What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes @Jurassic Shark.

Today was another bargain bin CD pick-up for me. Will listen to these later:

Image result for emperor concerto alfred brendelImage result for fiedler love of three oranges

As well as Symphonia Digital's recording of Grieg's Peer Gynt Suites and Piano Concerto. I've been meaning to get my hands on these in full for a while.

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Image result for emperor concerto alfred brendelImage result for fiedler love of three oranges

As well as Symphonia Digital's recording of Grieg's Peer Gynt Suites and Piano Concerto. I've been meaning to get my hands on these in full for a while

Great haul! Brendel's got several recordings of Beethoven's complete piano concertos, all of which are worth checking out, but I haven't heard his fifth with Mehta. I'm guessing that was his first recording of the work since the Vox label was where he started his recording career.

Who's playing in the Grieg concerto?

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'd not even heard of those before. What are they like?

Listen for yourself and judge! :)

They are study works, written around the same time as his Symphonie nr. 00.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Orchestral_Pieces_(Bruckner)

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Listen for yourself and judge! :)

They are study works, written around the same time as his Symphonie nr. 00.

I figure I'll just get a recording of them at some point, rather than listening to the samples and possibly deciding that they're nice but insignificant, thus confusing my Bruckner collection drive. ;)

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you heard Bruckner's Te Deum? IMO it's among his best works. Here's the great recording of Eugene Jochum conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker, with the wonderful soprano Maria Stader.

I'm not a big fan of what I've heard of Jochum's recording of the symphonies, but his Te Deum is probably still the best version of the work I've heard, even considering the sometimes clipped recording and the somewhat raw choir (as usual for the time, but they do well enough here, and definitely give the work the power it needs). Definitely one of my favourite choral works.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I figure I'll just get a recording of them at some point, rather than listening to the samples and possibly deciding that they're nice but insignificant, thus confusing my Bruckner collection drive. ;)

I came to the conclusion that they're not interesting enough for me to buy on CD, but it's nice to have heard them. 

I'd like to recommend testing out a subscription on Spotify, if you haven't tried it. It's great for checking out music to see if it's worth purchasing.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm not a big fan of what I've heard of Jochum's recording of the symphonies, but his Te Deum is probably still the best version of the work I've heard, even considering the sometimes clipped recording and the somewhat raw choir (as usual for the time, but they do well enough here, and definitely give the work the power it needs). Definitely one of my favourite choral works.

I think this is one of the choral works that in its sheer power benefits from a somewhat raw choir. I also like the massiveness of Karajan's recording?

Regarding Jochum symphony recordings, have you checked out both his EMI and DG cycles? They're definitely different interpretations. I prefer the DG set.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:39 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd like to recommend testing out a subscription on Spotify, if you haven't tried it. It's great for checking out music to see if it's worth purchasing.

I find it hard enough to listen to all the music in my collection. I would completely lose what focus I've left on my listening if I had a streaming subscription.

I think this is one of the choral works that in its sheer power benefits from a somewhat raw choir. I also like the massiveness of Karajan's recording?

I'm generally a fan of Karajan's Bruckner. His Te Deum has a slightly... awkward quality though, for lack of a better word. I like Welser-Möst's recording; it features a fine, modern choir and enough immediacy to give it a lot of impact (even if doesn't match Jochum's power). And it's coupled with a fine recording of the f minor mass.

Regarding Jochum symphony recordings, have you checked out both his EMI and DG cycles? They're definitely different interpretations. I prefer the DG set.

I've only heard a bit of his DG stuff. A bit too by the numbers for my taste, as far as I recall.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Is it greater than Carmina Burana? On the same scale? I'll give it a listen.

Totally different, I wouldn't even know how (or why) to compare the two. Orff's work is a spectacular cycle of very different kinds of choir pieces and songs, with extensive sections for soloists, varying moods and subject matters, all secular (and most quite profane and/or erotic), with lots of humour and deliberate spectacle. Bruckner's (like so many of his) is fanatically devoted (which does make for great music), with a grand plan (like the open chords accompanying all the "Deum" bits of the lyrics), structure (two mirrored slow middle moments interrupted by a fierce scherzo) and a fugue. And spectacle (and there is a lot if it) is deadly serious in this case.

