welcomed back into movies and Netflix original series?

Nah. Spacey's career is definitely done. He might be able to sneak one or two more small gigs, but he's not making any comeback. 

Great actor. Still a creep though.

34 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Based on what?

Based on the word of a Star Trek actor, Steef. Isn't that enough for you?!

Anthony-Rapp-Star-Trek-768x432-1.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Something that allegedly happened decades ago?

It's usually when the victims are older that they dare to speak about it, not when they are 12.

Jeez!