Patrick Doyle's DEATH ON THE NILE (2022)

toothless

I have been listening to it. I gotta say, I am disappointed to see no reprisal of themes from the previous film. There is a couple of hints here and there but that's it. I am guessing Christian Clemesen will be annoyed by that.

It also maybe clarifies certain theme associations from the prior film. Many people though the main theme from the last film was a theme for Poirot and not the train. Well if it were a theme for Poirot, wouldn't it return here? To my knowledge it does not.

Of course the Armstrong theme cannot return. But what about the Journey theme? That could function as a general travelogue identity. It is hinted at in one cue but does not return either. 

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I have been listening to it. I gotta say, I am disappointed to see no reprisal of themes from the previous film. There is a couple of hints here and there but that's it. I am guessing Christian Clemesen will be annoyed by that.

It also maybe clarifies certain theme associations from the prior film. Many people though the main theme from the last film was a theme for Poirot and not the train. Well if it were a theme for Poirot, wouldn't it return here? To my knowledge it does not.

Of course the Armstrong theme cannot return. But what about the Journey theme? That could function as a general travelogue identity. It is hinted at in one cue but does not return either. 

Completely agree. Poirot goes through a lot in this movie and there was real opportunity to play with that theme. A definite shame.

I thought that Doyle had a lot less to do with this one in general. The music during pivotal scenes is often quite restrained. I'm sure it'll reveal itself a lot on repeated viewings/listenings, but my immediate impression is that this is a step down from MotOE. The movie, however, is considerably stronger.

This is perhaps the first Doyle score where his compositional voice gets lost on me. Half of it sounds like boring Remote Control Productions stuff. Who is telling Doyle to write in such a boring style?

On 12/02/2022 at 2:22 AM, Drew said:

This is perhaps the first Doyle score where his compositional voice gets lost on me. Half of it sounds like boring Remote Control Productions stuff. 

Where have you been? Doyle has been writing like this since his Apes/Thor and Jack Ryan scores, and truth to be told, apart from british stuff like 'All is True', his american scores tend to be on the weak side, 'Orient Express' included. At least the travelogue stuff and some of the more outré moments in 'Nile' sound much more attractive.

I enjoyed both the score and the movie and definitively think it sounds like Doyle, of whom I'm a big fan. Just the instrumentation and melody writing is typical Doyle IMO. My favorite cue would be the last one probably which is the end credits suite. 

Also I think I can hear a hint of Shore's LOTR in a few cues, like Immortal Longings.

The score is pretty low-key and understated. Much of the cues are just suspense music played by cellos and bass, and some of them reminded me of Batman Begins. However, the final tracks are pretty good and melancholic.

16 hours ago, publicist said:

Where have you been? Doyle has been writing like this since his Apes/Thor and Jack Ryan scores, and truth to be told, apart from british stuff like 'All is True', his american scores tend to be on the weak side, 'Orient Express' included. At least the travelogue stuff and some of the more outré moments in 'Nile' sound much more attractive.

I just hope for a return to the old Doyle action sound every time. 😭

• 3 weeks later...

OK here's a clip from the movie 

And here's an audience reacting very strangely to it

Why does the audience go nuts here, what am I missing? 

I only remember people mocking the "enough champagne" line delivery from the trailer, so maybe it's that. I ain't about to watch the vid though, since I tend to generally feel uneasy seeing things with audience reactions outside of the theater.

Screenshot_2022-03-03-22-57-14.png

6 hours ago, Jay said:

OK here's a clip from the movie 

And here's an audience reacting very strangely to it

Why does the audience go nuts here, what am I missing? 

That must be an IMAX screening.

I don't understand why.directors like Branagh and Nolan don't shoot non- IMAX footage in 1"85 so they don't have to crop out so much for the standard 2:35 prints.

There's one prominent theme in this film and it plays in almost every scene and transition. Not the best score, but it fits the film well and sets the tone nicely.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

There's one prominent theme in this film and it plays in almost every scene and transition. Not the best score, but it fits the film well and sets the tone nicely.

I think I noticed about 2-3 themes in the score but one theme is really dominant, like you said, and is used in a lot of cues, though in completely different ways and I really like the way that Doyle moulds the theme into so many different contexts and uses throughout the score.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

That is obviously not a reaction to that scene. Or even a reaction to Death On The Nile. It's edited

OK, but why?  Is it just a "Gal Gadot can't act" joke?

I hope he does one of the England-set novels now.  Which should bring excited speculative fantasy casting of Chief Inspector Japp and/or Capt. Hastings and/or Miss Lemon and/or Ariadne.

The article reveals it will be set in Venice

Will there be more Agatha Christie adaptations?

We have the Poirot franchise, we have other Christie stories. I love these films, I love Ken [Branagh, who plays detective Hercule Poirot and directed Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile]. We have a third script written, by Michael Green, that is a pretty daring shift in genre and in tone. It’s post-war Venice and an adaptation of one of the lesser-known novels. So I think you’ll see the mustache again.

Would the mustache direct as well? 

Yes. Ken is Poirot, but Ken is also the series.