Favorite John Williams rated "R" soundtrack

Dr. Rick

Favorite John Williams rated "R" soundtrack  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Williams rated "R" soundtrack?

• Images (1972)
    • The Long Goodbye (1973)
    • Cinderella Liberty (1973)
    • The Eiger Sanction (1975)
    • Black Sunday (1977)
    • The Fury (1978)
    • Dracula (1979)
    • Monsignor (1982)
    • Born o­n the Fourth of July (1989)
    • Presumed Innocent (1990)
    • JFK (1991)
    • Schindler's List (1993)
    • Nixon (1995)
    • Sleepers (1996)
    • Rosewood (1997)
    • Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    • Angela’s Ashes (1999)
    • Munich (2005)

Johnny Baby on his raunchy side! ;)

I was definitely not expecting this many choices when I decided to put this poll together!  I assumed maybe 5-8 rated "R" movies that JW's done over his career, but not 18.  If I missed any choices let me know!

So what's your favorite and why?  I would have to go with SL or SPR, but there's several good ones to choose from.

Not being a parent or under 17, I wouldn't know the ratings for the movies I see anymore.

But I remember the old days of anxiously awaiting the rating for a movie I wanted to see, especially as I started getting interested in the Oscar bait. It was a big day when The Aviator got a PG-13.

It was a toss up between Nixon and Presumed Innocent!

I hate to admit it, but Schindler's List has never really done anything for me, I've seen the film multiple times and just can't remember the score outside of the theme.

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

Why on earth were MONSIGNOR, J.F.K., SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, and PRESUMED INNOCENT rated R?

They could all be PG-13.

SPR ‘easily’ PG-13? Did you ever see it?

I've seen SPR several times.

I'm thinking of context. Yes, SPR is violent, but the film as a whole, has a good historical context, that, I would argue, should make it accessible to younger audiences. The violence in SPR is never gratuitous; in fact it's almost factual in its documentary-like presentation. The film deserves to be shown outside its allotted demographic.

@Sandor, please show me where I used the word "easily". If you can't, then throw yourself off of a roof, in Cairo. What a helpful chap.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I've seen SPR several times.

I'm thinking of context. Yes, SPR is violent, but the film as a whole, has a good historical context, that, I would argue, should make it accessible to younger audiences. The violence in SPR is never gratuitous; in fact it's almost factual in its documentary-like presentation. The film deserves to be shown outside its allotted demographic.

@Sandor, please show me where I used the word "easily". If you can't, then throw yourself off of a roof, in Cairo. What a helpful chap.

Ok, you seriously suggest I should KILL MYSELF, just because I put the word 'easily' in your mouth? I hope you don't have to deal with many people in the actual world...

You start your post with 'Why on earth..', which suggests that it is completely strange and absurd that a film like SPR is rated R. Me reading that as you feeling the film could 'easily' have been rated PG-13 is not that farfetched in my opinion. 

The violence in SPR is extremely visual and explicit. Gruesome even, even by today's standards. Of course the film has a historical context and the documentary feel of it is something that should be applauded. This is Spielberg at the top of his game. 

But just because it's realistic and based on a real event, doesn't mean it is suitable for younger audiences. I'm sure there are many kids below 17 that can take a film like SPR and put the violence into the right perspective, but I'm equally sure there are many who would be scarred by the experience. 

'Why on earth' would apply to films like Pocahontas or Home Alone. If those films were rated R than a question starting with such a strong notion would be completely valid. In the case of SPR it is simply not. In my mind it is definitely not an easy PG-13 film and I can understand the rating the MPAA applied to the film in the end. 

The violence in Saving Private Ryan isn’t too bad. It’s more the bleakness of it that merits the rating, I would say.

From memory, it’s not unlike Schindler’s List in that regard.

Generally PG-13 violence is pretty efficient and bloodless. You might have twenty guys get mowed down with machine guns or even stabbed at close range but they’re gonna fall off camera and you’re not gonna get a good look at the damage. You’re not gonna see an Avenger die a death like Wade or Mellish, or lying on the beach with their guts visibly spilling out. Sure in Infinity War, you can see some blood spilling out from whatserface’s head but it’s at a distance and mostly obscured (and green).

57 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The violence in Saving Private Ryan isn’t too bad. It’s more the bleakness of it that merits the rating, I would say.

