Hans Zimmer's THE THIN RED LINE (1998) - 2019 4-CD La-La Land Edition

Jay

ThinRedLine-Large__42863.1549393387.jpg?

“THE THIN RED LINE: 20th ANNIV. LIMITED EDITON (4-CD SET)”
Music by Hans Zimmer
Limited Edition of 3500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $59.98
STARTS SHIPPING 2/12

La-La Land Records, Fox Music, 20th Century Fox and Sony Music proudly present the 4 CD expanded and remastered reissue of renowned composer Hans Zimmer’s (DUNKIRK, INTERSTELLAR, THELMA & LOUISE), masterful original motion picture score to the 1998 epic WWII drama, THE THIN RED LINE, starring Sean Penn, Adrien Brody and Woody Harrelson, and written and directed by Terrence Malick.

Having been present at the film’s scoring sessions, Reissue Album Producer for 20th Century Fox, Nick Redman, describes composer Zimmer’s score as, “…a gorgeous tapestry unfurling before us, shimmering majestically in the air… There were many moments where the score moved one to tears: the juxtaposition of music with image was so affecting.” Finally, this powerful and important score has been given a deluxe treatment worthy of its breadth and scope in a new presentation that is greatly expanded beyond its initial soundtrack release - with a bounty of never-before-released material. 

Discs 1&2 present the film score as written in chronological film order (Disc 2 also contains additional alternates), while Disc 3 features the remastered original 1999 soundtrack album and Disc 4 contains RCA’s album of Melanesian chants from the film.

Produced by Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino, and mastered by Daniel Hersch, this special release, approved by the composer and Alan Meyerson (scoring mixer) features a 36-page booklet with a note from album producer Nick Redman and exclusive in-depth liners by writer Jeff Bond, including new comments from Zimmer. The elegant art design is by Dan Goldwasser. This is a limited edition of 3500 Units.

La-La Land Records dedicates this release in memory of producer Nick Redman (1955-2019).

TRACK LISTING
Disc 1 - The Film Score
1.Nature Montage  5:38
2.Witt With Melanesians  2:54
3.Witt In Brig / Tall And Quintard  8:27
4.Staros Below Deck  1:58
5.March Inland  8:21
6.Staros Prays  2:23
7.The Grass / Tall Calls Staros  3:27
8.Keck’s Death  4:47
9.Walsh Helps Tella  2:20
10.Staros Refuses Order  8:11
11.Bell’s Patrol  3:58
12.Bell Goes Alone  3:31
13.Welsh & Witt Talk  3:49
14.Gaff’s Party Leaves  3:17
15.Gaff’s Party Returns  2:04
16.Attack On The Bivouac (Long Version)  11:03
Total Disc 1 Time = 76:11

Disc 2 - The Film Score (Continued)
1.Staros Is Relieved  2:08
2.Tall Does Nails  1:22
3.Airfield – Bell Flashback  5:57
4.Marty’s Letter  3:42
5.Village Flashback  2:04
6.Witt Travels  5:48
7.Japanese Appear – Witt Chased  5:27
8.Witt Killed  2:15
9.Witt’s Funeral  5:17
10.Cemetery  4:48
11.End Credits  5:23
12.Concerto For Beam (Extended Version)  6:09 - written by John Powell, featuring Francesco Lupica
Total Score Time = 2:06:31

Additional Music
13.Keck’s Death (Alternate)  4:32
14.Gaff’s Party Returns (Alternate)  2:05
15.Attack On The Bivouac (Short Version)  8:05
16.Staros Is Relieved (Alternate)  3:06
17.Tall Does Nails (Alternate)  1:30
18.Witt Travels (Alternate)  6:43
Total Additional Music = 26:01
Total Disc 2 Time = 76:23

Disc 3 - The Original Soundtrack Album
1.The Coral Atoll  8:02
2.The Lagoon  8:41
3.Journey To The Line  9:17
4.Light  7:21
5.Beam  3:44 - written by John Powell, featuring Francesco Lupica
6.Air  2:21
7.Stone In My Heart  4:28
8.The Village  5:53
9.Silence  5:05
10.God Yu Tekem Laef Blong Mi  1:58
11.Sit Back And Relax  2:06 - written and performed by Francesco Lupica
“The Coral Atoll” and “Light” contain original adaptation of “Christian Race”, an American folk hymn
Total Disc 3 Time = 59:00

