The official HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON thread

Naïve Old Fart

I think it’s time for someone far more knowledgeable than I to do a theme catalogue/track analysis ala SW and LOTR. I still don’t know all the themes and motifs in this trilogy; there are so many!

I haven't the mental energy to do every theme in one huge post, but I'll start you off with what I consider to be Hiccup's theme.

Pretty much the entirety of this track.

And 3:15 of this one.

And 3:52 of this one.

1 hour ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

I haven't the mental energy to do every theme in one huge post, but I'll start you off with what I consider to be Hiccup's theme.

Pretty much the entirety of this track.

And 3:15 of this one.

And 3:52 of this one.

Thanks! What about the so-called "Lost and Found" theme I keep hearing about?

36 minutes ago, Locrius said:

Thanks! What about the so-called "Lost and Found" theme I keep hearing about?

I'm at work right now so I can't link videos and specific points, but you can especially look for it in "Toothless Found" and "Losing Mom" in HTTYD2 (the latter having a piano rendition of it, if I recall correctly).

What the hey, I'll do another theme ID, since I'm a rare lad that's actually watched these movies and thus has some idea what theme applies to who/what. :P

This is the theme for the beautiful thief of my heart, Astrid! My otherwise cold dead cat-loving heart ignites whenever it pops up throughout the three scores.

Image result for astrid gif

2:59

And of course, Romantic Flight. Also opens the cue "Coming Back Around". In HTTYD2, you'll hear it in "Hiccup the Chief" and the latter half of "Two New Alphas". 

Is this movie not coming to IMAX? I wanted to pre-order my tickets for it but see no IMAX screenings anywhere in my area and even beyond. 3D is really scarce as well. I usually don't care for 3D especially, but this series is one of the few where it really excels. Anyone else notice this? (I'm in the United States in California)

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, dougie said:

Is there a hot blonde in these movies who controls the dragons?

I don't know what the heck you mean by "controls", but Astrid's a darling! 

Oh, it's a Game of Thrones reference. Sorry. I don't keep up with what you kids watch nowadays!

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I've always wondered what this recurring motif represents. The moments this riff plays in don't seem to have an obvious connection to me. 

I always thought of it as a Hiccup/Toothless bonding theme or something like that.

Karol

It’s in Forbidden Friendship too! I feel like such an idiot for not noticing that until now and I’ve heard that track a billion times! 

Edit: And now I'm realizing it's in Romantic Flight and others, and I never noticed it because Powell's playing it at different speeds, tempos, chords, etc. Or I'm an unobservant idiot.

I have always thought of it as Toothless' theme, or at least his portion of the Friendship/Flying Theme and it only connects with the other portion when Hiccup and T start bonding

I have heard people call it the Friendship Ostinato.

I feel so embarrassed I never fully noticed its many appearances until now. Which is to say, never realized 'hey, that's the same melody as this part!', basically. I call myself a fanatic and there's still so many little pieces I have yet to fully discover. 

You can also hear it peeking out from behind the Hidden World theme in 'The Hidden World' and the Suite - most obviously near 3:00 in the former track, I think? Unless that's the Fate riff, I'm not actually so sure, listening to it back again. But yeah, it's in 'Where No One Goes', 'Test Drive', and... everywhere! :)

• 2 years later...

Can’t think of another series of scores*  composed in this last decade that are more worthy of this treatment :)  Very exciting news indeed

(*That aren’t Middle-Earth Related or composed by JW)

Absolutely true.

As far as 2010s scores go, the Hobbit tril, HTTYD tril, and Star Wars sequel tril are all worth writing books about.

Nothing else is.

Hunger games scores? X-Men scores?  MCU scores? Game of Thrones scores? I don't think so.

I'm not necessarily saying they are bad scores, but is there enough themes in them, enough remarkable passages no one else would write, enough interesting techniques and different / unique instruments and writing techniques used, that would warrant a multiple-hundred page discussion of them?  The HTTYD, Hobbit, and SW Sequel scores all have all that in spades, from what I have heard in the HG scores, they do not

John Powell, aka one of the greatest composers of modern cinema! I really don't like Zimmer as much as Powell, because, at least to me, Powell has more creativity and depth in his compositions! I'm not saying that Interstellar or The DaVinci Code don't have much depth to them, but Powell somehow sounds more "rich", at least to me.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm listening to the Gettsburgs OST album by Randy Edelman and getting strong How To Train Your Dragon main theme vibes.... anyone else ever pick up on this?

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

So I'm listening to the Gettsburgs OST album by Randy Edelman and getting strong How To Train Your Dragon main theme vibes.... anyone else ever pick up on this?

Haha. Very similar “inspirational moment” chord progressions. I love that score. My history teacher Mother would always play the Gettysburg soundtrack on cassette (!) when we would take long road trips to Wyoming. 

Always had a soft spot for Randy Edelman:)

I'm halfway through the OST album now and not liking it too much, and haven't heard any more HTTYD-ness after the first 2 tracks

I wonder if the film was temp-tracked with Gettsyburg in spots?