What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

This new recording of Rautavaara's Vigilia is good "on the far edge of a hurricane" morning music.  Both the work and the composer are new to me and it's very nice choral writing indeed.

5042536-origpic-acfd7b.jpg

This album from 1996 by Swiss group the Amati Quartet is so specific to my musical interests it's like they recorded it for me.

Their performance of Piston's Quartet No. 1 is masterful.

image.png

Been on a Lukas Foss kick this weekend.

Symphony No. 1 (1944)

Symphony No. 2 (1958)

For Aaron (2002)

And in addition to those more neoclassical/Americanist works, I've listened quite a bit to this solo piano piece from 1981, an excursion into minimalism for Foss, clearly curious to try it out in the wake of Glass, Adams, Reich, etc.

I think it's a very successful piece!  It's minimalism but with Foss' own sense of syncopated voicings.

I'm currently reading a transcript of an audience Q&A with Aaron Copland from February 24, 1937 following a "Composers' Forum" concert in New York City.  It's pretty amusing to see how an audience reacted to Copland's "modernist" music at the time (this was right at the transition point for Copland toward his more "populist" works).

Example questions:

"I have just had a hard working day.  Your music does not contribute to my evening relaxation.  Is that my fault?"

"Why do you use so many dissonances?"

"Your music makes me feel nervous and restless.  Is that how you felt when you wrote your compositions?"

"Does your music have any social significance?"

"I prefer very much Gershwin"

The last one was even of that infamous genre "more of a comment than a question"!  I enjoyed his answer to the social significance question: "All music that is any good has social significance."

I also enjoy his summation of his own music, which really does sort of work as a bare bones description of why I enjoy it.

The salient characteristics [of my music], as I see them, are in the first place, a certain massive sense and a certain attempt at quite a large and grandiose effect.  Not so much "effect" but a large and grandiose feeling in the music.  The second, is an attempt to get an alive rhythmic vitality in the music.  And the third characteristic, I should say, is an attempt to write music which is always logically constructed.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:07 PM, Loert said:

This must be one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever listened to:

Especially in his recording, because the same holds true for Janowitz's voice in general.

As mentioned in the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread -- live performances of Stravinsky's FIREBIRD and Ravels' DAPHNE & CHlOÉ yesterday.

I don't own DAPHNE, but I have a CD set of Michael Tilson Thomas' Stravinsky set. 3CD set that includes THE FIREBIRD, PERSEPHONE and THE RITE OF SPRING. Brilliant (but weirdly mixed -- highs are too high, and lows are too low).

I reckon they performed one of the suites from Daphne. I recommend getting the whole work - there's a very good recording on Naxos by some French orchestra, but I'm too lazy to get up from the couch to check which one.

They did, yes. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. It was weird going from Stravinsky to straight-from-the-heart impressionism, but it worked!

A few selections from Leonard Bernstein's repertoire, namely Three Dance Episodes from On the Town, excerpts from On the Waterfront and West Side Story, and Fancy Free Ballet, a fine treat. Conducted by the composer himself, with guest Andre Kostelanetz, and the New York Philharmonic. 

Also, what better way to start ones day than with two of my favourite Debussy standalones: Tarantelle Styrienne (orch. Ravel) and Rhapsodie for Clarinet and Orchestra, a real beauty. 

It's funny how Bernstein's absorption of Copland's 1925 suite, Music for the Theatre, as an influence is so complete that listening in 2019, the "Burlesque" movement just sounds like a Bernstein composition!

I have this video of a live performance of Copland's Third by Slatkin and the DSO from 2015 I think.  The performance of the 2nd movement, the scherzo, is so gloriously cathartic I get really into it every time I watch, really swept along by the grandiosity of it all.  And then the audience breaks into spontaneous applause as soon as it's done.  Usually something of a no-no to clap between movements but you can tell the audience was just so overwhelmed they had to show their enthusiasm.  It's fucking great.  A real magical moment I'm so happy was on camera.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:35 PM, Bespin said:

Bach's big Mess in B Menor. :lovethis:

Bach's big Mess! ROTFLMAO

On 9/6/2019 at 2:22 PM, Disco Stu said:

This new recording of Rautavaara's Vigilia is good "on the far edge of a hurricane" morning music.  Both the work and the composer are new to me and it's very nice choral writing indeed.

5042536-origpic-acfd7b.jpg

Stu, try his ANGELS series. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think I'd like Wagner operas more if they didn't have all that annoying singing

That's a bit like saying "I would enjoy flying more if airplanes didn't have wings".

On a more serious note, sometimes the vibrato can get annoying...Older recordings don't suffer from this problem so much I've found. It also helps a lot if you understand what they are singing!