Robert Townson leaving Varese Sarabande (final Club Batch coming March 2019)

crocodile

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Don't care . To me Varese is synonymous with incomplete 30 minutes albums that almost never  get expanded, making it worse with their perpetual rights thing.   We got a few decently done over the years like Dracula, Stanley and Iris  and Cowboys but not that many .

Is there any more Williams scores affected by them?

Hey we also got Home Alone 2, Family Plot, Midway, The Fury and most important of all Heartbeeps.

Oh and I guess they have rights to Presumed Innocent but that is missing 5 minutes of music at most.

Well Family Plot and Heartbeeps are important too but it's not like they went out of their way to release many expanded Williams scores over the years

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Presumed Innocent is the only remaining John Williams score that Varese owns perpetuity rights to. 

Oh and The River isn't?

Anyway, I would buy Presumed Innocent DE. But I also wouldn't lose any sleep if it never came out. Is there even anything missing from the original album?

Karol

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

Don't care . To me Varese is synonymous with incomplete 30 minutes albums that almost never  get expanded, making it worse with their perpetual rights thing.   We got a few decently done over the years like Dracula, Stanley and Iris  and Cowboys but not that many .

Is there any more Williams scores we never got expanded because of them? Probably Earthquake and Eiger Sanction

There was an argument made at one point that many of those 30-minuters were coming out at a time when other (bigger) labels wouldn't have bothered. Hence, if Varese hadn't done them, they wouldn't have seen a release. But now of course, that comes back to bite.

If they released stuff at the same rate as LLL/Intrada, there wouldn't be a problem.

19 minutes ago, dougie said:

It came and went before I got a chance to use it.

Oh Minidisc we hardly knew ye!

What was minidisc supposed to succeed/replace? It looks like some sort of more advanced CD?

Personally I was using cassettes until the late 90s and had a very brief foray into CDs before skipping straight to mp3s for the start of my instrumental (later soundtracks) phase.

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

What was minidisc supposed to succeed/replace? It looks like some sort of more advanced CD?

It was recordable, like a cassette. Digital, like the CD. But with lossy compression.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I stayed away from this forum for only one fucking month and in this time Townson leaves Varese, Sony fucks the special labels in the ass and two marvellous Goldsmith finds have been made?

Is Archer (imminent from LLL) the other one besides The Public Eye you’re referring to?

Btw, it’s specifically Sony Music (whose albums can no longer be expanded/reissued after those few titles the labels already have in the pipeline) — Sony Pictures (same corporate owner, different administration) is still working with the labels.

Yavar

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Is Archer (imminent from LLL) the other one besides The Public Eye you’re referring to?

Yes.

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Btw, it’s specifically Sony Music (whose albums can no longer be expanded/reissued after those few titles the labels already have in the pipeline) — Sony Pictures (same corporate owner, different administration) is still working with the labels.

But seriously, we are all panicing right now and at the same time we all know that it doesn't mean the future of expansions has been shot dead, but instead, for special labels, it's just another barrier that guys like Lukas Kendall, Douglas Fake, MV Gerard and Mike Matessino use to slay with their mere ambition.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dougie said:

Anyone else remember the fanmade cover of Poltergeist II that became the Kritzerland release?

Or the fan made The Secret of N.I.M.H. painting that ended up as the alternate cover on the Intrada release.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Also the font is wrong; not the one Varese uses.

Otherwise it would have been very mean to post this cover art. Randomly posting an Air Force One Deluxe Edition cover in the Varese Sarabande thread, while the release of a new batch is imminent, seems quite dangerous anyway, now that I think it over.

• 3 weeks later...