Wash. Post Classical Critic: "I used to think the ‘Star Wars’ score was beneath me. I was wrong."

Will

So a professional classical music critic believed that film music was beneath her?

It's a good thing she had this recent revelation of being wrong. This thread could've really gone awry.

49 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

but often the sugary Mickey Mousey over the top scores that he is most famous for are the musical equivalent of Adam West running around in a goofy outfit.

Which ones are those?

Star Wars?  The second half of Superman?

Nothing worse than The Nutcraker there.

Read this article yesterday.  A good thing to see.  

22 minutes ago, karelm said:

Ahh, the irony of biased dismissal of a critic who now sees the light of their once biased dismissal. 

How is it a biased dismissal? I read her article openly and honestly, knew nothing about her prior work. I didn't dismiss her without first reading what she had to say. I don't read the Washington Post, I don't follow classical music or literature concerning classical music.

I don't think this article was a sincere concession of being biased. That's it.

That snobbish critic was so full of herself that instead of just writing a positive, honest review of John Williams' music and publish it elsewhere (maybe in another section of the paper or in a different publication), or maybe even in the classical music section itself (why not?), she wrote an entire article about how her holy opinion was wrong and how she is large enough to admit it, while patting herself on the shoulder and waxing philosophical about this topic.

It's funny (and significant) this was published in Washington Post of all outlets, though. One of the biggest bs propaganda papers not only in the US but worldwide. They should do a follow-up article on another topic: We honestly thought Hillary would win (honestly, we were 120% sure, convinced and positive), but here again, we were wrong! 😂 

While I'm really glad to see these JW reevaluations from classical critics, what has begun to annoy me is that they all seem to think his music boils down to reviving the stylings of the old dead white guys in the classical canon and never acknowledge the tremendous (and innovative) influence of jazz on his music. It's as if jazz is just one of those styles that he "does" when films call for it—just like he can "do" Jewish music and "oriental" music—rather than being woven into the DNA of his writing.

They've at least moved on from saying he is recycling Holst and Wagner to saying that he recycles them with consummate skill, and now cite those influences as markers of seriousness. But that is still all they seem to hear, which points to a lack of diversity in their ranks and also fails to identify what so often makes his neoromantic writing feel fresh and exciting.

I'm reminded of what Yo-yo Ma told Tim:

I think that John has had such a rich musical life, and that he has an unbelievably rich inner life. We don’t get to see it. We don’t get to hear him, necessarily, talking about his rich inner life—but we can hear it. So, I’ve never specifically talked to him about this, but I’ve talked to him about the books he’s read, about the people he’s fascinated by, about the different fields of knowledge that he knows about and that he’s interested in. See, I think just by looking at his actions I would say: the poetry of Langston Hughes, what we owe to the black community for the music that they’ve given all of us, that we profit from—he’s very conscious of that.

I wish JW would talk more about this part of his inner life.

On 19. Januar 2019 at 8:33 AM, Josh500 said:

Readers of (or writers for) the WP or TNYT are generally clueless and snobbish morons. This clueless and snobbish moron just found out that she was wrong, at least on this one particular topic. Good deal!

More people should wake up!

Donald approves.

Relatively speaking to other composers, it was much harder for the classical composers to be diverse because all they had were those concepts and traditions, but I don't think it matters: I don't listen to much Beethoven not because he is not original, but because I think composers after Beethoven have simply written way better music than he has. Yes, that period called the 20th century, when orchestration was improved a-hundred-fold, melodies became catcher through Jazz and other influences, diversity and imagination were off the wall, I love the Russians. Not everyone was great, but many were. I'm glad some people are deciding to remember this amazing time.

On the other hand, some people just really like certain composers and can't find later writers to top them. That's how I am with Williams and Borodin. Other people into heavy classical, just develop an ear or taste for that era.

More on a serious note, the Star Wars score is often beneath me, what's the deal? I have it stored on my phone. I should hope it's beneath everyone ! Unless they're too important or something to not have it on their phone! 

On 1/30/2019 at 12:52 PM, Borodin said:

More on a serious note, the Star Wars score is often beneath me, what's the deal? I have it stored on my phone. I should hope it's beneath everyone ! Unless they're too important or something to not have it on their phone! 

What the fuck are you talking about?

I think it’s a kind of play with words... like it’s constantly on your phone, so it’s supposed to be physically beneath you at all times... I guess, given that we all have it on our phones and that we constantly sit on our phones. 😂

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

He is expressing  his douchebagness.

I do not agree with you. Ludwig van Beethoven is one of the greatest composers of all time. Period.

Alexander Borodin is also one of the most underrated composers of all time. 

Only a tiny minority of people would call John Williams the greatest. I'm considered in that minority.

By contrast, there's many more people who consider Beethoven good, but certainly not one of the greatest writers of music anymore. Not actually as rare as the first statement. I prefer thousands of more composers, I think Beethoven is very dated and traditional.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I think it’s a kind of play with words... like it’s constantly on your phone, so it’s supposed to be physically beneath you at all times... I guess, given that we all have it on our phones and that we constantly sit on our phones. 😂

You are smart.

6 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Only a tiny minority of people would call John Williams the greatest. I'm considered in that minority.

By contrast, there's many more people who consider Beethoven good, but certainly not one of the greatest writers of music anymore. Not actually as rare as the first statement. I prefer thousands of more composers, I think Beethoven is very dated and traditional.

i don't even know what to say

I dont understand the comparison between film music and classical  music. I have only had the smallest interst in classical music. I am much more interested in John Williams than in classical or even films scores as a whole. 

3 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Why do you want a list of who "I" consider my favorite composers? Is it that important?

I'm just curious to hear these thousands of composers, or at least a decent number by the sounds of things, that are superior to Beethoven in your opinion. 

Not always

I never think of Clsssical music listening to Earthquake and the Towering Inferno. 

To me, something can be like Beethoven or even stolen from him, but it can a vast improvement in the overall quality, variation and composition. That merely means that the vast improvement is a better composition than the original, this is how we ended up with 20th century epics and John Williams. They improved the music in massive ways. If you like a certain artist more, it means they're better to you. For me that's an enormous list of 20th and 21st century composers, who were all influenced by those before them, such as Beethoven, but have vastly improved the sound of music we hear.

9 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I would put Borodin higher on my preference list than Beethoven, but I still think that Beethoven was a greater composer than Borodin.

I see what you mean, I'm just talking about my subjective taste. For example, I don't see a big reason for listening to much Beethoven anymore even if he was amazingly inventive for the time.