What both works have in common are first rate recordings by Jochum, with Orff also getting the fantastic Janowitz/Stolze/Dieskau trio.

15 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I find it hard enough to listen to all the music in my collection. I would completely lose what focus I've left on my listening if I had a streaming subscription.

I can relate to that. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've only heard a bit of his DG stuff. A bit too by the numbers for my taste, as far as I recall.

That might be. I've been listening to Paavo Järvi's Bruckner lately. They're surely interesting.

TCHAIKOVKSY: Piano Concerto No. 1

BRAHMS: Hungarian Dances 

BALAKIREV: Oriental Fantasy from Islamey

PROKOFIEV: Peter and the Wolf (Children's Suite) 

The latter was my classical music hook as a child. It got me into the genre, and it helped that my father and school teacher at the time were very good about showing me the rounds. Peter and the Wolf is, in my mind, the epitome of instrumental connotation to characters in a story. The orchestrations are wonderful and lush, and if you are familiar with the tale it's quite an enjoyable experience. It's a rather short but sweet suite (haha!), so if you ever get the time I'd highly recommend it as an easy introduction to Prokofiev, as it is perhaps more inviting initially than his symhponies or piano concertos. 

PROKOFIEV: Love For Three Oranges

Arthur Fiedler: The Boston Pops Orchestra

Oo! Here we go! My Prokofiev composer study closes with this suite, which is inspired by a curious story, as the album's liner notes will inform you. Fiedler is like a lion tamer for the Boston Pops here- he's got to deal with so many swings in energy, from andantino to allegro. Prokofiev appeared to go all-out with some of the writing. The March movement is just so out there and yet in there all at the same time. It's a fitting ending to this little Prokofievan adventure of mine, as it holds true to many of the nuances of his other works while being very different from them still. 

Any reccomendations on Grieg (aside from Peer Gynt Suites, Piano Concerto)? Any favourite lyric pieces? I think I'll dive into some of his music next. 

46 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The Holberg Suite.  Top-shelf stuff.  

It's great, and the original piano version of the prelude is even better!

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Any reccomendations on Grieg (aside from Peer Gynt Suites, Piano Concerto)? Any favourite lyric pieces? I think I'll dive into some of his music next

Here's a good collection of mainly the best ones.

...and here's another album of selections, played on Grieg's own piano!

58 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The Holberg Suite.  Top-shelf stuff.  

Interestingly enough, I actually have that with Paul Tortelier and the Northern Sinfonia!

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Here's a good collection of mainly the best ones.

I'm only really familiar with March of the Dwarfs and Wedding Day in Troldhaugen (the latter is really good!). Thanks for the recommendations! 

On 4/28/2019 at 9:22 PM, Disco Stu said:

The first of two recent recordings of the original 1946 version of the symphony!  The Detroit performance is awe-inspiring.  I'm sorry to say that John Wilson's BBC Phil recording from last year left me less than impressed.

I created/manage the discography section for the symphony on Wiki, because I am a loser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._3_(Copland)#Discography

Nice discography, Disco Stu! I see there's a radio broadcast with one of my favorite conductors, George Szell. I see it's on Spotify - is it easily available on CD?

10 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Interestingly enough, I actually have that with Paul Tortelier and the Northern Sinfonia!

I'm only really familiar with March of the Dwarfs and Wedding Day in Troldhaugen (the latter is really good!). Thanks for the recommendations! 

Both of these are among my favorites. Another one is this:

46 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice discography, Disco Stu! I see there's a radio broadcast with one of my favorite conductors, George Szell. I see it's on Spotify - is it easily available on CD?

As far as I'm aware it is not released on CD.  In my opinion it is only interesting as an historic curio, being the earliest performance which could have been heard by a wide audience.  It's an orchestral radio broadcast from the 40s and it sounds it.

