Are you currently writing, or seriously planning to write, a book on John Williams?

Jurassic Shark

Are you currently writing, or are you planning to write, a book on John Williams?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you currently writing, or are you planning to write, a book on John Williams?

• Yes, a non-academic book
    • Yes, an academic book
    • No

Just curious, as I've observed several posters writing about book plans. And who will be the first to publish a non-academic biography?

For those who answer yes, could you write a few words about your upcoming book?

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just curious, as I've observed several posters writing about book plans. And who will be the first to publish a non-academic biography?

For those who answer yes, could you write a few words about your upcoming book?

Not me.  I write horribly!!!🤣

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

John Williams: A Life in OSTs

In Swedish and as you well know Norwegian ost means cheese so every time I see that abbreviation I get a cheesy feeling. :P 

18 minutes ago, Incanus said:

In Swedish and as you well know Norwegian ost means cheese so every time I see that abbreviation I get a cheesy feeling. :P 

Yeah, I guess that's why @Thor likes it so much!

So, are you one of those Swedish speaking Finns?

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I guess that's why @Thor likes it so much!

So, are you one of those Swedish speaking Finn?

Swedish is our second official language so we learn it in school so I speak Swedish or rather read it and write it much better than I speak it.

32 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Swedish is our second official language so we learn it in school so I speak Swedish or rather read it and write it much better than I speak it.

I thought it wasn't mandatory anymore in the Finnish language areas.

So, to sum up, we've got the following upcoming books:

@Thor's book, possibly titled ANTEDILUVIAN. A biography that probably concentrates on JW's earlier years in Hollywood, with focus on obscure scores, and the occasional praise of OSTs.

@Falstaft's academic book, probably based on his research papers, PhD thesis, catalogue of SW leitmotifs, and/or web articles.

Then there's a rumor that @Doug Adams is writing a book on JW, but that's unconfirmed. I guess he'll first have to publish his silent film book and the Hobbit book.

I'm pretty sure that at least one more contributor at JWFan is currently writing a book, but I can't remember the person's user name. Please, come forward!

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Ost means cheese in Danish, as well. That confused me a bit as a kid, when I started getting into online film music discussions.

Just now, Once said:

Ost means cheese in Danish, as well. That confused me a bit as a kid, when I started getting into online film music discussions.

Hehe, I guess you thought soundtrack nerds were mainly into cheesy films! Btw, I didn't know you're Danish!

A lovely milestone to be sure! Congrats! To think of all the institutional knowledge contained among the site’s grandees... all the JW minutiae and trivia written here since 1999... makes me wish I’d known about this place before 2015. 

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Well, it's not an actual book, that will be published that is, but it's my PhD dissertation on Williams' style, which is strictly musicological.

I had planned it as a 4 chapter (beyond the introductory chapter) dissertation, but it seems it will be 3 in the end.

I have written more than 1,5 chapters till now (around 150 pages) and at this rate I hope to have finished it by the end of the year, because I have already been very very late.

it will be unfortunately in Greek.

When I finish it and it is accepted, i was planning to upload it here, just for looking at the numerous musical examples and diagrams, so that someone could get an idea of it.

That's interesting! I suppose you don't want to reveal any details about the thesis' content before it's published. But once it is, perhaps you could give a summary here in English!

Cyberspace. The final frontier. These are the postings of the forum JWFan. Its continuing mission: To explore OSTs, to seek out new expansions...to boldly quote as no one has quoted before.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:24 AM, Ludwig said:

I have written academic papers on JW and film music, yes: in this collection, and this article, along with several conference papers. I think writing a book on Williams is probably in the cards for me in the not-insanely-distant future, but life is packed to the brim at the moment. It would likely be aimed at composers and analysts because I feel that a book like this is long overdue.

Good! If such a book would be inspired by the articles on your website, I'd certainly read it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

About a year has passed since the creation of this thread, and I wonder what's the status of the three book projects. Would you care to give us an update, @Thor, @filmmusic, and @Falstaft? As for myself, the progress on my JW coloring book has been quite nonexistent.