From memory, it’s not unlike Schindler’s List in that regard.

Bleak does not equal an R rating.  Graphic does.  Both film contain very graphic violence and situations.  Graphic, however, does not equal gratuitous.  Violence can serve a higher purpose.  That does not make it any less difficult or inappropriate for certain audiences to watch.

It's not that complicated.    

When it comes to film ratings from a family perspective, I always look to Plugged In Movie Reviews, also known as Focus on the Family, for whenever I think of watching something with the whole gang. I want to be sure it's alright for even the younger ones. From their website:

Plugged In is an entertainment guide full of the reviews you need to make wise personal and family-friendly decisions about movies, videos, music, TV, games and books. 

Yes, call me pretentious, but it's really helpful sometimes when you have younger audiences around.

On the basis of Saving Private Ryan, the website states:

Saving Private Ryan captured $215 million in U.S. theaters in 1998. Now Steven Spielberg's World War II epic has been honorably discharged to home video. And while the gore factor of its 24-minute opening scene on Omaha Beach will be less intense on the small screen, bullet-riddled bodies, severed limbs, disemboweled torsos, spurting arteries and decapitations will still upset most viewers. Should Spielberg's noble intentions and Ryan's proclaimed "educational value" sway families? Consider first a few of the film's non-violent, yet troubling, particulars.

Foul language includes over 30 f- and s-words. On the battlefield, soldiers reminisce about sexual exploits back home (one young man recalls trying to have sex with an "ugly" schoolgirl in his father's barn). As for respecting faith and God, Ryan wobbles on both sides of the fence. It shows soldiers praying sincerely, but depicts one sniper as mentally unbalanced (he prays each time he kills a man).

As family-night entertainment, Ryan is a casualty. But as a morality tale underscoring the horror of armed combat, it accomplishes its mission brilliantly. It reveres the ultimate sacrifice made by young soldiers who paid with their lives for our freedom. The bottom line? Young children should never view these atrocities. As for teens, parents must weigh the significant negatives—extreme violence at the forefront—before letting adolescents enter the killing fields of Saving Private Ryan.

Just some food for thought on this idea of R rated films, Saving Private Ryan in particular.

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

Bleak does not equal an R rating.  Graphic does.  Both film contain very graphic violence and situations.  Graphic, however, does not equal gratuitous.  Violence can serve a higher purpose.

Yeah, but the combination of violence (which in and of itself may not be too bad) and what the MPAA calls “thematic material” or “intense” can get a film the R-rating.

Really, Saving Private Ryan isn’t that graphic, especially once the opening scene is done with. And yes, I agree it’s all very much in service of the story.

Well, I guess the question is it isn’t graphic compared to what? There are probably a dozen or so shots in SPR that I don’t think I’ve seen equivalents in PG-13 stuff. 

It’s an interesting debate, though. I usually see people arguing that MPAA gives violence an easier pass more often than not while the biggest ratings controversies always seem to involve nudity/language. 

@Sandor, of course I didn't imply that you should kill yourself. That was merely a reference to the character in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. If you can't see that, then you should have gone to Specsavers. 

I stand by what I've posted: SPR is an important film that should be seen by the widest audience possible. If one wants to cut anything, then cut the swearing.

Btw, no-one puts anything "easily" in my mouth...

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Sandor, of course I didn't imply that you should kill yourself. That was merely a reference to the character in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. If you can't see that, then you should have gone to Specsavers. 

You can't expect everyone to understand your movie references, Richard. Especially since Sandor isn't a Bond fan.

Why not talk normally to a person rather than through movie quotes?

On 1/19/2019 at 6:40 AM, Richard said:

Why on earth were MONSIGNOR, J.F.K., SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, and PRESUMED INNOCENT rated R?

They could all be PG-13.

You are kidding about spr right? I would say it merits an nc17 for violence.

3 hours ago, Romão said:

Sleepers

Thank you.

I felt sorry for Rosewood, so I voted it. Dracula is not underrated at all as I see. But where's the Rosewood fandom?

Angela's Ashes is rated R in America?

On 1/20/2019 at 6:41 PM, Display Name said:

I felt sorry for Rosewood, so I voted it. Dracula is not underrated at all as I see. But where's the Rosewood fandom?

Without The Fury, Rosewood would have been a contender for me.