Disc 4 - Melanesian Choirs: The Blessed Islands – Chants From The Thin Red Line
1. Jisas Yu Holem Hand Blong Mi  1:23
2. Soon My Lord  1:17
3. God Yu Tekkem Laef Blong Mi  2:15
4. Early Morning At Tabalia  :29
5. Procession Chant 1  1:29
6. Procession Chant 2 (Kustom Tune)  :57
7. Holly  1:43
8. Procession Chant 3  1:05
9. We Love to Sing  3:41 
10. Mi Go Longway  2:53
11. Jisas, Masta Mi Save  3:00
12. Procession Chant 4  :38
13. Together Be  2:28
14. Sunday Service Hymn  1:45
15. Halleluia!, Sing To Jesus  1:32
16. Jesus, You Are Here  2:17
17. Bybye  2:36
18. We Are One Big Happy Family  2:32
19. Traditional Lullaby  2:19
20. Cho Cho Vancho  1:26
21. Remember  :57
22. God All Mighty  1:56
23. Jisas Yu Holem Hand Blong Mi  2:46
24. Pray For Us  2:11
25. Procession Chorus  3:19
26. Kyrie  3:03
Total Disc 4 Time = 52:01
Total Four Disc Time = 4:23:35

https://lalalandrecords.com/thin-red-line-the/

Hard choices had to be made from a business POV to cut down a score from 384 minutes long into two CD totalling 152 minutes... yikes.

Is there anything on CD3 that is not on the two first CD?  And how many of the chants on CD4 are actually in the movie?  What are the great stuff missing from the leaked sessions bootleg (not counting the classical pieces)?

I've never seen the film, or heard any music from it, but I've heard it discussed enough around here that I'm interested to give it a try. However, 4 discs is a lot... and then on top of that, even with 4 discs, some music is missing?

What's the deal with this score? Why would it need to be 384 minutes long in the first place? Were these "chants" recorded specifically for the movie, and why are there enough of them to fill an entire disc?

It might be enough to make me wanna get the OST and stay blissfully ignorant of whatever might be missing.

Really special score.  The amount of material makes it hard to come up with a truly definitive presentation, but it's great to see it getting this treatment.  Really a masterwork of film and music.

6 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

I've never heard it.  Must needs rectify that, then.

Zimmer's finest. Or at least his most seminal work.

There is some beautiful music in the full sessions. While it's definitely overkill, I'll be picking it up.

Main post updated with a high-res cover and a link to where SAMPLES can be listened to

Starts shipping Feb 12 - just assume that will be delayed, so you won't be disappointed when it is!

Might be fees for Zimmer, Badelt, Powell, the Melanesian vocalists... it adds up.

I'm only mildly familiar with the score but I remember liking it. Maybe one to pair with Superman next month?

Bit surprised by the tracklist though. Weren't people saying Zimmer wrote over 5 hours of music for this film due to changes in post? Once I saw it was 4 CDs I assumed it would feature an entire disc of alternates, so discs 3 and 4 being reissues of existing releases surprises me. Maybe including those was their way of helping justify the set's price tag (due to some exorbitant licensing fees), or it was just a contractual requirement to include the OST. 

There were a number of wild takes and alternates from the sessions that were not included on this release.

I'm surprised that they didn't include the 20-minute version of "Sit Back and Relax"

I love this score, for me is Zimmer & Co. best work, but I'm not so convinced with the edition. I'm not sure how much the original album adds (and I already own it) and I listened to the Melanesian Choirs some time ago and found it difficult to enjoy. In any case, I'm considering buying it for the first 2 CD's and I guess the liner notes would be also worth it.

Revisiting the sessions and comparing to the OST, the only cue I found myself wanting to add was 'Witt With Melanisians' (although which version they've included is the question). It's a case where I think Zimmer did a superb job condensing the score into a listening experience.

The only single cue you need from this score is this very famous section from Journey to the Line that has been used in countless trailers and videos.

Beginning from 2:52 to 5:12 is the probably the best 2 minutes 20 seconds of Zimmer's so-so career. 

Congrats to LLL, an impressive release for Zimmer’s fans to have. And bittersweet that Nick Redman didn’t get to enjoy the reaction of this release.

Plus we now don’t have to worry about the constant “when is this getting released / are you going to release it?” posts. Another one down.

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

People were clamoring for this one?

Yes. Maybe not as much as some scores but I’d see plenty of requests at FSM.

Plus there’s always the LLL Black Friday speculations and it seemed to be included.