Also that digital release is mistagged.

Should be:

1. Introduction

2. I. Molto moderato

3. II. Allegro molto

4. III. Andantino quasi allegretto

5. IV. Molto deliberato - Allegro risoluto

Apologies to the Bernstein worshippers, my two favorite recordings are the Mata/Dallas Symphony and the more recent Slatkin/Detroit Symphony.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As far as I'm aware it is not released on CD.  In my opinion it is only interesting as an historic curio, being the earliest performance which could have been heard by a wide audience.  It's an orchestral radio broadcast from the 40s and it sounds it.

Also that digital release is mistagged.

Should be:

1. Introduction

2. I. Molto moderato

3. II. Allegro molto

4. III. Andantino quasi allegretto

5. IV. Molto deliberato - Allegro risoluto

Yes, I noticed that the tagging is incorrect.

I don't mind listening to old broadcast recordings of my heroes, but I do appreciate it when labels put in work to get the best possible sound out of it. Naxos' historical series is one such label.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes, I noticed that the tagging is incorrect.

I don't mind listening to old broadcast recordings of my heroes, but I do appreciate it when labels put in work to get the best possible sound out of it. Naxos' historical series is one such label.

I actually just recently ordered a radio broadcast of the Berlin Philharmonic performing the symphony, conducted by Copland in 1970.  It was unreleased until Testament Records put out a CD in 2017, that I only found out about last month.  It's completely unreleased digitally.  Being broadcast in 1970, I'm hoping the quality is at least decent.

It's also, as far as I know, the only recording to be officially released of the symphony by a continental European orchestra.  Every other recording has been from American, British, and New Zealand orchestras.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8404531--copland-symphony-no-3-clarinet-concerto

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I actually just recently ordered a radio broadcast of the Berlin Philharmonic performing the symphony, conducted by Copland in 1970.  It was unreleased until Testament Records put out a CD in 2017, that I only found out about last month.  It's completely unreleased digitally.  Being broadcast in 1970, I'm hoping the quality is at least decent.

It's also, as far as I know, the only recording to be officially released of the symphony by a continental European orchestra.  Every other recording has been from American, British, and New Zealand orchestras.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8404531--copland-symphony-no-3-clarinet-concerto

Well, I have the impression that many continental European orchestras are quite conservative when selecting their programs.

Anyway, there's two British recordings of the symphony - Horenstein recorded it after a performance with the BBC SO in 1957.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, there's two British recordings of the symphony - Horenstein recorded it after a performance with the BBC SO in 1957.

That's just a radio broadcast again, right?  If it's the one I've heard on Youtube it's an embarrassingly bad performance, like sub-student orchestra level.

Just listen to this 2nd movement.  It's disgusting!

Listened to a compilation album from the Reader's Digest: Festival of the World's Best Loved Music- CD 4

Tracklist:

1. Clarinet Candy (Anderson)

2. In the Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt Suite No. 1 (Grieg)

3. The Little Shepherd (Debussy)

4. Mazurka, Waltz and March of the Wooden Soliders (Tchaikovsky)

5. In a Clock Store (Orth)

6. The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Dukas)

7. Spring Parade March (Stolz)

8. Wedding Day in Troldhaugen (Grieg)

9. Celebration Dance from Billy the Kid (Copland)

10. Bohemian Festival from Picturesque Scenes(Massenet)

11. Westminster (Meditation) from London Suite (Coates)

12. La Calinda from Le Cid (Massenet)

13. Finlandia (Sibelius)

Some all-time classics here. A great compilation, even though I prefer listening to full works rather than excerpts. The Sorcerer's Apprentice is eternally attached to Fantasia for me. Wonderful! Clarinet Candy, Celebration Dance and the Grieg pieces are delightful. Finlandia remains awesome. Stolz, Debussy, Coates and Massenet are dark horses. 

Lovely Victoria Day weekend listening!