Are you sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores?

Jurassic Shark

Are you sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are you sick and tired of the infinite stream of predictable superhero flicks, with predictable scores?

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

You really come off as a snowflake today.

I am not the one who created this poll. Its okay to be needy stuart. You are strong enough, good enough and doggone it people like you.

3 hours ago, dougie said:

Sure they'll do big business but will anyone remember them five or ten years from now? Will they make a significant impact on popular culture where they're quoted relentlessly and become regarded as an enduring touchstone of the era? Or will they fade into obscurity and bleed into the rest of their interchangeable cousins? These movies are more ephemeral than ever.

Those suffering from their white privilege will surely disagree  but Black Panther will be remembered for several reasons. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He's not wrong!

Hes not right either. He practically invented blockbuster cinema without even trying

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Well they told us that this was going to happen. Infinity War. Infinity. INFINITY! It's not going to end, don't we understand that?!

Marisa Tomei stands in the corner tapping her foot.

6 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Tapping her foot to a Silvestri score, if I might add.

Predictably. 😜

I'm not bothered by them.  They're comfort food for me in the same way that, like, pizza is a comfort food for me.  Sure I wouldn't eat it every day, but it does the trick a lot of the time.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2018-movie-release-dates/#1459583895082-cd631c02-2538

Here is a list of all the US theatrical releases last year.  I hand counted them, so I may have slurred a number or two together here - but there were 136 wide releases and 266 limited releases, which means a total of 402 movies.  This does not include made-for-TV movies or direct-to-streaming movies (such as big hits this year from Netflix like Bird Box), nor does it include countless foreign language movies.

Aquaman

Black Panther

Avengers

Deadpoop

Ant-man

Venmo

Spider-man Into the Spider-man

Teen Titans Go!

At least 1/4 of them (the animated ones) are inarguably not "samey," but even if you lump them in, that's 8 movies.  <6% of the wide released movies in the US, and <2% of the total theatrical release.  Even disregarding the huge number of OTHER movies - streaming, TV, foreign, etc - that came out this year in a non-theatrical way, the amount of superhero stuff is minor. So assuming you watch all of them despite being frustrated by their existence (which even I haven't, and I'm not frustrated), that's <20 hours of your year.  Doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me.

Of course if you're already frustrated by them, the barrage of advertising is probably worse for you.

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Of course if you're already frustrated by them, the barrage of advertising is probably worse for you.

They do get very much attention at the expense of other movies.

Good post, btw. 👍

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good post, btw. 👍

They are marketed to their potential. Mstrox missed the Incredibles 2.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Great Barry score. Is the film any good, yeah?

Short answer: yeah.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

This weekend I will rewatch Out of Africa. That’s a real movie.

You could have asked.

I did; she said "yes".

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And that is exactly what got many directors worrying. If it's not a superhero or some famous franchise, it has become hard, if not impossible to get the attention of investors. Is it any wonder that more and more filmmakers are turning to Netflix? 

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

And that is exactly what got many directors worrying. If it's not a superhero or some famous franchise, it has become hard, if not impossible to get the attention of investors. Is it any wonder that more and more filmmakers are turning to Netflix? 

Only because Netflix has loads of cash and quality is irrelevant. 99 % of Netflix is garbage.

I bet Jurassic snark is in a mood that Avengers Endgame clocks in at 3 hours.

When I was a kid we had superior funny book movies and soundtracks like Superman - The Movie, Batman, The Rocketeer and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was never superior. It was and will always be junk.

In the top 100 films last year 9 were superhero films

14 were horror films, 

8 were animated

Most films mix genres