Those samples, are these from highlight tracks? Because I hear a few sweet passages among surrounding drivel. 

Zimmer's music is so aggravating to someone who wants music to be diverse. He occasionally finds a really nice melody or motif or hook, and then he just stays there and repeats it ad nauseam, in the most clumsy way. And once he's done that to a motif for 5+ minutes, he calls it a suite.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Why do you even bother?

Koray, what do you think of this presentation? I've never heard the sessions myself but would be interested to hear from someone more knowledgeable? Would you say it is a comprehensive presentation?

Karol

8 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Zimmer's music is so aggravating to someone who wants music to be diverse. He occasionally finds a really nice melody or motif or hook, and then he just stays there and repeats it ad nauseam, in the most clumsy way. And once he's done that to a motif for 5+ minutes, he calls it a suite.

I agree with this to an extent - I find a similar problem with Interstellar. Both scores have some interesting melodic ideas, but when I listen to the full score as composed, the variety that you get with most scores just isn't there. It's the same 4 or 5 melodic ideas in various instrumentations, but it feels like those variations aren't dictinctive enough.

I happen to love the ambient/drone sound of TTRL but I think the OST is a very good summation of all his ideas without the repetition.

so... for those who have this set already, what are the essential tracks missing from the sessions that would be necessary to complete this release?  I guess the 4 classical pieces ((Annum per annum, Requiem, Prophecy of the Village Kremna, THe Unanswered question) are an easy anwser, with the complete "sit back and relax" and "cosmic beam experience" ??

• 2 weeks later...

I've "added" a fifth disc with these classical (or by others) pieces that were on the leaked sessions, any help if there is any other content to add?

01 - 20:05 - Sit Back And Relax - Francesco Lupica
02 - 07:34 - Annum Per Annum - Arvo Part
03 - 04:12 - Requiem In Paradisum - Gabriel Faure
04 - 26:11 - Prophecy Of The Village Kremna - Arsenije Jovanovic
05 - 06:08 - The Unanswered Question - Charles Ives
06 - 11:52 - Cosmic Beam Experience - Francesco Lupica

Total disc: 1:16:06

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 1:52 AM, crocodile said:

Koray, what do you think of this presentation? I've never heard the sessions myself but would be interested to hear from someone more knowledgeable? Would you say it is a comprehensive presentation?

Karol

I'm probably biased since this is one of my favorite films and scores, but yes. Price tag is steep for what is essentially a 2-disc presentation, but that's still 2.5 hours of music.

• 2 years later...

So...after the announcement, no one who got the LLL set posted any experience here in the subsequent two years? Some film music fans y'all are. :D

I don't know this score. Keep meaning to check it out (I think I heard the OST and some of the session leak long ago, and of course know Journey to the Line, but that's about it) 

1 hour ago, Kühni said:

So...after the announcement, no one who got the LLL set posted any experience here in the subsequent two years? Some film music fans y'all are. :D

Porbably because

1: Its Hans

2: there was a sessions leak.

2 hours ago, Kühni said:

Weird.

Someone at FSM just revived this topic also.

My comments there are still definitive. 😎

1 hour ago, Falco said:

Porbably because

1: Its Hans

2: there was a sessions leak.

3. It's not STAR WARS😠😡

2 hours ago, Kühni said:

They're still drooling over SOLO.😒

My position on the score remains the same - the OST is one of my all-time favourite concept albums, and the expanded release is  a bit of an organised creative mess. Part of me thought that when the expansion was announced, I might enjoy it as 'more of the OST', but it doesn't work like that.

I want to clarify that I haven't lunged into Thor's end of the swimming pool - it's fantastic that the release allowed fans of the full score to hear it, and it's good that it happened. But my view on the OST is basically the same as Thor's (although I added one cue to it, which I originally heard on a Badelt promo)

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I want to clarify that I haven't lunged into Thor's end of the swimming pool

Good, because it's empty. :tumbleweed:

37 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

(although I added one cue to it, which I originally heard on a Badelt promo)

The instrumental version of "Jisas yu holy (...)"? I was vexed, YES vexed, to no end, that this particular version wasn't (couldn't?) be included as part of the alternates.

May I ask whether you have that file in hi-res? My YT rip suffices on laptop/headphones, but not on the stereo.

Well the ost is FANTASTIC but...

the cue you mentioned and.the OTHER Melanesian tune are absolutely essential.

They make a great listen a greatest of all-time .

The Basalt version is on the LLL with only a minor difference. The one you speak of is on YT in good quality