New Lonesome Dove (Poledouris) Varese (8 Mar 2019)

Discussed at FSM. Reissue of the Basil-approved Sonic Images expanded (but far from complete) edition, with one added track of a song performed by Zoe Poledouris and her husband. (This is per Ford Thaxton.)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134011&forumID=1&archive=0

No, it's the expanded program with a bonus track of a new song based on his theme written and performed by his Daughter Zoe and her husband.
Basil worked very hard on the original program and I went t through it with him nearly 20 years ago when SONIC IMAGES reissued it.
The Family and the folks at VARESE agreed that we should honor his wishes and keep it the way he had approved it.
Ford A. Thaxton

Yavar

• 2 years later...

This release on the 30th Anniversary depressed the fuck out of me. If ever there was a time to release the complete Lonesome Dove, it was this time. I don't mind respecting the composer's wishes but we had two albums that did that already. This and Amerika need a complete release more than any other Poledouris.

Considering he talked about adapting it into an opera, I think we should hear it all. There is so little Poledouris out there. Since this is also the closest we will ever get to his Dances With Wolves, I hope the soundtrack producers who care about his work care enough to preserve this entire score and not just this album. It is an integral part of his legacy. It's nice to know what we have was curated but we have less than 25% of the score.

Please, please, friends and fans and colleagues of Basil. Please make this happen. If we can get 6 Goldsmith releases in a year, I think we can get one more complete Poledouris soon. But considering this was just re-released, my hopes are low. My spirits are low. My frustration is high.

I have strong feelings. Lonesome Dove premiered on my birthday, the actual day of my birth. I have always felt a very strong connection to this score.

22 hours ago, blondheim said:

This release on the 30th Anniversary depressed the fuck out of me. If ever there was a time to release the complete Lonesome Dove, it was this time. I don't mind respecting the composer's wishes but we had two albums that did that already. This and Amerika need a complete release more than any other Poledouris.

Considering he talked about adapting it into an opera, I think we should hear it all. There is so little Poledouris out there. Since this is also the closest we will ever get to his Dances With Wolves, I hope the soundtrack producers who care about his work care enough to preserve this entire score and not just this album. It is an integral part of his legacy. It's nice to know what we have was curated but we have less than 25% of the score.

Please, please, friends and fans and colleagues of Basil. Please make this happen. If we can get 6 Goldsmith releases in a year, I think we can get one more complete Poledouris soon. But considering this was just re-released, my hopes are low. My spirits are low. My frustration is high.

I have strong feelings. Lonesome Dove premiered on my birthday, the actual day of my birth. I have always felt a very strong connection to this score.

If someone dares to fund it, IMO Lonesome Dove is the non-Conan score of Basil's which I think would be most likely to have great sales if produced as a re-recording...

Yavar

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

If someone dares to fund it, IMO Lonesome Dove is the non-Conan score of Basil's which I think would be most likely to have great sales if produced as a re-recording...

Yavar

Why would it have to be a re-recording? What could possibly be wrong with the music as recorded?

I think scores should get re-recorded 1000x more often. I am all for re-recordings but I definitely do not want one before the actual complete score is released.

I want the Poledouris conducted version. No offense to Nic Raine and others.

If it would sell well as a complete re-recording, wouldn't it sell well period?

5 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Why would it have to be a re-recording? What could possibly be wrong with the music as recorded?

According to the composer, quite a lot. Multiple performance flubs and such which made Basil really uncomfortable, apparently. He signed onto the Sonic Images expansion which added four more cues I think (and this is what Varese reissued), but that's all he wanted out there. Of course he had similar feelings about Conan the Destroyer and it looks like Intrada is still trying to put that out in complete form. I'm with you -- I'd be happy to get the complete Lonesome Dove, warts and all... but it would be against the composer's explicit wishes, for whatever that's worth to you.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

According to the composer, quite a lot. Multiple performance flubs and such which made Basil really uncomfortable, apparently. He signed onto the Sonic Images expansion which added four more cues I think (and this is what Varese reissued), but that's all he wanted out there. Of course he had similar feelings about Conan the Destroyer and it looks like Intrada is still trying to put that out in complete form. I'm with you -- I'd be happy to get the complete Lonesome Dove, warts and all... but it would be against the composer's explicit wishes, for whatever that's worth to you.

Yavar

I think there are probably a lot of scores out there that composers wince at. Especially with their complete rips. The way I see it: if I saw a live performance, performance flubs would always be a possibility. A performance flub doesn't often ruin any of the concert performances I have of Mahler, Bruckner, etc. Sometimes they can actualize the performance in a way. Like when you get to the end of Mahler's 8th and the brass is screaming the absolute best it can at that point. I also think composers are nitpicky.

He had every right to feel however he felt but I also have a right to feel however I feel. And once you release something, imo it also belongs to the fans. I don't ever imagine Basil looking down and saying "damn, those bastards who want every note! WHY DO THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH"

We will always have the composer's preferred highlights and who knows, I may prefer to spin it that way more often once I hear the complete version. But I would like to make that choice myself.

I am also one of those people that want the complete Destroyer. Idc what it sounds like. Being a Basil fan often means having to accept resignation over what could have been. Maybe that is why I love him so much; his music exists past the boundaries of the page in the imagination. There is the score you are hearing and also the shadow of the score that could have possibly been. I can always feel the presence of vast, unexplored worlds at the edges of every work. What's still out there and what died inside him? Something about Basil and his humanity and perseverance has always inspired me.

17 minutes ago, blondheim said:

He had every right to feel however he felt but I also have a right to feel however I feel. And once you release something, imo it also belongs to the fans. I don't ever imagine Basil looking down and saying "damn, those bastards who want every note! WHY DO THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH"

Of course not, but he did (when he was on Earth) say, "This is all of this score I want to be available on album." There's no getting around that. You can choose to disregard that, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Also, apparently Jerry Goldsmith (again, in this plane of existence) did basically complain about "bottlecap collectors" and essentially say, "damn, those bastards who want every note! WHY DO THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH" ... lol.

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Of course not, but he did (when he was on Earth) say, "This is all of this score I want to be available on album." There's no getting around that. You can choose to disregard that, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Also, apparently Jerry Goldsmith (again, in this plane of existence) did basically complain about "bottlecap collectors" and essentially say, "damn, those bastards who want every note! WHY DO THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH" ... lol.

Yavar

I am sure he did but like classical composers, who I am sure would not have wanted their student scores performed, once he is dead all of his work becomes vital to understanding him as an artist, imo. While he was alive, of course respect his wishes but now I think for archival purposes we should have it all.

I feel this way about any composer's work.

And I know that's how Goldsmith felt but composers aren't fans of themselves. We are.

I had the Sonic Images release on CD once (I only have it in file format now), and even that was too long. But it's a fine score for a great series.