Patrick Doyle's DEATH ON THE NILE (2022)

toothless

No dedicated thread yet, so… :)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/01/15/patrick-doyle-to-score-kenneth-branaghs-death-on-the-nile/

Patrick Doyle confirmed in a recent interview with The Scotsman that is set to compose the music for the upcoming film adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile, the follow-up to Murder on the Orient Express, which the composer scored in 2017.  The film is directed by Kenneth Branagh who will also reprise his lead role as Hercule Poirot. Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer and Tom Bateman will also star in the movie, which follows Poroit on a luxurious cruise on the Nile River as he identifies a motley collection of would-be killers. Michael Green (Logan, Blade Runner 2049) is writing the screenplay. Judy Hofflund (Panic Room), Simon Kinberg (The Martian, Deadpool), Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Alien), Kevin Walsh (Manchester by the Sea) and Mark Gordon (Saving Private Ryan, Speed) are producing the project. Death on the Nile is set to be released on October 2, 2020 by 20th Century Fox.

Doyle has also recently scored Branagh’s All Is True, which received an awards-qualifying release last month and will be opening in theaters later this year. The composer is also scoring Branagh’s next feature, Artemis Fowl, which is set to be released on August 9, 2019.

Murder on the Orient Express wasn't really a good film. It felt a little tired in my opinion, but there were a few minor performances which did well. Patrick Doyle scored the first of this new Poirot series that appears to be rolling out, so I am not really surprised of the decision to stick with him for Death On the Nile. I'd hope for it to have a different sound than the first a bit, as the location of the Nile offers a great opportunity for some creative music.

ORIENT EXPRESS was indeed a poor film, and the score wasn't much better (save for a track or two). So I have basically non-existant expectations for this. That being said, I have a promo of Doyle's most recent Branagh score, ALL IS TRUE, and that's quite excellent.

Ah, I forgot Branagh directed Peter's Friends. Though IMDb doesn't list a composer, and I can't remember if it had any music (I must have seen it some 20 years ago), so it's probably a case of no score rather than a score by a different composer, as in Midwinter's case.

12 hours ago, John said:

I'm surprised they're actually going forward with this, with Orient Express' so-so box office numbers and mixed reviews. Wasn't very impressed with it myself.

352 million box office on a 55 million budget "so-so"?

I think the score is magnificent. The film is okay.

A pity that the new setting and characters mean that the journey theme and Armstrong themes won't return. They were both outstanding themes.

Not looking forward to the movie though. Felt very stale.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

At least it couldn't be any worse than the '78 version. I watched that, over Christmas just gone. Fuck's sake.

Its very very slow! Entertaining enough but can't hold a candle to Lumet's Orient, which is just about perfect.

On 15. Januar 2019 at 9:10 PM, Jay said:

Because the end of the last movie set it up?

Then don't set it up. There are about a dozen stories suitable for adaption.

I quite enjoyed Branagh's Murder On The Orient Express (admittedly I'd never seen any previous adaptation, so both the victim and killer(s) were surprises to me which probably helped). 

Suspect Death On The Nile will certainly be more fun than the gloomy crap that was the Malkovich-starring ABC Murders the Beeb served up at Christmas.     

On 1/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

I think the score is magnificent. The film is okay.

A pity that the new https://autoexpertguides.com/best-dash-cam and characters mean that the flexible solar panels review theme and Armstrong themes won't return. They were both outstanding themes.

Not looking forward to the movie though. Felt very stale.

Agree.

• 1 year later...

“Death on the Nile” — a follow-up to 2017’s box office hit “Murder on the Orient Express” — will bow on Dec. 18, 2020, vacating its original Oct. 23 premiere. “Death on the Nile,” a murder mystery based on Agatha Christie’s novel, appeals to an older moviegoers, a demographic that might be hesitant to return to indoor spaces during the pandemic.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/black-widow-west-side-story-eternals-release-date-delay-1234773491/

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Drew said:

This is Doyle's first-ever sequel score.

As in first sequel to his own work? He did HP4 otherwise.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

This is Doyle's first-ever sequel score. But will 2020, being 2020, allow it to happen?

That's true. It's a shame he wasn't brought back to do more THOR and POTA movies; his first score in each film series is easily the best of them all.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I am dying to hear this score. The first one is soooooo good.

One of my Top Twenty from last decade!

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's true. It's a shame he wasn't brought back to do more THOR and POTA movies; his first score in each film series is easily the best of them all.

MG kicked his ass with DAWN.

You just hate him so much you're blind to its merits.

Your loss😞

On 1/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

I

Suspect Death On The Nile will certainly be more fun than the gloomy crap that was the Malkovich-starring ABC Murders the Beeb served up at Christmas.     

God I hope so!

On 1/16/2019 at 12:25 PM, #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal said:

I enjoyed it in the cinema. But some of the changes to the source material stuck out like a sore thumb.

How many times can you do a ' faithful' adaptation?.

Like the Holmes stories, you have to mix it up a bit or it becomes stale.

Even Shakespeare gets makeovers!

11 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

One of my Top Twenty from last decade!

MG kicked his ass with DAWN.

You just hate him so much you're blind to its merits.

Not at all. I go into all his movies with an open mind as possible. DAWN was absolutely terrible, almost on the same annoying level as ROGUE ONE (i.e. making me physically angry at a score, which is a weird thing to do, really).

Of the "Doyle sequels", I think Mothersbaugh's THOR: RAGNAROK was fairly OK. But the POTA sequels were shit (the scores, that is, I liked the films).

It's a strange thing to really like a film, such as ROGUE ONE or the POTA sequels, but then being so incredibly annoyed by the score. It's as if you're watching a good film, and someone screams into your ear for the duration. Kinda ruins it.

Doyle really deserved to continue the storyline with THOR and POTA.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

It's a strange thing to really like a film, such as ROGUE ONE or the POTA sequels, but then being so incredibly annoyed by the score. It's as if you're watching a good film, and someone screams into your ear for the duration. Kinda ruins it.

That's your tinnitus, Thor.

Not the score!😡

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Really? What are the highlights?

You don't like the score, @bruce marshall?

I have it.

You ask the same question every time .

Not gonna fall for it.

Buy it, you cheap Viking!

You wouldn't like it.

It's not relatable. 😎