Sign in to follow this  
toothless

Patrick Doyle's DEATH ON THE NILE (2020)

No dedicated thread yet, so… :)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/01/15/patrick-doyle-to-score-kenneth-branaghs-death-on-the-nile/

Patrick Doyle confirmed in a recent interview with The Scotsman that is set to compose the music for the upcoming film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile, the follow-up to Murder on the Orient Express, which the composer scored in 2017.  The film is directed by Kenneth Branagh who will also reprise his lead role as Hercule Poirot. Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer and Tom Bateman will also star in the movie, which follows Poroit on a luxurious cruise on the Nile River as he identifies a motley collection of would-be killers. Michael Green (Logan, Blade Runner 2049) is writing the screenplay. Judy Hofflund (Panic Room), Simon Kinberg (The Martian, Deadpool), Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Alien), Kevin Walsh (Manchester by the Sea) and Mark Gordon (Saving Private Ryan, Speed) are producing the project. Death on the Nile is set to be released on October 2, 2020 by 20th Century Fox.

Doyle has also recently scored Branagh’s All Is True, which received an awards-qualifying release last month and will be opening in theaters later this year. The composer is also scoring Branagh’s next feature, Artemis Fowl, which is set to be released on August 9, 2019.

Murder on the Orient Express wasn't really a good film. It felt a little tired in my opinion, but there were a few minor performances which did well. Patrick Doyle scored the first of this new Poirot series that appears to be rolling out, so I am not really surprised of the decision to stick with him for Death On the Nile. I'd hope for it to have a different sound than the first a bit, as the location of the Nile offers a great opportunity for some creative music.

ORIENT EXPRESS was indeed a poor film, and the score wasn't much better (save for a track or two). So I have basically non-existant expectations for this. That being said, I have a promo of Doyle's most recent Branagh score, ALL IS TRUE, and that's quite excellent.

Ah, I forgot Branagh directed Peter's Friends. Though IMDb doesn't list a composer, and I can't remember if it had any music (I must have seen it some 20 years ago), so it's probably a case of no score rather than a score by a different composer, as in Midwinter's case.

12 hours ago, John said:

I'm surprised they're actually going forward with this, with Orient Express' so-so box office numbers and mixed reviews. Wasn't very impressed with it myself.

352 million box office on a 55 million budget "so-so"?

I think the score is magnificent. The film is okay.

A pity that the new setting and characters mean that the journey theme and Armstrong themes won't return. They were both outstanding themes.

Not looking forward to the movie though. Felt very stale.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

At least it couldn't be any worse than the '78 version. I watched that, over Christmas just gone. Fuck's sake.

Its very very slow! Entertaining enough but can't hold a candle to Lumet's Orient, which is just about perfect.

I quite enjoyed Branagh's Murder On The Orient Express (admittedly I'd never seen any previous adaptation, so both the victim and killer(s) were surprises to me which probably helped). 

Suspect Death On The Nile will certainly be more fun than the gloomy crap that was the Malkovich-starring ABC Murders the Beeb served up at Christmas.     

On 1/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

I think the score is magnificent. The film is okay.

A pity that the new https://autoexpertguides.com/best-dash-cam and characters mean that the flexible solar panels review theme and Armstrong themes won't return. They were both outstanding themes.

Not looking forward to the movie though. Felt very stale.

Agree.